Gransnet forums

AIBU

adverts to be banned

(67 Posts)
jocelyne Fri 25-Apr-14 08:32:47

This could be a stand-alone section I fear. I am very angry with NatWest the bank for their latest advert featuring a large picture of a lovely little girl holding a huge ice-cream covered with syrup and sugar etc..Is this in line with all the health recommendations and the obesity problem ? of course not. We do not need this type of adverts, it is like advertising tobacco or alcohol, should be banned. What do you think ?

petra Fri 25-Apr-14 16:43:48

Janeainsworth. I abhore anything, and anybody that smacks of ' The thought Police, The PC Brigade, and Big Brother. This really hit a nerve with me, as you can probably tell.
I don't think that I have ever replied to any contentious post as I have to this one.

GrandmaSandra Fri 25-Apr-14 16:40:50

I don't see any problem whatsoever with a child eating an ice cream in an advert. I'm more bothered that we, as a society, seem to want to remove every possible bit of fun from our children's lives. It is the parents' responsibility to monitor their children's intake of sugary treats, and I don't really think an ad for a bank is going to make them all rush to the nearest ice cream shop.

merlotgran Fri 25-Apr-14 16:32:41

I have finished off many a 99 flake that the DGCs can't get through before the chocolate disappears over the side. shock

I still have all my teeth.

Ana Fri 25-Apr-14 16:27:05

It's a tiny part of the advert, for goodness sake! Blink and you'd miss it!

What a fuss about nothing...

merlotgran Fri 25-Apr-14 16:26:50

I didn't mean the ice cream van was doing the filming. confused

I think I need a brew grin

granjura Fri 25-Apr-14 16:22:06

What a shame.... again.

Sugar in high proportion, much of it hidden in a modern kid's diet, can and does kill, no question.

A new study estimates 35 million deaths a year worldwide can be laid at the door of sugar. In fact, if sugar were a drug it wouldn’t get a licence to market because of its side-effects and complications.

merlotgran Fri 25-Apr-14 16:21:01

Having read the mother's blog I'm staggered that the little girl needed a stand in AND a body double. She was also allowed time off school.....No fine?? Why was it necessary to travel from Dorking to Horsham to be filmed by an ice cream van. Couldn't the mountain have come to Mohammed?

What a parlaver.

Eloethan Fri 25-Apr-14 16:20:38

I think the real danger is the substantial amounts of sugar that are added to processed foods like pizza, which a lot of people would not expect and would not be aware of (I wasn't aware of it myself until recently).

Although I think consuming excessive amounts of sugar is unwise, I don't entirely agree with the original post. I think the hysteria that's generated around all these health scares - some of which have been retracted in later years - serves only to make people unreceptive to any advice regarding healthy eating.

Ana Fri 25-Apr-14 16:13:48

You're right merlot. No syrup and sugar etc. Just an ice cream cornet with a flake in it.

merlotgran Fri 25-Apr-14 16:08:58

I didn't see a huge ice cream covered with syrup and sugar just a 99 flake. Have I been looking at the wrong advert? confused

janeainsworth Fri 25-Apr-14 15:57:59

Do you think it's a good thing when GN members are deliberately unpleasant to each other, then Petra? hmm

Ana Fri 25-Apr-14 15:53:34

Well, at least you're honest, petra... hmm

petra Fri 25-Apr-14 15:37:44

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

durhamjen Fri 25-Apr-14 15:36:21

She didn't sound as if she had much of a Glasgow accent, either.

Ana Fri 25-Apr-14 15:30:53

I wasn't questioning your views, Jane, just the assumption made by durhamjen.

janeainsworth Fri 25-Apr-14 15:26:11

Don't worry jen smile
I shall continue to express my personal views on Gransnet, just like everyone else grin
I agree with merlot too about child actors.

durhamjen Fri 25-Apr-14 15:19:23

Sorry, Janea, I was trying to stick up for you. Not allowed to have a personal view. I agree, jingle, re "get a life". However, I may have jinxed you now!

rosesarered Fri 25-Apr-14 15:19:06

I have never heard anything so ridiculous as worrying about an ad with a child eating an ice cream in it.My first thought was; is it April 1st again?
So,Jocelyn I think you are on your own here, and maybe it IS a joke hey?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 25-Apr-14 15:18:23

Not really! Keep the recipes coming!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 25-Apr-14 15:17:40

Gransnet should not have any recipes for cakes.

Norty Gransnet! shock

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 25-Apr-14 15:14:37

I hate the saying "get a life". Unpleasant put down.

Ana Fri 25-Apr-14 15:13:07

I don't see why anyone should be 'allowed to tell us all off'! hmm
I didn't get the impression Jane was talking about dental health, anyway...

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 25-Apr-14 15:13:03

She is supposed to be in musing mode! About her mummy being magic. grin

petra Fri 25-Apr-14 15:12:05

I've got a couple of hair shirts here if you would like them.

durhamjen Fri 25-Apr-14 15:06:58

Janea is a dentist, and as such should be allowed to tell us all off for eating too much icecream. The girl said she didn't want any more icecream after being made to eat too many for the photoshoot, so some good may have come out of it.
On a different point, do your grandchildren talk at that tempo? I'd be telling mine to hurry up and get on with it.
A Saatchi advert, eh?