Gransnet forums

AIBU

Birthing robes anyone?

(19 Posts)
Deedaa Fri 18-Jul-14 21:11:24

These were much more like a cocktail dress than a hospital gown jingle and what on earth would you do with them afterwards?

Haven't a clue what I wore for my two. Presumably whatever nightie I'd got that would fit a 9 month pregnancy grin I had pethidine for the first one and hated it I completely lost my grip on what was happening and just kept wondering what was happening and why it hurt so much. It certainly didn't do anything for the pain at all.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 18-Jul-14 19:18:07

I really enjoyed the birth of my firstborn. They gave me pethadine without so much as a by-your-leave. I was high! No pain at all. grin

Different with the other two. Who said natural births are the best - and why?! hmm

Nonu Fri 18-Jul-14 19:10:50

I certainly made a" lorra" noise when my twins were born after an induction.

Far, far worse than when I gave birth to my first born !

Wipes brow

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 18-Jul-14 18:58:05

No yelling allowed when I had DS. Not that I would have wanted to.

Nelliemoser Fri 18-Jul-14 18:55:49

DD tells me she wore an old shirt of her husbands.

Ana Fri 18-Jul-14 18:53:33

Goodness, no shrieking allowed in the hospital I gave birth in! I'm always amazed if I catch sight of a trailer for One Born Every Minute or some such programme, at what a fuss today's women make! confused

TriciaF Fri 18-Jul-14 18:42:21

My 3rd was born in Singapore, and I shared the delivery room with 2 Ghurka ladies.
While I groaned and shrieked, they never let out a squeak, and stayed dressed in their full traditional robes throughout.
This was my first daughter, the easiest birth of all.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 18-Jul-14 18:32:08

I can remember walking round the delivery room with my backside on show. Not a good look.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 18-Jul-14 18:31:33

actually, they are very pretty And the poppers, down the back and at the sides, allow for breastfeeding and skin to skin contact.

I'm changing my mind.

Mishap Fri 18-Jul-14 18:11:49

I'm always intrigued with the women on One Born who are doing their makeup whilst in labour!

Birthing ribs indeed! Get your kit off and get on with it!

Anne58 Fri 18-Jul-14 17:17:26

anno I think that was already done by a couple on "One born every minute" who were both fashion designers, or something like that.

rosequartz Fri 18-Jul-14 17:17:18

Well, I have no recollection what I was wearing (or not).

For women with more money than sense?

Ana Fri 18-Jul-14 17:11:43

Sounds like a hospital gown to me...

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 18-Jul-14 16:52:48

Good point Jess.

JessM Fri 18-Jul-14 16:31:25

Shouldn't the slit be up the front?
Or is this a birthing robe for the mother that certainly doesn't want any messy skin to skin contact with a newborn, let alone put it to the breast.

yogagran Fri 18-Jul-14 16:21:56

I saw one of these for the first time on a recent "One Born every minute" programme, looked very odd. Mind you it was worn by a very modest mum-to-be who got changed into it in the bathroom attached to the delivery room, she had said that she didn't want her husband to see her naked. Makes you wonder how she got pregnant in the first place

HollyDaze Fri 18-Jul-14 16:05:10

Strangely enough, when labour was in full swing, I'm pretty sure I didn't care about what I was wearing and if I had, it wouldn't have made a jot of difference grin

annodomini Fri 18-Jul-14 15:48:39

Sounds like an idea from across the Atlantic. What about women who want to use a birthing pool? A birthing bikini perhaps?

Deedaa Fri 18-Jul-14 15:21:02

I was skimmimg through DD's baby magazine and found an ad for Birthing Robes!!! "Own your Labour!" it said (well no one else is going to take it on for you.) The pictures show strappy dresses with a slit up the back. Very nice I'm sure, but WHY???? If ever there's a garment you never want to see again it's probably the one you gave birth in, especially if you're like DD's friend and end up having to burn your clothes and your husband's because there's nothing else to be done with them and you're just glad you and the baby survived! The gowns are on offer for £24 which seems money that could be spent on something useful, like nappies.