Gransnet forums

AIBU

Illegal immigration - what to do?

(294 Posts)
papaoscar Thu 29-May-14 15:05:29

The recent elections across Europe have highlighted the enormous problem of illegal immigration. So what can be done about it?
Some suggestions I have heard mentioned include:
1) sending illegals back to where they came from
2) ringfencing national borders with steel
3) denying illegals access to all but the minimum help necessary to maintain health and safety.
4) denying illegals access to benefits
5) setting up secure and humane holding areas where illegals can be detained
6) carrying out continuous and robust internal identity checks
7) actively liaising and working with other countries facing similar problems
8) encouraging the illegal's countries of origin to get their act together so as to discourage emigration (very difficult, that one)
And finally
9)making it obligatory for everybody to carry proper ID
Whilst some of these measures are already in force, I'm sure that the application of most of them would produce gasps of horror from many elements of the community. So, what are the alternatives? Any ideas, or do we just open the flood-gates and look the other way?

durhamjen Sun 05-Jul-15 20:05:09

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/05/kafkaesque-life-of-terror-suspect-in-britain-algerian-asylum-seeker

Just read this. It's appalling, yet I found myself laughing - with incredulity - while reading it.

What have we come to?

Ana Sun 05-Jul-15 20:07:33

No idea, I don't read your links. Why not tell us what it says?

Tegan Sun 05-Jul-15 20:25:27

Ana; what's the point of commenting about something that you have NO interest in [I assume that, if you WERE interested you would want to read the article]. Don't you get tired of constantly commenting on jens links?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 05-Jul-15 20:32:05

What is the point in making posts like that more like. hmm Who does read all of jen's links? grin

Ana Sun 05-Jul-15 20:33:39

Of course I'm concerned about illegal immigration.

I can source articles from The Guardian just like everyone else - I'd rather durhamjen put her own thoughts on the subject on this forum, that's all.

And I'm sure she can defend herself.

Penstemmon Sun 05-Jul-15 22:22:05

Ana lots of people post informative links on various threads. If you CBA to read it that is not an issue..just no need for you to comment at all. In fact jen did say the article left her incredulous so that is a big hint on how she feels!

TriciaF Sun 05-Jul-15 22:23:46

The last post on here is a very moving report from an Italian, describing the problems they are facing now, being flooded with immigrants:
ww2talk.com/forums/topic/57366-immigration-flux-what-should-we-do/page-2#entry676069

Ana Sun 05-Jul-15 22:25:33

Thank you for your opinion, penstemmon. I will post whatever comments I choose to, whether you like them or not.

Penstemmon Sun 05-Jul-15 22:39:16

I don't really give a flying what you do or don't post ana but like you I can post what I want too! Nah nah neNah Nah! Grow up!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 05-Jul-15 22:40:09

Weird. hmm

Ana Sun 05-Jul-15 22:42:08

Yes, very...hmm

Anya Sun 05-Jul-15 22:47:33

To be honest I've had an overdose of blue links from a certain poster and CBA to read them any more.

durhamjen Sun 05-Jul-15 22:54:10

Not everyone reads all newspapers. I do not expect them to. What I do know is that some people on here do like to read articles I put links to.

If everybody did what you do, Ana, nobody would read anything other than the stuff in the papers they read. We'd all be sniping at each other.

I put the link on because it's a very long article about an Algerian asylum seeker who can go nowhere because he was thought a long time ago to be linked to a ricin threat which was later realised was not a ricin threat.

It is appalling that we, in a supposedly civilised country, can treat an asylum seeker like this.

Jingl, I've never asked anyone to read my links. I put them on so that people can read them if they want to. Many people give intelligent comments after reading them.
The others I ignore as much as possible. Just so you know why I am ignoring your and Ana's comments from now on, and it saves you asking why.

Ana Sun 05-Jul-15 23:00:49

You have very often said 'read this' or 'you need to read this' durhamjen before or after one of your links, so it's untrue to say you've never asked anyone to read your links.

Ana Sun 05-Jul-15 23:06:13

But I expect you'll ignore that fact! grin

Eloethan Sun 05-Jul-15 23:49:21

I can't see what the problem is. Durhamjen has provided a link to an article that some people may find interesting - I did. For those who prefer not to read anything that may threaten their view of the world, they are perfectly at liberty to ignore it.

Anya Mon 06-Jul-15 05:18:17

And you say you don't offend anyone Eloethan?

'For those who prefer not to read anything that may threaten their view of the world' .....what an utterly stupid post. In fact, you have no idea how widely any of us read, or how our views of the world are influenced.

Just because we may have a different view of the world, which may not tally with yours, does not give you the right to to post such judgemental and unpleasant remarks.

So anyway I read the article. It didn't add anything to my sum of knowledge about refugees, there is nothing there I haven't read before, better written by refugees themselves.

I also watched A Song For Jenny last night.

I know it was home-grown terrorists who were responsible for the 7/7 bombings, but our security forces have a job to do to prevent more attacks like that. It may be that some innocent people are over scrutinised but that is the price that has to be paid on the age we live in, because for sure, it is innocent people and their families who pay the price otherwise.

Eloethan Mon 06-Jul-15 10:09:10

Anya When you post remarks like To be honest I've had an overdose of blue links from a certain poster and CBA to read them any more, you can hardly accuse me of being offensive.

Ceesnan Mon 06-Jul-15 11:41:55

Just IMO durhamjen tends to post links that reflect her beliefs. As these tend to be too militant for my liking I now tend to ignore them, but must admit I do sometimes think "FFS, not another bloody link" shock

Jane10 Mon 06-Jul-15 11:59:50

Stop arguing and read TriciaFs post.

Anya Mon 06-Jul-15 12:01:16

No Eleothan you may not like my remark but i am stating a fact you, instead are stating your opinion when you know nothing about us.

Eloethan Mon 06-Jul-15 12:30:52

Jane10 When I go into the link on TriciaF's post I just get a lot of comments referring to an article (I think) that I can't find.

Anya Mon 06-Jul-15 12:33:34

I get that too

Jane10 Mon 06-Jul-15 12:59:04

Scroll down to what seems to be the last comment. Wish she'd cut and pasted the right bit

rosesarered Mon 06-Jul-15 15:30:50

I don't read anybody's links.