Gransnet forums

AIBU

May and Gove - pistols at dawn?

(9 Posts)
JessM Wed 23-Jul-14 07:02:52

I think Morgan got the job on the understanding it was too late for any change of direction before the election and she could do better PR for the so called "reforms" than Gove was doing. (when was there last a minister that was so disliked)

rosequartz Tue 22-Jul-14 20:38:41

They do say 'better the devil you know' (re Gove and Morgan) hmm

JessM Tue 22-Jul-14 20:36:24

"Islamist" is not the same thing as "terrorist" ana is it? Gove was banging on about protecting children from being influenced by terrorists. He sent an ex-head of counter terrorism to do the investigation. He had a fundamental disagreement with May about how terrorism should be tackled and used phrases like "draining the swamp" . He is the only person to have suggested the Birmingham school thing was about terrorism. Thus endearing himself to Muslims all over the UK.
The rather unpleasant word "Islamist" in this context is referring to trying to impose strict muslim standards of behaviour on a school which was not a faith school. There are numerous Muslim faith schools funded by the UK government that are run in just that way. Same as there are faith schools funded by the UK government that are run on strict Catholic lines (Christianist?) and even free schools run on Steiner lines. There is at least one Hindu faith school as well (Hinduist?)
If these guys had been a bit more subtle and political they could have gone down the faith school route, thus staying inside government guidelines.
The only other issue seems to be that some of them had a bombastic style and did not fully appreciate the limits of the role of governor. Responsibility for overseeing what was happening with these governors was split between Birmingham Council and Gove's own department (for the academies).

Ana Tue 22-Jul-14 13:27:21

Sky News reports:

'There is "clear evidence" of an Islamist takeover plot at Birmingham schools, a Government-led inquiry has found.'

I don't think I can be quite so dismissive of the whole episode as you seem to be, Jess.

JessM Tue 22-Jul-14 13:17:49

Well Gove has gone to be replaced by the Nicky Morgan who is going to keep the ship on course until the election. Or try to anyway.
The report that Gove commissioned has now been published. A few people trying to impose their views on muslim values on a small group of schools. No evidence of any terrorist links or anything of that kind.
The irony is that if these people had been more savvy and had the schools re-classified as faith schools there would be no case to answer, other than the issue that they did not understand the constraints of the role of governor.
If the PM was to stamp out extremism in education he would have to get rid of all faith schools and that ain't going to happen, unfortunately.

busybee08 Tue 22-Jul-14 12:51:36

so sorry I posted a web site which was not exceptable in these forums..

I did say i was new to gransnet,

please accept my apology....

have a good day ......

busybee08 Mon 14-Jul-14 17:07:29

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

durhamjen Mon 09-Jun-14 15:17:52

Needs to get rid of Gove if he wants to get rid of extremism in education.

papaoscar Mon 09-Jun-14 15:13:16

I can't stand the sight or sound of either of them, but that's irrelevant. Is it not time for the PM to crack his whip over their shoulders and start sacking, and to take a firm grip on stamping out extremism in education. What do you think?