Gransnet forums

AIBU

Personal Details

(22 Posts)
Frannygranny Tue 10-Jun-14 15:43:38

Why, when you are returning goods, shops now ask for name, house number and post code? I don't like giving these details as I'm very aware of identity fraud and even though shops say they won't send me anything, who knows if and when their computer systems will be hacked. I now always give false information. This happens whether I've paid with cash or card. Grrrrrrr!!

MiniMouse Tue 10-Jun-14 17:28:42

I was once told (can't remember by whom) that it's so that 'they' can check if the refund/exchange is genuine and not some scam done by the staff who are serving. I'm not convinced!

Mishap Tue 10-Jun-14 17:46:45

I wear maternity jeans as they are so comfy. When I bought the last pair online they wanted to know my date of delivery and would not let me leave it blank, so, just for your info, I am due on 5th January!

tiggypiro Tue 10-Jun-14 17:55:15

Congratulations Mishap ! Have you been for your first scan yet ? Boy or girl ? Is it worthy of Guiness Book of Records ??

Frannygranny Tue 10-Jun-14 17:56:20

Congratulations Mishap!!! wink wink

Nelliemoser Tue 10-Jun-14 18:02:07

Mishap congratulations. I expect you will know find yourself being bombarded with all sorts of new mum advertising.

Marelli Tue 10-Jun-14 18:02:49

They might send you some free samples near to your due date, Mishap - like a box of nipple-pads, or something similar grin

sparkygran Tue 10-Jun-14 18:30:16

Mishap I just love it never thought of maternity jeans but now its in my mind I`m off and running. Do keep us informed about how the "pregnancy" progresses and well perhaps there is hope for us all!!!!

kittylester Tue 10-Jun-14 19:29:49

That's my birthday Mishap - I presume that if it's a girl you'll name it after me, grin

bikergran Tue 10-Jun-14 19:35:22

lol @ mishap lol you were quick off the mark there lol

merlotgran Tue 10-Jun-14 19:41:10

Will we all be invited to the virtual 'baby shower' or would you prefer a piss up drinks party?

Oh no! You won't be able to drink......shame grin

Mishap Tue 10-Jun-14 22:20:35

I am moved by all these good wishes. I shall have to eat lots of cake to look the part.

janerowena Tue 10-Jun-14 22:30:23

I hate giving out my details too. I suppose it's so they can see if you are a repeat offender - or maybe a scam of some sort, I suppose if you paid by cash it needn't apply at all.

Pittcity Wed 11-Jun-14 21:20:22

I never give out my home phone number as we get too many nuisance calls. Sometimes you have to give a number and it has to be a landline so I make up a number. My DH says he feels sorry for whoever gets our calls hmm

Dragonfly1 Wed 11-Jun-14 21:32:08

Mishap congratulations! This has made me chuckle!

GillT57 Thu 12-Jun-14 10:43:02

I make up a phone no too, there is little point in being ex-directory then handing out my landline to any cashier that asks for it.

Humbertbear Thu 12-Jun-14 11:16:02

Following on from this discussion, I occasionally sell unwanted books on Amazon but because they are moving the operation that handles the payments to Europe (presumably a tax scam ) They are asking for full personal details including passport information. I really object to giving out that information to anyone.

janerowena Thu 12-Jun-14 16:42:18

Passport information sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, should they be hacked.

sparkygran Thu 12-Jun-14 18:27:29

Merlotgran Mishap may not be able to drink but the rest of us can. Cheers Mishap hope all goes well.wine

Wheniwasyourage Thu 12-Jun-14 18:33:02

When DH was working in the local GP practice they decided not to continue to sign passport applications for anyone when they had to put their own passport numbers on the forms too. If GPs or any other group of people are considered fit and proper people to identify passport photos, why should they have to give their own passport numbers to patients or clients whom they recognise but do not necessarily know very well? Surely a practice (or business) stamp should do?

Has anyone who has made up a date of birth or a phone number ever been challenged? It sounds like an excellent idea.

annodomini Thu 12-Jun-14 18:36:52

I think giving the passport number must be a recent piece of red tape. When I was a local councillor, the occasional resident would ask me to sign his/her identification and I never had my passport with me at my surgery.

glammanana Thu 12-Jun-14 18:38:59

If people ask for my landline no I always reverse the numbers and there is no chance of me giving my passport details to anyone except Border Control or Airline Booking.