Gransnet forums

AIBU

To feel annoyed by language

(77 Posts)
MiceElf Sun 08-Jun-14 09:04:56

Which infantilises the very old?

There is, at the moment, a 'hearwarming' story of a former Lieutenant in the RN and Mayor of Brighton who decided to travel to Normandy to join the D Day commemoration.

The first comment I heard on the television was that he had 'escaped' and that he had been 'banned'. Subsequently the story was modified but still the patronising phrases continue.

'Jaunt across the channel' 'He's got a lot of charm with the ladies' 'exploits' 'old people behaving like naughty children' 'cheeky trip' and 'ah, bless'.

I find the condescending tone quite unpleasant. If he were 50 instead if 89 it would, if reported at all, be a one liner saying that a distinguished war veteran had attended the commemoration in Normandy.

rosesarered Fri 13-Jun-14 20:42:06

When a waiter approaches a group of people at a table, he doesn't have to say anything about ' a group' but just say hello, pleasantly, and 'would you all like to order now?'

FarNorth Thu 12-Jun-14 21:33:08

Maybe he didn't tell them as he feared they would be over-protective and try to stop him, just because he is a 'resident' of their home.

Elegran Thu 12-Jun-14 11:12:09

Being determined was probably a good trait for him to have seventy-odd years ago too.

HollyDaze Thu 12-Jun-14 11:11:36

rosequartz - thank you, I wasn't aware that he had moved in to be with his wife.

With the information you have given, I now blame him for not telling them! Why on earth didn't he just let them know he was off out?

rosequartz Thu 12-Jun-14 10:58:59

Holly, he just moved into the care home to live with his wife who needed care; he himself is fine and free to come and go as he pleases (or so I read in one report).

However, the staff were right to be concerned when he didn't return - the same as family would be concerned if he hadn't come home. He had told his wife what he was up to but thought he would be stopped if he told anyone else. To be fair to the staff, they had tried to get him onto a RBL official trip but had not managed to do so. Some reports were rather embellished, I think!

However, to described him as 'wilful' was rather ridiculous, I thought. 'Determined' yes, but wilful makes him sound like a naughty child.

HollyDaze Thu 12-Jun-14 08:23:55

A comedic report on the foolish staff who were all of a tizzy over nothing might have been a better idea.

Now that I would agree with.

None of us know if the gentleman concerned had any medical conditions that made it unwise for him to travel alone (which is the first thought that occurred to me when I saw it on the news); if I was a relative of his, I would be concerned that the 'care home' were a tad lacking in the care department if a resident could just up and leave.

It was nice to see that the gentleman, himself, seemed amused by all the fuss.

rosequartz Wed 11-Jun-14 19:52:11

Nellie, I used the term 'you lot' on GN but got into trouble from another Gnetter. It was meant to be an inclusive, friendly term but obviously not everyone thinks so!
Not always used in a friendly fashion, however, eg shouting at the DC years ago "You lot go and tidy your bedrooms!".

I had an Irish friend who used the term 'youse' instead of 'you'. I didn't realise it was used elsewhere in the British Isles.

thatbags Wed 11-Jun-14 16:39:02

Seems to me southerners and pedants have no right to complain about a different regional usage like that.

thatbags Wed 11-Jun-14 16:38:14

Some Scottish people use a plural yous too.

Stansgran Wed 11-Jun-14 15:59:44

Ah but your DGD didn't do the plural YOUSE guys not the Scouse singular but the Durham plural .

rosequartz Tue 10-Jun-14 21:15:07

Sorry - DGD2
(now that would be a miracle!)

rosequartz Tue 10-Jun-14 21:12:18

I heard two year old DD2 addressing her Fisher Price people as 'you guys' today hmm

FarNorth Tue 10-Jun-14 20:27:53

A comedic report on the foolish staff who were all of a tizzy over nothing might have been a better idea.

rosequartz Tue 10-Jun-14 19:34:21

I was annoyed when I read the report and he was described as 'wilful and determined' (apparently by a spokesperson for the care home, but not necessarily true, as the report may not be correct).

'Wilful and determined' as he was described in the media sounds like the kind of term that could be used for a three year old wanting to get his own way, not an 89 year old courageous RN veteran.

Thanks and respect are due to Lt. Jordan and all his comrades, not condescending reports that he 'absconded from his care home'. Surely if he chooses to live there to be with his wife who needs care, he is free to come and go as he pleases. He fought for our freedom but seems to have foregone his own.

Ana Tue 10-Jun-14 11:52:45

'You people', 'you folks', 'you reprobates' (depending of course on how informal the setting was!)

Nelliemoser Tue 10-Jun-14 11:42:00

With regard to "you guys" or "you lot" how else could you best address a group of people in a very informal setting, where ladies and gentlemen is not appropriate.

Depending on context, I find you lot" is quite useful and can be an "affectionate" term for a group of friends, but not every one thinks like this. It seems to occur on GN as friendly expression.

Can anyone offer alternatives?

rosesarered Tue 10-Jun-14 10:58:12

the 'oh bless' thing is on a par with anyone asking to talk to 'hubby' either in person or on the phone, I usually say 'what on earth is a hubby?'angry

rosesarered Tue 10-Jun-14 10:55:39

Tegan I would hate anyone to greet a comment with 'oh bless!' It's awful.

rosesarered Tue 10-Jun-14 10:54:29

Yes, sounds like a chimp breaking out of the zoo, doesn't it?

positivepam Mon 09-Jun-14 23:09:16

I have to say what really got to me about this story was on Sky news, when a young reporter said a spokesperson at the care home said the gentleman in question "would not get into trouble" for going to France. Really? Who do they think they are, talking about this hero as if he was a child who just did a "naughty prank". When will senior citizens be seen as normal human beings who are just as capable as any other age group and sometimes more so? smile

FarNorth Mon 09-Jun-14 18:40:40

I agree with MiceElf. The man had a serious, adult reason for making his journey and it should not have been fodder for flippant, comedic reporting.

I am sure that the media and public like to have a bit of a laugh but this was not a suitable subject for it.

granjura Mon 09-Jun-14 17:34:14

Agree with Bags- does not offend me- unless the tone is condescending- In which case a sharp retort, with a sense of humour, is much more effective than getting all uppity. I use 'poppet' too in retorts- it works.

'You guys' is typically from the USA and has nothing to do with age though. I don't use it normally, unless we come across younger Americans on our travels.

Tegan Mon 09-Jun-14 16:26:34

Oh I'd like that. I have a problem with people saying 'oh bless' when I've commented on something. It's a local thing [I think] but it makes me feel like a doddery old fool that's being patronised sad.

Stansgran Mon 09-Jun-14 16:15:53

I've been greeted in Cafe Rouge " how are youse guys today?" Couldn't stop spluttering. This is in Durham pedantry generally rules.

Ana Mon 09-Jun-14 11:56:23

Yes, and then they usually go on to say something like: 'The mother of two was walking along the busy road...' hmm