Gransnet forums

AIBU

What irritates you?

(90 Posts)
NanKate Sun 27-Jul-14 21:06:21

For me it is when females on the tv sit hugging a cushion.

Oh and when they drink from a cup without holding the handle.

Gosh I must be getting old so many things annoy me. grin

Wheniwasyourage Fri 01-Aug-14 21:39:02

Most of the above plus people who think anyone else is interested in what goes on in their nasal passages. Since when is it socially acceptable to sniff? angry The exam candidates at school do it and (mostly young) people do it on buses and trains. I feel like dishing out tissues - I do when I'm invigilating as I feel it might annoy the other candidates, although they're probably used to it.

rosequartz Fri 01-Aug-14 20:07:57

ps the last paragraph was not an irritation, it was me being very angry

rosequartz Fri 01-Aug-14 20:07:18

I often put cards in with parcels to Australia (particularly at Christmas) but don't declare it. Quite honestly, what difference does it make if you are paying the correct (extortionate) postage?

Back on the subject of parking: people coming to pick up their children from school who park all up our road without consideration for people who live here who consequently are unable to get deliveries, have their rubbish collected (very narrow road, nothing can get up here other than a small car and often not then the way they park). If you nicely ask them to move or to park where they are supposed to which is a little walk away you get a mouthful of indignation and abuse (from supposedly 'nice middleclass' parents often in 4x4s).

People who allow their small child to throw stones at other small children and don't tell their child off or show any concern for your grandchild who is injured and bleeding on the head. feral idiots not nice people.

Marmight Fri 01-Aug-14 12:56:54

nono, of course (just about sums him up!)

Marmight Fri 01-Aug-14 12:56:20

None so queer as folk Elegran.
The nosy old s* * /retired nongenarian surgeon from opposite (doesn't even live in the street) got the Council, no less, to remove all the cones about 2 years ago which equated to stealing as they had to access private property to do so. However, I am gradually building up a stash of them - ha ha wink and wheelie bins are quite a good deterrent when strategically placed. I am becoming quite adept at double parking and then taking my time to move my car ..........

Elegran Fri 01-Aug-14 12:16:18

And you are quite near the beach end of the road. I'd say "reasonable acces" means not blocking their ability to drive along your street, not allowing them to park willy-nilly. Selfish neighbours are an occupational hazard.

If you can get hold of a few traffic cones, you could deploy them outside your house when you are expecting to park there - or expecting your family to want to park there when they visit . . .

Next door to me is the (unbroken by entrances) pavement at the side of the corner house, which is always empty of parked cars, so why is there usually one parked right across my front gate?

ginny Fri 01-Aug-14 12:12:24

LONA.. Thanks for the info. However I was away on holiday and it's not really something you would always have in your handbag.

Marmight Fri 01-Aug-14 11:55:49

Not possible Elegran. We have to allow 'reasonable' access through the street for the Golf Club and any other traffic. In the past everyone respected their neighbours bit, but new, younger 'it's my right to do anything I want and I don't give a s* * * about you' type neighbours have moved in and the whole system has gone to pot. So much for consideration and respect for your fellow neighbour, especially older and longer resident ones sad. We also have to contend with beach visitors who don't want to walk further than they have to ...... Oh dear, it's a hard life!

Marmight Fri 01-Aug-14 11:38:58

The Post Office have some very strange ideas. When posting a parcel containing a birthday present to Australia, I was asked whether it contained a card in a separate envelope. If so, it would cost much more - of course I said 'no' ! Never heard such nonsense shock

Elegran Fri 01-Aug-14 11:37:31

Ooooh! Can you mark it somehow so that it is obvious to anyone parking that it is private property and they could be towed away?

Marmight Fri 01-Aug-14 11:35:28

Actually the road outside my house is my property - it's a privately owned street, maintained, cleaned, re-surfaced and everything else by the resident-owners and the Council have absolutely nothing to do with it - I have it in Black and White in my missives/deeds - I own up to the middle of the road and from boundary to boundary!

Elegran Fri 01-Aug-14 11:18:25

Marmight Do you mean parking in the street in front of your house? apparently that is NOT your property and all the world and his dog has as much right to park there as you do - which means you then have to park in front of someone else's house and irritate them.

