Gransnet forums

AIBU

Inane chat on the radio

(25 Posts)
NanKate Thu 29-May-14 11:22:02

Whatsgoingon you posted on here that there were rumours of Sarah Kennedy, who I found very funny, could have a drink problem. I open the paper today to find that she has had her driving licence taken away for drink driving.

annodomini Thu 29-May-14 10:20:15

I find Shelagh Fogarty and Victoria Derbyshire far superior to most of the male presenters on 5Live. Both are good and perceptive interviewers, whereas Richard Bacon seems to me to be unfocussed and Nicky Campbell is prone to interrupting his interviewees.

Iam64 Thu 29-May-14 09:32:29

I'm a radio 5 fan as well, especially Victoria Derbyshire's 10 - 12 phone in programme. I sometimes abandon Women's Hour to listen to Victoria, but don't tell Jenny Murray

annodomini Thu 29-May-14 08:39:51

I often listen to 5Live in the early morning and late at night. However, until the World Cup hysteria is over, I am sticking to Radio4.

TriciaF Thu 29-May-14 07:29:42

We have LBC on most of the time - it's almost all phone-in and you get some good debates. 97.3.
James O'Brien is our favourite - he's away this week.
I like Classic FM too but DH gets bored with music, he likes a good argument.

Tegan Wed 28-May-14 19:37:40

I listen to Radio6 all day; inane chat and good music..what's not to like grin.

Agus Wed 28-May-14 19:26:32

Roses. "Scottish or Irish, I can't tell them apart" grin. I know what you are getting at though, it is possibly the 'lilt' you like.

I recently discovered Internet Radio and the best App for it is, Tune in Radio.
It covers all genres of music from Radio Rolling Stones to Radio Beethoven ie, a station for individual artists. Most of these stations just play music with very little talking if any.

yogagran Wed 28-May-14 18:54:49

I agree that Anneka Rice plays a good mix of music but I find her voice very boring. It doesn't sound a "smiley" voice at all

Just as well we're all different - I like Zoe Ball as she's always so enthusiastic about everything

nightowl Wed 28-May-14 08:05:45

I like Chris Evans and Ken Bruce, don't mind Steve Wright who sometimes makes me chuckle, but not his 'love songs' (pass the sick bucket). The one I really can't stand is Zoe Ball who I'm sure is a very nice person but does she ever shut up? It's a whole 'stream of consciousness' with her. She reminds me of my daughter when she was little - we used to say her eyes were attached to her lips as the minute she opened her eyes in the morning she started to talk and never stopped until she went to sleep. It's about time Zoe grew out of it.

NanKate Wed 28-May-14 07:21:28

I agree Whatsgoingon about Steve Wright I switch him off on a Sunday morning when he does the programme 'love Songs' however if Janie Lee Grace takes over from him she is far better and I do listen.

I still enjoy listening to Brian Matthew and his 'sounds of the 60s' he is so knowledgeable and I love the music.

whatsgoingon Tue 27-May-14 23:14:42

Ken Bruce is plays the same old music all the time. There is a huge choice of music out there but Ken keeps playing the same old tunes day in day out.It's time he moved over and let someone else have a go.
Anneka Rice would make an excellent replacement, she plays genres of all types of music .
As for to much inane chat, you need to listen to Steve Right for that, the man even gives his self a round of applause.
I miss Terry Wogan he always made me laugh, as for Sarah Kennedy,there was rumours that she was drunk while on air, I remember on several occasions she seemed to slur her words but that doesn't always prove that someone has been drinking so I have always kept an open mind about it.

rosesarered Tue 27-May-14 20:51:36

Ana now I am puzzled.... Ken Bruce is Scottish and Terry Wogan is Irish, we all know that, however they both sound very much the same to my English ears.They have the same speech patterns and soft, confidential tones, as you say.In fact, I will be honest, I can't tell them apart.No doubt all our Scottish and Irish G'netters can tell though.

susieb755 Tue 27-May-14 20:35:46

I quite like 5 live...

Ana Tue 27-May-14 20:34:36

It always puzzles me why some people assume that both Ken Bruce and Terry Wogan are Irish (or Scottish)! I'm sure you don't, rosesared, but it's one of those subjects which come up regularly.

Is it because they both have 'soft' accents, d'you think, and speak in a similarly confidential/friendly uncle way? confused

rosesarered Tue 27-May-14 20:29:56

I love Ken Bruce.He is the son that Terry Wogan always wanted.[joke.]I too get sick of inane chat for the handover but the worst EVER is Malcolm Boyden on radio Oxford, the minute I hear his silly voice I have to switch off [to Jack radio, another Oxfordshire radio station which plays good old numbers by ZZtop, status quo, and so on.]This music makes me get on with the housework and zip about merrrily. When I sit down for a cup of coffee I listen to radio 4 or 4 extra.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 27-May-14 20:26:30

Don't want anyone to think I'm slumming it with Radio 1 or anything! grin

Ana Tue 27-May-14 20:09:16

'Raising the tone'? hmm How very dare you, Wheniwasyourage! grin

Wheniwasyourage Tue 27-May-14 20:04:10

And yes, merlotgran , Ken Bruce is great. His "Friday Night is Music Night" is always better than anyone else's!

Wheniwasyourage Tue 27-May-14 20:02:37

It's not just Radio 2 [raising the tone emoticon]. I used to listen to Radio 3's morning show until they started constantly asking listeners to text them or email with their opinions on all sorts of things, and then they started having people on the phone speaking about which bits of music were important in their lives etc etc. Frankly, I don't care and don't want to listen to some man (usually) wittering on about how cultured he is. If Radio 3 bosses are trying to be Classic FM, they aren't very good at it. Classic FM does have telephone requests, but they are short and snappy and don't involve anyone emoting about how important some music is to them. Unfortunately I can't get Classic FM in the kitchen confused

merlotgran Tue 27-May-14 19:54:46

I can't stand Chris Evans but Ken Bruce is an institution. Long may he last.

Ana Tue 27-May-14 17:25:31

Oh, I see. I quite like it when Ken Bruce has a chat with the traffic woman - can't stand Zoe Ball though so I wouldn't have her on anyway!

NanKate Tue 27-May-14 17:20:39

No it's more than that Ana. For instance I was driving along today and there was a traffic interruption and as well as chatting about the road situation they started discussing how they could introduce references to chickens in their conversations such as 'foul/fowl conditions' - what absolute drivel. hmm

I will try Radio4 Extra as suggested by Chloe.

Ana Tue 27-May-14 15:54:43

Surely it's only for a couple of minutes, if it's the handover chat you're objecting to? confused

chloe1984 Tue 27-May-14 15:42:42

Have to agree I did try to listen to Radio 2 but found I missed Sarah Kennedy and Terry Wogan too much I now listen to Radio 4extra most mornings and really enjoy it. Even if I do find myself listening to some very old broadcasts anything is better than the 'matey' chat about how great they all are, nothing modest about some current presenters. However do still miss the music but not enough to retune.

NanKate Tue 27-May-14 09:43:05

I was listening to Radio 4 and the subject matter was not for me so I switched to the Radio 2 morning music programme.

Within moments I was complaining out loud to myself about the inane chat between the presenters - Zoe Ball and someone else.

I've noticed when one presenter passes to another they go through the same old routine asking how each other is and the replier is always megaly upbeat and 'in your face'. The drivel they chat about makes me want to puke.

I think you have got my message that I am a grumpy old woman and complain about lots of things. grin

Bring back Terry Wogan - at least he made me laugh and not cringe.

Finally I am not all critical, Graham Norton sometimes makes me giggly.