Gransnet forums

AIBU

Here we go again

(7 Posts)
felice Tue 03-Jun-14 10:21:10

Going to have a good moan, G7, here in Brussels, why does it have to be held right in the heart of the city, there are a lot of great Conference centres and country house Hotels here why coudn't they go there, I have already had a hospital appointment cancelled as the Hospital is near the area of the summit. Even part of the ring road is to be closed, Metro stations closed, bus routes changed. Belguim will also have to pay for all the security and the loss of income to the surrounding businesses will not be compensated for. I feel sorry for tourists, this is a busy time and a lot of places will be just downright inacessible.
The next time you listen to BRUSSELS getting the blame for all your woes, remember this is a city not an institution.

ninathenana Tue 03-Jun-14 16:13:21

I sympathize, I must admit I hadn't thought about that aspect.

felice Tue 03-Jun-14 16:38:31

Thanks, it is just so frustrating, this one was not even planned so us normal people couldn't arrange our days around it. add to it all the streets beside the Hotels the high-hied yins will be staying in will also be no go areas, great for tourism. GGrrrrrr, sorry, should have gone to South of France with DD and family but have a lot planned for the garden when SIL away.

HollyDaze Tue 03-Jun-14 17:22:48

Try being here with the TT on - everything more expensive, shops selling out, bikes ruling the roads, people sent home from hospital to keep the beds free, hospital appointments deferred to keep doctors free for the two weeks bikers are here, limited parking, the noise, the smell of bike fumes, the idiots driving around as though the race is on 24 hours a day, people who live inside the TT course have the choice of staying in there homes from 9.30am until around 5pm (but could be 9pm if weather or accidents delay the race) - my son has often not been able to get home until after 10pm. Woe betide you if you need an ambulance to call at your home and you're inside the course - you have to wait for them to stop the race and all the bikers first.

HollyDaze Tue 03-Jun-14 17:23:55

Left out the other choice that some residents have: leaving your home at 9am and not being able to go home until the race ends (see above times).

felice Tue 03-Jun-14 17:30:21

Holly you have my sympathies, we probably sound like a pair of moaners, but it really doesn't do a great deal for the local economy either, the TT I imagine is more about campers and pubs if my biker friends are anything to go by, and the EU officials here really don't pay a lot either, they pay nothing into the local tax and social funds and I actually know one family who have been here for nearly 20 years and go to the UK every month to shop, as their 'children' only like British Heinz Ketchup etc, duh!!!!!!????

rosesarered Fri 06-Jun-14 20:09:54

Listen Felice you can't complain about ANYTHING! Because you live in the home of Belgian Chocolate. Need I say more? smile