Gransnet forums

AIBU

Urgent. Need to get stuff stored.

(15 Posts)
AlieOxon Mon 07-Jul-14 14:12:37

What would it cost to get a small vanload of stuff stored OUT of my daughter's house? In Oxford: big trouble with one grandson who has dumped it on her, and we need to get it out before he causes more trouble!
Has anyone had to do this sort of thing in a hurry and can it be done cheaply?

suebailey1 Mon 07-Jul-14 14:27:59

Often you find a Man with Van in most places who deal with small stuff quickly. The council will collect some of it for a price too but probably not quickly.

suebailey1 Mon 07-Jul-14 14:28:53

Just thought - charities may clear some of it for you if they can use it/sell it.

AlieOxon Mon 07-Jul-14 14:45:45

No, sorry if I have given the wrong idea - stuff needs to be kept! Just not at my daughter's!
Where can it go?

Grannyknot Mon 07-Jul-14 15:19:00

Allie I made a note of this organisation recently - they had won an award

https://lovespace.co.uk/?gclid=CjgKEAjwiumdBRDZyvKvqb_6mkUSJABDyYOzGrN0I7Mhd1vfa2bGYf_t9u0hH9TCWDsbXEhgd61th_D_BwE

I think they pack, box things up and take it away, and I do believe the prices are reasonable.

Good luck.

AlieOxon Mon 07-Jul-14 16:21:48

That sounds something like...will talk to my daughter but she's going to work just now. Thanks.

FlicketyB Mon 07-Jul-14 17:11:03

Why not tell DGS to move it out by a certain date or it will be binned. It is his stuff; he should deal with the inconvenience and cost of moving and storing it elsewhere

AlieOxon Mon 07-Jul-14 17:32:45

I know. But she let him bring it! Now things have changed and I will try and get her to let it be moved.

Sugarpufffairy Mon 07-Jul-14 21:39:07

If you move the items to a storage facility likely the DGS will not pay for the storage costs. I ended up having to pay the storage for my DD. She is at it again storing stuff in my old flat. This means that I can not sell or rent the flat so it is costing me income/money in the bank. Since the things went into my flat I have had difficulty even getting to speak to her.
We like to help our children and grandchildren but they need to face their responsibilities. She is mid 30s so not a teenager.
Sugarpufffairy

AlieOxon Tue 08-Jul-14 09:03:48

I know that. He is 25....
I can see me paying just to get the stuff out - before my daughter's partner gets back from working away! To avoid trouble.

faizanalam990 Mon 15-Jun-20 21:01:02

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

geekesse Mon 15-Jun-20 22:54:33

I have a storage unit about the size of a small garage which my kids and I use for stuff we want to keep, but not have around the house. It costs us a little under £200 per month.

Callistemon Mon 15-Jun-20 23:05:51

Reported
(Not yours, geekesse.)
Has anyone heard from AlieOxon lately?

GrauntyHelen Tue 16-Jun-20 01:57:37

google self storage Oxford it will give LOTS of options

Callistemon Tue 16-Jun-20 10:02:34

This thread is six years old.