We are quite near the bus route into Edinburgh, and the streets are full of out-of-towner cars whose owners have dumped them to catch the bus into the city centre, despite there being excellent park-and-ride facilities on the edge of town.

At another part of our area, there is a very narrow bit of pavement just round the corner from the shops. Cars are frequently parked there right across the pavement while someone "pops into" a shop for something. I remonstrated with one young very able-bodied man after watching a young mother have to walk round his car into the busy road with a pram and a toddler.

He replied "I was only there five f*****g minutes" So it would be OK then for the same mother and her friends to stand in the centre of the road for five minutes chatting while the traffic waited for them to finish?

harrigran Fri 01-Aug-14 10:38:18

Cards that have a motif or something stuck on it will be charged at the higher rate, these cards usually have written on the back LARGE CARD. It may be within the allowed size but buttons and bows make it thicker and will have to be hand sorted rather than by machine.

Lona Fri 01-Aug-14 10:04:22

ginny the post office has a leaflet with all the different sizes on it.

ginny Fri 01-Aug-14 09:46:55

Many of the afore mentioned and many more ! Today it is the stupid postal charges. Along with 4 other items I posted an engagement card to my DD and her now fiancé. The other post all arrived at the correct destination the following day. It took 10 days for the engagement card to arrive because it had apparently not got the correct postage on it by 11p. It seemed to me to be a regular (though square) card. How are we supposed to tell it needs more postage other than standing in long queues ? To add insult to injury they wanted to charge £1.00 for a handling charge !

Tegan Fri 01-Aug-14 09:45:32

Yes; parking, when people don't consider other people needing to get past them, especially when, if they, say, parked on the same side of the street as another car there would be room for others to drive past. Happened to me twice the other week and one morning my daughter couldn't get to my house [I live at the end of a cul de sac]. And, [as I pointed out on another thread] having to work out how to flush toilets, wash hand etc. With some taps you need a degree in engineering to work out how to get any water out [then, of course some throw you by having little buttons on the floor that you have to stand on confused].

rosequartz Fri 01-Aug-14 09:27:34

Park on your property shock !

Sometimes neighbours park on ours but only with our permission!

Marmight Fri 01-Aug-14 09:11:15

Most things mentioned above plus
The national crazy obsession with 'celebrity' personages;
The idiot neighbours who park on my property 'because someone else is on mine, so there's nowhere else to go' which just about drives me insane;
Visitors to the beach who manage to bring everything bar the kitchen sink with them but can't manage to take their rubbish away when they leave - and they usually have the dog too which is allowed to cavort over everyone and every thing, leaving chaos and c* * * in its wake;
Supermarkets which are closing their manned check-outs and leaving the hard work to the customer (who inevitably has to ask for help at least 3x during the process angry)
Noise in general, particularly when it's a radio/music played by builders 3 doors away - I prefer to choose my own listening material!
Inappropriate clapping at classical concerts between movements which spoils the whole atmosphere - even at the end when the poor conductor still has his arms in the air and the last note is still ringing, there's always someone who wants to be the first to show his/her appreciation

....Lots more but I would sound like a Miserable Old G** (which I probably am!)

Purpledaffodil Fri 01-Aug-14 08:16:49

Supermarkets etc who put up the 'Back to school' signs in June when the poor little beggars haven't even broken up for the holidays.

rubylady Fri 01-Aug-14 01:03:05

Also on TV, when a programme etc. goes off and they squeeze the credits right up to advertise the next programme so you can't see who was in the programme, film you were watching and then you have to google it!

Londoner Thu 31-Jul-14 22:57:12

I hate all the music that's played in films so as you can't hear or understand what the actors are saying. The music is all too often louder than the dialogue !

Also, again on t.v., when the pictures move soooooo fast sometimes and "flash about", so that you can't focus......like when they introduce a sports / football clip for example and flash everything on the screen in seconds !

Ana Thu 31-Jul-14 22:15:03

Moaners.

numberplease Thu 31-Jul-14 21:52:28

My husband

NanKate Thu 31-Jul-14 21:12:47

You've been brought up properly Nonu

Nonu Thu 31-Jul-14 18:03:13

People who don"t give out serviettes/napkins at the dinner table.

People who don"t give a fork to go with the spoon when eating dessert.

hmm