Gransnet forums

AIBU

Should this have been on the shelf at full price?

(25 Posts)
Anne58 Thu 17-Jul-14 16:45:19

Afternoon all.

I was in Waitrose earlier to buy a small piece of Stilton and some smoked salmon as a treat for someone very special. I only wanted the "cheap" smoked salmon, the packs of the pieces that you can get for cooking, rather than the slices, if you know what I mean.

The first pack I picked up was labelled "use by 17th July" which is today. I drew this to the attention of a member of staff who was nearby. I thought she was going to say, "Thanks for pointing that out" or at least say "Oops, that should be reduced for quick sale", but no! She said "yes, that's fine" I queried this, as "best before " on my planet, should mean that it should have been "eaten" by yesterday (before anyone says anything, no I'm not neurotic about these things, but think that they should at least be reduced in price!)

I was a bit distracted and didn't bother to argue, but found another pack stating the use by date as 20th July.

Am I being unreasonable, or do you think that the item should have at least been reduced if not removed?

goldengirl Thu 17-Jul-14 16:53:37

If I wanted to eat it today thrn I'd buy it at the price stated. If I wanted it for the 18th I might still buy it at the price stated because I wouldn't expect the sho to know when I was intending to eat it.

If I was going to buy it for a meal later then I'd look for a later date.

It would be better if the shop either reduced or removed them but we have the choice whether to buy the goods or not. A shop makes the 'offer' we we choose whether to accept or not.

Nonnie Thu 17-Jul-14 17:36:55

I think you just got a grumpy assistant. Waitrose are usually very good about such things. I love their reduced sushi.

Deedaa Thu 17-Jul-14 22:19:15

I think this comes under the invitation to treat law. If you don't want to buy an item going out of date today you don't have to, they are just offering it for sale if you are happy to buy it. Trying to sell it to you tomorrow would be a different matter.

I hope he enjoyed the packet you bought!

janeainsworth Thu 17-Jul-14 22:24:28

I think Waitrose are sometimes a bit slack. I once had to take something back because after I had got it home I discovered it was already past its sell-by date.
I now check everything in the shop (tedious) and quite often things are at the use-by date, or within a day or two of it.

Anne58 Thu 17-Jul-14 22:31:23

Deedaa so far it has been very much appreciated, he isn't swallowing the way that he should, so we are going down the little and frequent path at the moment.

Ana Thu 17-Jul-14 22:38:19

My local Tesco is the same, jane. I often see out of date products in their chilled compartments - last week a whole tray of desserts was three days past the sell-by date. I pointed it out to an assistant who just said 'oh, thanks' and carried on with whatever she was doing...hmm

I should add that this particular branch of Tesco has been prosecuted at least twice for selling out of date food. They just don't train their staff properly.

glammanana Fri 18-Jul-14 13:47:44

Tesco's near us are very slow on their stock rotation and dates are often past sell by date,Morrisons on the other hand reduce their produce on the morning of sell by date with further reductions at 2pm.I have had some good buy's doing this and pop anything into the freezer which will be used over the next few weeks.phoenix I hope little man is enjoying his special treats.

Atqui Fri 18-Jul-14 13:52:57

I have often found the same with waitrose. recently the man at the fresh meat counter persuaded us to buy some Aberdeen Angus burgers saying they were superior to the pre wrapped ones. It was Friday and we wanted them for Sunday barbecue. When we got home... about half an hour journey from the shop, and having paid toll for the Tamar bridge , we discovered they were to be eaten that day.Mental note for shopping in Waitrose- check sell buy dates carefully!

Deedaa Fri 18-Jul-14 15:12:20

I always make a point of checking the dates on the meat counter, especially if their stuff has been reduced. Although I've found that Waitrose sometimes reduces fresh meat with quite a lot of time left. I often tun up at the checkout in Aldi with out of date food I've found on the shelves. If you've ever worked in a supermarket you can't help checking!

Mishap Fri 18-Jul-14 15:13:53

I guess they are within the law as the date as stated was the day of purchase. Had they displayed it the following day they would have been in breach of the law.

annodomini Fri 18-Jul-14 16:02:38

I would bet that if you'd been shopping for it this afternoon you would have found it at a reduced price. Friday afternoon is good for reductions.

numberplease Fri 18-Jul-14 16:12:23

As long as the date was still OK on the day, they are within their rights. It`s really up to the customer to check the dates. I slipped up a couple of years ago in a caravan site shop in Scotland. I bought a pack of Aberdeen Angus burgers made by the local butcher, and recommended by the man in the shop. The following day, as I was about to cook them, I happened to notice the date as I was throwing the packaging away, and saw that the final date was 3 months earlier! They did give me my money back though, and apologised.

JessM Fri 18-Jul-14 16:34:12

Twice i have taken back some Duchy sausages to Waitrose which have started to inflate slightly before the use by date. Sign of bacterial action. Very obliging and gave me 2 packets to compensate.
I don't think they are unreasonable. Up to us to be vigilant with fresh produce I think, if we want them to have a shelf life at home.

Nonu Fri 18-Jul-14 17:24:22

Morrisons are very good on their reduced counter, Mr N went over this morning for papers .

Currys reduced to £1.79 from £3.50.

Went over this afternoon at 4pm when they usually set out the reduced counter, they had been reduced to 99p, so I was well chuffed as you can imagine !!

BIG smile

Agus Fri 18-Jul-14 18:14:47

I would have thought something that couldn't have been sold the following day should have been reduced. When I spot this type of reduction I buy the product and freeze it the same day.

Nonu Fri 18-Jul-14 18:24:05

Good idea AGUS that is what we do !

Except for the curries I bought, we will eat them tomorrow night

smile

Ana Fri 18-Jul-14 18:34:25

And there was me thinking you always made your own Saturday night curries, Nonu! grin

Nonu Fri 18-Jul-14 18:52:11

No way Hosea !
I add things to them to them so that HAS TO COUNT.

I ^DO make my own mushroom rice [brown rice]however

gringrin

absent Sat 19-Jul-14 03:19:41

phoenix Just for the record, "sell by" and "best before" dates have different purposes. The first refers to food safety and shops should not sell perishable goods after the sell by date but it is perfectly legal to sell them on that date. Best before refers to quality; in other words, although there is no food safety risk or legal obligation to remove the goods from sale, their flavour or texture may deteriorate if they are sold after the best before date.

JessM Sat 19-Jul-14 07:28:05

It's confusing isn't it. Specially when some products (pickles for instance) have very cautious best before dates. Careful attention should be payed if things are fresh e.g. fish, meat, prepared meals etc.
Nice to see you posting again Absent

thatbags Sat 19-Jul-14 07:58:18

I always look at use by dates of highly perishable stuff. Quite often I put back what I've picked up and try to find the same product with a later use by date, even if I'm going to freeze the product before I use it. With foods that have had long-keeping treatments I'm not so fussy. A lot of them only have use by dates because the law says they have to, not because they need them.

Agus Sat 19-Jul-14 08:48:27

With perishable foods I always choose from the back,of the display where the later sell by dates are.

shysal Sat 19-Jul-14 09:02:21

Agus, I always look for the dates at the back of the display of perishables, but find at my local Asda that the later dates are often at the front. This poor rotation is a common finding there, not an odd blip. I have pointed it out on a few occasions, but have found no improvement. Obviously lazy staff!

Agus Sat 19-Jul-14 09:17:39

Our local Waitrose had a 'suggestions' book which was obviously filling up too quickly Shysal. After a few books were filled, eventually no book was to be found. When I asked at customer service desk where the book was I was told any suggestions or complaints could be made on line and couldn't be dealt with by staff members in the store.