Gransnet forums

AIBU

Really wanted to slap OH

(24 Posts)
tanith Wed 04-Jun-14 14:32:05

I was away for two days and while gone OH said he would clear and clean a shelf unit as our grandson is decorating for us while we are in Cornwall next week, on one of the shelves I had two nurtured back to health orchids that were a week away from flowering and he managed to snap both the flower stalks at the tip one hanging by a thread and the other gone , oh I could of cried I've had them ages but this is the first time those particular two have grown new flower shoots and they are both gone.. he said oh I knew I broke one but the other ones ok, NO! IT BLOODY WELL ISN'T!!! as soon as I touched it that too fell off... I had to go walk round the garden in the rain to calm down.
All he had to do was move them but now he emptied the shelves around them and of course the stalks are quite brittle and easily snapped when you brush against them hence me selecting a safe (so I thought) place for them.

I'm calmer today , rant over.

BeeWitch Wed 04-Jun-14 14:43:14

you just can't include 'men' and 'common sense' in the same sentence sometimes. Glad you feel calmer today Tanith. smile

whenim64 Wed 04-Jun-14 14:49:18

It should grow again, tanith. Hope so for your OH's sake! grin

HollyDaze Wed 04-Jun-14 14:59:21

you just can't include 'men' and 'common sense' in the same sentence sometimes.

That can be true - my husband (we had only just married) was putting up a shelf in the bedroom and he was taking ages but wouldn't let me in until it was 'finished'. Half a day later (for one shelf - so you know it hasn't gone according to plan) he called me in to look at the shelf and he was clearly very pleased as it was dead level and I told him it looked lovely - then, behind him, I saw the wall underneath - the room was painted in a pastel lemon so that section of wall looked like a piece of Swiss cheese with all the holes he'd drilled and abandoned, like he'd been mining for oil or something and he thought I was overreacting about the 20-odd holes angry

janerowena Wed 04-Jun-14 15:00:02

I feel your pain - but it was an accident. I expect he thought you would be so pleased with him!

janerowena Wed 04-Jun-14 15:00:29

For having been so thorough, I mean!

granjura Wed 04-Jun-14 15:15:45

I feel your pain ... I will neverever let my OH on his own in the garden with a stimmer, that is for sure sad

BeeWitch Wed 04-Jun-14 15:49:22

HollyDaze your comment did make me laugh ... could just picture it, your description was excellent ... must've looked like your wall had been machine-gunned grin

Tegan Wed 04-Jun-14 16:13:21

The S.O. put some trellis up in the garden for me at the weekend and found it funny that I put bits of newsapaper on the part of the border that he was to stand on. He didn't get the fact that I'd asked him to do such things in the past and he had just stood on whichever plant was in the way as I watched in horror. Says he never does things like that confused.

HollyDaze Wed 04-Jun-14 16:21:47

In fact, BeeWitch, that is a much better description - and he never filled the holes in! He reckoned I could just hang a curtain underneath the shelf - aaaaaaaagh! Men grin

(Is your username from Bewitched? I used to love that programme.)

Granali Wed 04-Jun-14 16:50:41

On the end do these things matter? Recent experiences have taught me that they don't in the great scheme of things

Nelliemoser Wed 04-Jun-14 16:59:36

I would have been angry as well. My Oh has no idea at all about not trampling plants underfoot on the rare occasions he does stuff in the garden.

Most irritating is that if he encounters my link stake plant supports that have started to droop over the lawn with the weight of the plants, he just bends them back out of his way so they end up bent and broken.

Agus Wed 04-Jun-14 17:19:07

Shortly after we were married I planted honesty in our first garden. For two years nothing appeared then one day watching DH weeding I realised he was pulling it up as he thought it was a weed. confused. I shouted at him, "if you are not sure what anything is, bloody well ask" !!

Mishap Wed 04-Jun-14 17:30:30

My OH.....

- pulled out all the "dead sticks" - raspberry canes!

- tried to reduce the width of a thick rectangle of melamine-coated chipboard by one inch, by sawing (labouriously and slowly with a fret saw - we were very poor then) half an inch of either side. My revelation that cutting one inch off one side would reduce the work by half with the same result was greeted with whoops of joy!

MiniMouse Wed 04-Jun-14 17:38:00

When my OH does similar things I try very hard to tell myself that they're just 'things', but it doesn't stop me getting upset and angry, especially as I'm someone who really takes care of things. Even when I put ornaments safely at the back of the windowsill, he still manages to catch them with something he's carrying because he can't see what he's doing and they end up broken. Plants in the garden are either trodden on as he 'didn't realise it was there' - erm, it's a flowerbed, the clue's in the name hmm - or he just yanks them up as 'it looked like a weed' . . . I've lost count of the number of plants I've lost one way or another sad I've been very tempted to treat his things the same way just so that he realises how upsetting it is, but I just don't have it in me!! I'm not a shouty person, but I do let him know how upset I am. He just doesn't get it! I know it's not intentional, so I just take to my yoga 'ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm' until I'm calmer grin

tanith Wed 04-Jun-14 17:52:02

Thanks everyone I realize its not much in the scheme of things and I did forgive him through gritted teeth.

Kiora Wed 04-Jun-14 18:22:23

I have nothing to add. I could make a huge list,at least a couple of pages long but what would be the point. It's swallowing all the black bile that I find hard. Sometimes just sometimes the the temptation to smack a frying pan into a perfectly oval skull is almost overwhelmingblush but I don't because as he says " I don't beat you up, or get drunk, I'm not unfaithful" lucky old me then! grrrrrrrrangry

ginny Wed 04-Jun-14 18:28:10

* Kiora* I'm afraid I would ask him if he wanted a medal for not doing those things.

BeeWitch Wed 04-Jun-14 18:39:26

HollyDaze No, my user name is from a compliment I had - that I was bewitching blush and it wasn't from my OH either ... double blush

Faye Wed 04-Jun-14 21:15:00

These posts are so funny, I am still chuckling.

My DIL told me that she had asked my son to peel some potatoes for their dinner (for two adults and two children) so he peeled all the potatoes in the 10kg bag. She said when she got annoyed he said he didn't know when to stop.

I said don't worry D2's husband had used nearly a whole bottle of detergent rinsing a few dishes he then put in the dishwasher. Then I added D1 had told me of how her husband was hosing the paving and she asked how come he couldn't see their daughter's brand new hat left laying on the ground, and why couldn't he pick it up instead of ruining it by hosing it along with the dirt.

tanith Wed 04-Jun-14 21:31:38

Can't live them and can't live without them eh?

HollyDaze Thu 05-Jun-14 08:16:07

These posts are so funny, I am still chuckling.

Me too - you can't help it can you grin

Maybe we should have a thread 'Funny Things Your Husband Has Done'!

Oldgreymare Thu 05-Jun-14 10:48:47

Sorry Tanith, I should have added to this thread instead of starting a new one.... only just catching up!

Eloethan Thu 05-Jun-14 15:40:49

There are some pretty stereotypical comments here.

I too can think of instances where my husband has done something I consider to be very silly, but I'm sure he could also alert me to some stupid things I've done as well.

Having said that, tanith, I would have been upset too - what a shame.