Gransnet forums

AIBU

St George's Day...

(8 Posts)
Penstemmon Wed 23-Apr-14 15:54:57

also taught this lad whose fans call him St George!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Groves_(boxer)

Penstemmon Wed 23-Apr-14 15:52:39

My dad went to St George's School...in Jerusalem!
My first teaching job was in St George's School in Battersea!
Good old StG!!dragon

annodomini Wed 23-Apr-14 15:52:00

In Spain on a Ramblers' holiday, I went to a St George's Day pageant in the Conquistador city of Caceres of which he is the patron saint. This involved a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between Christians and Moors, the finale being St George riding onto the stage on a white horse and plunging his spear into the dragon. This was the cue for a spectacular fireworks display.

gillybob Wed 23-Apr-14 15:47:26

Bloomin' heck , Georgie boy didn't 'alf get around Penstemmon smile

No wonder we don't celebrate him much if we have to share him with that many other people.

Penstemmon Wed 23-Apr-14 15:35:43

I think there may be celebrations elsewhere in the world for him so someone somewhere is making sure he is recognised!

"He is patron saint not only of England but also of Aragon, Catalonia, Georgia, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Germany and Greece; and of Moscow, Istanbul, Genoa and Venice (second to Saint Mark). He's also patron saint of soldiers, archers, cavalry and chivalry, farmers and field workers, riders and saddlers, and he helps those suffering from leprosy, plague and syphilis. In recent years he has been adopted as patron saint of Scouts." BBC website

Riverwalk Wed 23-Apr-14 15:08:49

English people in the main are not really interested in/knowledgeable about St George - so yes you are being unreasonable!

I'm glad we don't do flag-waving nationalism.

There are always attempts to 'big-up' George but it seems we don't have an appetite for such nonsense.

tanith Wed 23-Apr-14 12:55:27

There is another thread on the subject papaoscar. Happy St.Georges Day to you.

papaoscar Wed 23-Apr-14 12:42:05

Anybody got a message for England's Saint on his national day?