Gransnet forums

AIBU

Missing luggage

(32 Posts)
Flowerofthewest Thu 01-May-14 18:48:31

.....to expect the one item of luggage ( a massive rucksack) that I need for my annual trip to Skomer Island to be easily found in my smallish house. I have also lost the suitcase I 'think' I put it in for storage. We have looked in the box room (a feat in itself). In the loft - no luck. In the, what used to be, office which is now a heap of DH's stuff of his late (17 year) mum, and his office from when he retired (9 years). We have pulled out two wardrobes, searched the heap of junk in the garage lost souls graveyard. No luck. He even suggested that I had left it when we last went on holiday. I think I would notice several items of clothing missing. Also had the brainwave that I may have 'vacuum sealed' them. Ever tried vacuum sealing a suitcase. I think not.

annodomini Wed 07-May-14 15:14:35

My last but two mobile phone vanished. I tried ringing the number - no response either in the house or in the car. I searched the car because that was where I remembered using it last. Went under the seats, in every possible hiding place - and came to the conclusion that it must have fallen out when I stopped to pick up a passenger, but couldn't find it outside his flat either. Reluctantly I concluded it was gone for good and acquired a new one. Months later, after I had had to brake suddenly, what shot out from under the car seat? Yes, you knew this was coming, didn't you? However, when my sister lost hers in Spain, there was no such happy outcome.

glammanana Tue 06-May-14 11:03:32

roses I am convinced that there is an "old socks club" somewhere where they all dance about laughing at us grin
One August I went to the xmas shop (yes I know it was far too early) which had just opened in Albert Dock L'pool for some pretty special decorations for the tree,the assistant packed them up well with tissue and gave me a lovely bag to keep them in until I needed them,they where put under the stairs on top of a box which was full of other decorations,they where never seen again and from that day to this I have no clue where they went as the bag was very attractive so no one would have thrown them out by mistake,very strange indeed every year since we mention the saga of the missing decorations.

rosesarered Tue 06-May-14 10:39:11

Elegran you are right! The moment you buy a replacement, the original turns up..... ususally in the place where it should be and you have already checked there, it's weird.I had to replace small Easter eggs [and they turned up the minute I bought the new ones.] Last week we searched for the Rose Clear in the garden shed, as the roses had black spot, only a small and fairly tidy shed, no luck, thought we must have used it so bought another.The second I got back from shopping [with a new Rose Clear] the DH said he had found it while I was shopping, in the shed, where we had looked before. Unbelievable. A few days ago, our front door key vanished from it's usual spot, and I know that it's somewhere, hiding and laughing and waiting for me to have a new key cut.Don't even get me started on the 'where do odd socks go' question.All I know is, that there IS a place.

AlieOxon Sun 04-May-14 13:45:50

I had one of those too....dunno where it went!

sunseeker Sun 04-May-14 12:24:37

My DH was always misplacing his keys so I bought him a key ring which if you whistle it would whistle back - he lost it!

grannyactivist Sun 04-May-14 12:15:51

Some years ago I 'misplaced' both my mobile phone AND a landline handset at the same time. Neither of them have been seen again. shock

AlieOxon Sun 04-May-14 12:03:53

Murphy's Law......

Elegran Sat 03-May-14 22:18:14

That is the most sure way of finding anything - buy a replacement.

annodomini Sat 03-May-14 22:06:02

Alie, I have two small hammers because when I lost one I went and bought another. Then, of course, the original one turned up.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 03-May-14 21:32:53

Surely that depends on how big her freezer is, doesn't it?

rosequartz Sat 03-May-14 21:08:10

But will you be able to see to find them? grin

Elegran Sat 03-May-14 20:56:32

So maybe my distance glasses are in the freezer. That seems quite possible.

rosequartz Sat 03-May-14 20:52:51

I bought the DD2 some socks years ago when I was grocery shopping in Sainsbury's. Could not find them when I got home, the store did not have them either.
Weeks later I took some bread out of our big chest freezer and guess what! Yes, nicely chilled pairs of socks packed in the bag with the bread by the kind lady on the till.

Purpledaffodil Sat 03-May-14 20:48:50

Flower my guess is whole lot inside a bigger suitcase Russian doll style. Good luck!

Purpledaffodil Sat 03-May-14 20:46:15

Bought a replacement zip. Took it out of handbag, instantly it vanished. Searched everywhere to accompaniment of DH smugly telling me how utterly hopeless I was, how I never knew where anything was etc etc. Next week I emptied the indoor recycling box into the outdoor bin and there was a small now screwed up John Lewis paper bag containing...... Did he apologise? Did he buffalo! "Well it looked like an empty bag".angry I know it doesn't help find your luggage, but it proves lost things do turn up ....sometimes!

Elegran Sat 03-May-14 20:05:59

My smallest hammer vanished too. It reappeared eventually on the rockery, mostly turned to rust.

I still haven't found the cellar key, which has not been seen since approximately 1975, when DD1, DD2 and a couple of friends were playing in and out of the cellar one afternoon. Luckily the back door key was identical (back door now replaced, in case any would-be burglar has the cellar key stowed away)

AlieOxon Sat 03-May-14 19:11:39

All the things I haven't got are the things I have 'lent' to my daughter!

Apart from my smallest hammer, which has not been around since the men were here replacing my gutters........

annodomini Sat 03-May-14 18:32:23

I'd been looking for my garden fork on and off for some months. I assumed it was lurking somewhere in the undergrowth in the garden. And it really, really wasn't in the shed. I'd just about decided to go and buy a new one, when I went down to the shed to put a hoe away and what should I find in the corner of the shed? That blinking fork!!

goldengirl Sat 03-May-14 17:47:14

I returned them to DH who retreated into his study! I can see a repetition of this scenario when the GC come round because DHs study looks as if we've been burgled!

rosequartz Fri 02-May-14 21:46:38

Are you giving them to the GC golden girl, or have you scoffed them?

Charleygirl, try St Anthony, he has often worked for me, although he has been known to take ages - but sometimes quite instant.

The Borrowers operate quite often in our house but do put things back occasionally.

goldengirl Fri 02-May-14 15:49:31

DH bought 6 Easter eggs for the 6 GC. We couldn't find 3 of them and so had to buy 3 more! Hey presto I found them yesterday in my study in a sturdy bag where I must have offered to hide them before Easter! So Flower is it possible that your bag is hiding in a bigger bag? It's bound to turn up eventually but perhaps when you're least expecting it wink

Charleygirl Fri 02-May-14 09:36:59

rosequartz St. Anthony would need to move in permanently as I am forever losing things, especially paperwork. Filing has always eluded me.

rosequartz Fri 02-May-14 09:21:32

Yes, I thought it was about luggage lost by airlines before I read the full Op

Hope it has been discovered now - St Anthony is often helpful in finding lost things:

'Dear St Anthony, full of grace, lead me to its hiding place.'

Wheniwasyourage Thu 01-May-14 22:25:40

The title of this thread brought back what they used to say about Concorde. Breakfast in London, lunch in New York, luggage in Hong Kong.

Perhaps it's gone on holiday.

rosequartz Thu 01-May-14 22:10:44

We searched high and low for DD2's large suitcase (one of a set), and she finally went off abroad without it about two and a half years ago! She decided it must have gone missing when she moved house.
A few weeks ago we found it in a large cardboard box in the attic.