Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that HMRC website should work

(7 Posts)
Mishap Sat 28-Jun-14 11:38:33

I have been badgered by HMRC to get my tax return in. I have collated all the figures and am all set to go and - guess what? - the site is not working and they apologise for the inconvenience. I had a small window of opportunity to get it done today. Sigh.

It is the same when you try to claim benefits online, as I did for my Dad - on that occasion the form would only work on ancient systems! I wrote to Private Eye about that one and they did an article in it.

GrannyTwice Sat 28-Jun-14 11:44:30

Mishap - why do you have to do it now? The deadline for 2013/14 isn't until 31st Jan 2015. If you are late with your 2012/13 one then yes, YABU

gettingonabit Fri 04-Jul-14 18:49:09

Me too, but with the online login system. Tried it, didn't work. Went to local office, still didn't work despite staff trying repeatedly. Ordered another number: still didn't work, so wrote to Hmrc with my income details instead. Hmrc didn't like this either, and charged me £100, which I paid. Thought the matter had been resolved but no. Had a letter informing me that I would be charged at a daily rate unless the online return had been completed. Tried to ring them to explain-yet again- that the online system hadn't worked for me. Spoke to a computer for a while until I got fed up of waiting after half an hour. Eventually decided to write again, using my doctored 2013/14 return to record the same info as I'd already sent.

I knew I was beaten when I threatened the computerised voice with the Daily Mail.angry.

susieb755 Fri 04-Jul-14 20:51:38

Mrs Smug here - I do my husbands and SiL on 7th April - always works, and tax rebates within a week smile

durhamjen Fri 04-Jul-14 21:16:39

Did mine this week and it worked.

Mishap Fri 04-Jul-14 21:22:44

I have now found out that the HMRC log on does not work if you have Windows 8.1 - which is of course the latest operating system. See my OP about only working on ancient systems.

Grannytwice - it does not make any difference when I fill it in (and it is the 2013-14 one) the system will still not allow me to do it online on a modern computer.

I have in fact succeeded today by using an old computer. It is perfectly ridiculous, as any teenage nerd could have told them that 8.1 was coming and they would have to upgrade their online form.

Just in case you decide to use the online form, please be aware that you are not allowed to put £0, even if that is the right answer - just leave it blank or the system has a flid. And should you dare to put dots between the digits in a date rather than slashes you will be in the mire!

But I did it - and they owe me £28.75 - whoopee!!

durhamjen Sat 05-Jul-14 00:31:28

A definite advantage to not being up-to-date.