Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect basic manners following an interview?

(13 Posts)
Anne58 Fri 18-Jul-14 09:34:46

I'm pretty sure that they have appointed and the new person has already started, I think it was her who answered when I rang to ask for the interviewers email address.

Still no response to the email I sent, pretty bad form really.

JessM Fri 18-Jul-14 08:15:01

If you had an interview they owe you a response. But speaking as one who is sometimes stuck in the middle between candidate and appointing manager, you would not believe the amount of dithering that can happen after an interview has taken place. e.g. changing their minds about what they are really looking for. Sigh.

Aka Thu 17-Jul-14 21:46:20

Lots of applicant should be narrowed down to a short list of half a dozen or thereabouts. And only these called for interview.

mrsmopp Thu 17-Jul-14 17:01:28

Maybe they had so many applicants that they can't be bothered to reply to them all, and postage is now quite expensive. But at least an email expressing regret and thanking the applicant for their interest should be the minimum, I'd say.
One employer told me at the interview that if I hadn't heard by the end of the week it meant I had been unsuccessful. At least I knew where I stood.
Some employers forget how stressful it is when you are job hunting and the waiting can be agonising.

rosesarered Tue 15-Jul-14 17:44:41

I wonder if this company is still dithering deciding, on who to appoint phoenix?

Bensma Tue 15-Jul-14 16:29:56

I'm still waiting to hear whether or not I got a job for which I was interviewed over 5 years ago! I think I must be on a longlist, as opposed to a shortlist, though I'm a bit worried they won't know I've moved house, haha!

Seriously, though, I think it. Is the height of bad manners. When I dealt with job applicants during the course of my work, I can honestly say that everyone who applied received a written response, and, of course, if they were interviewed then they were sent a letter with the outcome. Unfortunately more and more companies think it's ok to ignore job applications, but to not tell people the outcome of their interviews is just plain rude.

Mishap Tue 15-Jul-14 15:19:21

It is bad manners, but seems to be generally the norm nowadays - ask any young person collecting interviews like charms on a bracelet - they would not be the least surprised. Such a shame that standards have dropped so.

Aka Tue 15-Jul-14 13:55:24

That is disgraceful Phoenix. Can I suggest you call them, saying you've not heard and assume you've been unsuccessful and when they confirm this ask for feedback. I've had to do this several times with unsuccessful candidates and not over the phone either.

louisamay Tue 15-Jul-14 13:52:32

That's just how it seems to be these days, Phoenix. Really bad form but, as Charleygirl pointed out, would you really want to work there? All applicants who have been been interviewed (and usually they have sorted the wheat from the chaff by the interview stage) should be informed of their success or otherwise. A simple 'Unfortunately you have been unsuccessful ' standard-type email would suffice. Hope you hear something soon....

GillT57 Tue 15-Jul-14 12:50:16

Very bad behaviour Phoenix, I get many applicants when I advertise a job, and I try very hard to reply to all applicants as long as they were serious applicants, not just people applying for everything they possible can to keep the benefits people satisfied. So, I read every application, and send a brief email if they are not being invited for interview, common courtesy really. On the other side of it though, there have been many times ( yesterday for one) when I have emailed the candidate, called them at a time they request, had a chat, made an interview appointment, told them i will reimburse travel expenses, and then they didnt turn up.angry I do hope you get something sorted Phoenix flowers

annodomini Tue 15-Jul-14 12:40:09

My GD has just had exactly the same experience, phoenix and it's extremely discouraging.

Charleygirl Tue 15-Jul-14 12:27:16

If that is how interviewees are treated, would you want to work there? I agree, her manners are appalling.

Anne58 Tue 15-Jul-14 12:15:41

Afternoon all,

I was lucky enough to get an interview following a job application, a bit of a rare event sadly.

The interview was on July 3rd. I felt it went well, was told that it may go to a second stage as there had been a lot of applicants and there were still some left to see.

So far I have heard nothing, zilch, nada etc. Obviously I didn't make the grade, but surely they could have at least emailed if they didn't want to have to give bad news over the phone?

The most annoying thing is that a major part of the role was focussed on customer service, and I stressed how important I felt it was to phone people back when you have promised to do so. The interviewer agreed with me and said that I was totally right, and it's really just a matter of good manners!

I telephoned the company yesterday and got her email address, and have contacted her politely asking for feedback, again nothing.

No wonder I'm feeling low. sad