Gransnet forums

AIBU

Mayday! Mayday!

(31 Posts)
NanKate Sun 06-Jul-14 16:45:53

My dishwasher broke down yesterday and the chances of getting it mended before my niece and great nephew come to stay for their annual hols from Italy, is next to nil. sad

I don't like dirty dishes hanging about so I keep washing up as I go, what a total waste of my time when I could be on Gransnet, or watching tv, or reading my book or as my husband would say 'leading a hedonistic lifestyle'!

I'm thinking of hiring a butler who looks like Professor Brian Cox. grin

numberplease Thu 10-Jul-14 17:32:47

NanKate, nothing would please me more than said posse rolling up, it wound`t please Him or Herself though!

tiggypiro Thu 10-Jul-14 16:29:26

At my first teaching job interview (Home Economics) back in 1970 I was asked if when I got married I would have a dishwasher. My reply was that I would have a husband so would not need one.
I got the job !
I bought one when he tittled off to pastures new.

NanKate Thu 10-Jul-14 16:19:58

Numberplease IMO I think you should threaten your family with a posse of the Gransnetters coming round to your house and insisting that YOU get a break from cooking, washing up and generally looking after them. Everyone needs a break and a bit of TLC brew flowers wine

numberplease Thu 10-Jul-14 15:29:40

Rosesarered, this ME appliance doesn`t get tea and biscuit top ups, not uless I get them myself, lol!

NanKate Thu 10-Jul-14 15:15:37

Well Sparkygran I too am about to receive a new dishwasher as we have exhausted all avenues of getting a repair for our 6 year old one. It arrives a day before the relatives invade, so I am heartily relieved. Just hope I can work out how to use it quickly. hmm

sparkygran Mon 07-Jul-14 18:56:58

Had to replace an integrated dishwasher a few weeks ago it was the latest domestic crisis to hit me and as it was 10 years old (I know amazing) instead of getting someone out to repair it I headed off to well-known store beginning with C and the delightful young man sorted it all out with delivery and installation the next day. Dishwashers are not that expensive and we must be aware that they are not built to last as said delightful young man was at great pains to explain to me 5 years is about their limit nowadays

Nonu Mon 07-Jul-14 12:00:32

Tegan re , currency , I have been "ON" !!! grin

Tegan Mon 07-Jul-14 11:23:24

This is underneath the filter [I must get the manual out]where, I presume the water drains out of the machine.

Elegran Mon 07-Jul-14 11:01:04

No. It probably means your filter is clogged.

Tegan Mon 07-Jul-14 10:56:31

On the subject of dishwashers, I hardly use mine but is it normal for there to be a pool of water in the bottom [where the filter thingy is] and is it because I don't use it a lot? In fact I use it as a draining board most of the time [but it isn't water from the cups etc I put them on teatowels].

rosesarered Mon 07-Jul-14 10:42:25

numberplease I have heard about these ME appliances, but they do seem very expensive to run;They require constant top ups of tea and biscuits, make whining noises and have to be generally mollycoddled in between using them[ and some days they run smoothly and other days hardly at all!] grin

mcem Mon 07-Jul-14 09:00:22

I have had my built-in dishwasher repaired and subsequently replaced. This last repair has proved a problem. The door had to be removed to allow the repair but the screws attaching wooden 'decor' door to metal appliance door twisted and couldn't be used. The manufacturer has gone out of business and I can't trace the correct screws so I have a functioning machine with a very ugly door!

Purpledaffodil Mon 07-Jul-14 07:54:21

Ninathenana I know it is totally illogical. However both built in ones suffered major breakdowns. The second time I tried to contact the manufacturer, begins with K and mainly known for mixers and they denied even selling dishwashers. The first one was a S**g and the repair call out for that was too high to make it viable. Maybe we've just had bad built in dishwasher karmasmile

kittylester Mon 07-Jul-14 07:05:23

We had our integrated one repaired by the manufacturer's engineer - it wasn't a problem at all!

Coolgran65 Mon 07-Jul-14 00:05:26

Two years ago we called a local independent repair man to fix our built in dishwasher. It was the spring fitting that holds the door tightly shut. Ordered the part on line £10, it came in two days and repairman came back and fitted it for £40.

Last month the same part went again, we ordered the part on line and this time hubby fitted it, took him a bit longer but he got there smile

numberplease Sun 06-Jul-14 23:39:52

There`s only room for the dishwasher called ME in our house!

ninathenana Sun 06-Jul-14 23:07:44

Purple surely the built in ones are the same as the free standing ones.
They just have a false door attached to match the other units. I know I could buy mine free standing.

Purpledaffodil Sun 06-Jul-14 20:54:02

There is a company with two initials who advertise a lot on TV who will do next day, even same day delivery on appliances. I just replaced a dodgy freezer before the food was spoiledgrin. IMO spending the money on replacing is better than spending it on a repair which may not last. Unless your dishwasher is very new of course?
Interesting hildajenniJ about your built in dishwasher. I had two, both 'good' makes which didn't last much beyond the guarantee period. I bit the bullet in the end and got an ordinary one which may not look so elegant but is still working six years on.
I realize that I must sound like a profligate consumer. Not really, just had several bad experiences with repaired appliances going wrong very quickly. sad

rosesarered Sun 06-Jul-14 20:24:26

I agreee hilda our frige and also freezer are built in, I just hope they last a few years more!

HildaW Sun 06-Jul-14 20:11:07

Paper plates?

hildajenniJ Sun 06-Jul-14 19:52:11

My dishwasher stopped washing dishes a couple of years ago. It's built in with the units. You have no idea how many plummers, etc., I have asked to come and look at it. The reply is always the same, "sorry madam I don't repair built in appliances" arghh!! DH says we should ge a new one, but I don't want to go to that expense as we may be moving house in a few months. Why oh why don't they repair built in appliances, there are lots of them about.sad

NanKate Sun 06-Jul-14 19:20:22

To be honest FarNorth my DH never stops working, I suspect he is a workaholic. I am quite the reverse.

So I will do the bl...... washing up and moan and groan. just as I did as a child when I was asked to help at home.

FarNorth Sun 06-Jul-14 19:02:51

And is your OH leading a hedonistic lifestyle leaving all the dish washing to you?

NanKate Sun 06-Jul-14 17:49:34

Ana who said I wanted the Prof Cox lookalike to do the washing up ! grin

Only joking my OH is a 'good 'un'

Marelli Sun 06-Jul-14 17:43:11

KatyK, neither have I - apart from the one who's sitting finishing his pudding just now.....grin!