Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be just a bit annoyed about the Sun again ?

(36 Posts)
GrannyTwice Tue 29-Jul-14 12:44:30

m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/5629308?1406627981

And yes, I know the parents are dreadful to allow it but the Sun cares nothing for that poor boy. Anyone reading the extracts from Nick Davies' book this week about what drives Murdoch?

HollyDaze Wed 30-Jul-14 16:13:31

They didn't blank the boy's face out in the online article I read, HollyDaze!

(In the Sun, I mean - the Huffington Post must have decided to do that in their own article)

I couldn't get the Sun link to open, it just kept buffering (probably a lot of ads on it) but I did see the Huffington Post one; my comment still stands though with regard to them. It would have been more commendable had they not reported it at all.

Maggiemaybe Wed 30-Jul-14 14:18:15

bastards

Maggiemaybe Wed 30-Jul-14 14:17:33

I'm just appalled, especially as there has been at least one case where a child was murdered because of supposed demonic possession by the -bastards- people supposedly caring for them. And even more so as I've just tried to find out the name of that child by an online search and have thrown up lots of sites where people obviously believe in the demonic possession of children. The very least this boy will now have to contend with is bullying and mockery. How can any civilised society allow this woman any publicity?

Elegran Wed 30-Jul-14 09:44:44

Yes, perhaps someone is doing the "A big boy did it and ran away" defence.

AnneMaria Wed 30-Jul-14 09:26:09

Someone may have abused the boy and they are trying to find a way out of it. Just thinking.

Eloethan Tue 29-Jul-14 21:21:25

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this headline when | went down to our newsagents for the papers. To think that a British newspaper could publish this - exploiting a young child and exposing him to all sorts of cranks - is truly disgraceful. I didn't think even the Sun would sink to such depths. And I certainly think social services should get involved as, as others have said.

People should stop buying this vile newspaper.

GadaboutGran Tue 29-Jul-14 19:25:18

I think it rather insulting to say that only snobs recognise bad taste & damaging reporting.
I just hope the mark was just a burn mark & not inflicted by a human.

Nonu Tue 29-Jul-14 19:13:28

Yes but GRANjura aren"t they the same ones who castigate others for reading the Daily Mail?????

<Le Sigh>

granjura Tue 29-Jul-14 18:53:42

Disgusting and shocking- poor child. It looks man-made with knife or blade, or a burn from a hair-dryer. I hope the social services will investigate and keep a very close eye.

And then some people here will say some of us are 'snobs' for saying this paper (!?!) is dreadful and can't understand why people read it. I despair.

Nonu Tue 29-Jul-14 18:39:25

IAM you are probably right! We probably only hear of the one"s that go wrong!

smile

Iam64 Tue 29-Jul-14 18:32:11

Nonu, your'e right, children's services should, and no doubt will, investigate. You may feel social workers aren't a lot of good, but maybe that's because you are aware of cases that have gone horribly wrong, and not about the ones that succeed in helping children and families change damaging ways of living.

Ana Tue 29-Jul-14 18:30:51

(In the Sun, I mean - the Huffington Post must have decided to do that in their own article)

Ana Tue 29-Jul-14 18:27:19

They didn't blank the boy's face out in the online article I read, HollyDaze!

Nonu Tue 29-Jul-14 18:04:16

Social services should investigate.

Not that they are a lot of good !

HollyDaze Tue 29-Jul-14 17:49:07

They give the mother's full name, the boy's full name, show a photo of his mother but blank his face out confused - he is going to be the butt of all jokes now thanks to his mother and that paper making sure those that live around them or go to the same school as the boy will know exactly who he is.

florencef1 Tue 29-Jul-14 16:48:22

Couldn't believe it when I saw it on the stand in the supermarket. What is the Editor thinking ? Complete lack of responsibility.

bookdreamer Tue 29-Jul-14 16:45:44

MiceElf. What a wonderfully constructed sentence and great use of brilliantly descriptive words!

Lilygran Tue 29-Jul-14 16:41:35

I wish you wouldn't be so mealy-mouthed, MiceElf.

MiceElf Tue 29-Jul-14 16:22:42

The cess pit of foul ordure that is the Sun is stinking every place where its print pollutes and degrades all those who are unfortunate enough to cast their eyes on it.

Nelliemoser Tue 29-Jul-14 15:23:27

Grannytwice I have posted above about this.

Read also the twitter comments underneath the Huffington Posts story. They define well why this is so damaging for this child.

Mum is alleged to have said
"A sinister Satan sign that mysteriously appeared on a four-year-old boy is proving a devil to explain," the story starts, accompanied by a picture of Samuel Jones, and his stony-faced mother, Sharon.

"Shocked" Sharon reveals her horror that her young child has clearly been cursed by some evil spirit, rather than, perhaps, there being a more plausible explanation for the mark.

"Just looking at it made me shake thinking something unnatural had visited my boy," the mother said.

"Something or someone made the sign on him but we just can't explain how."

GrannyTwice Tue 29-Jul-14 15:02:25

Love the idea Nellie that the Sun would ever ever ever do anything as public spirited as that!! Unless there was of course something in it for them....

Nelliemoser Tue 29-Jul-14 14:53:56

That is disgusting. I saw this headline in the supermarket paper stand this morning.

If that information had landed on my patch, I would be getting children's services to talk to the parents PDQ!
Mother seem to be the one to suggest the "satanic" connection! It makes me very afraid for this poor child. Are these parents out to make quick buck out of this press coverage?

Think the Shannon Mathews Kidnap! What are they about?

It does looks like a hair dryer mark. I hope it was a photo just taken quickly after applying pressure and it was not a burn.
I feels disgusted that the parents went to the press and made remarks about "satanic" marks and that the Sun decided to publish it.

They are exploiting the mother and the child. The paper itself should have referred this back to the home area Children's services.

ninathenana Tue 29-Jul-14 14:51:48

All is clear now GrannyTwice smile

GrannyTwice Tue 29-Jul-14 14:43:45

Oh dear Nina- I'm sorry - it was what is known as a pre-emptive strike. When I last started a thread about the disgrace that is the Sun several posters posted all those don't take it so seriously, calm down dear type of comments so I just thought that this time I'd get in first and save them the effort. Poor TF was first in the firing line of some misfired sarcasm. However, I am making two serious points - one about the Sun and one about the predilections of some posters who criticise strong views and feelings being expressed with nasty little put downs. Anyone who reads my posts must know that I couldn't possibly ever ever joke about the Sun or about that dreadful exploitation of a poor child

shalamar Tue 29-Jul-14 14:38:13

The Sun - yes, ridiculous first page. Not like there is nothing else going on in the world. But the mother? What was she thinking? Firstly it looks exactly like a hairdryer burn not the "mark of the devil." Secondly, consistent with that - it faded (shock!) and disappeared. I liked the tweet featured in the Huffington post article where someone had written 666 on their arm and said - oh no the sign of the devil has suddenly appeared on my arm. Sums it up really. Stupid non story. The sun should be ashamed but mostly the mother should hang her head for exploiting her poor, perfectly normal, child in this way and branding him for life. The things people will do for 15 minutes of fame without regard to the cost for their families.

(hopefully posted in the right place now)