Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hospital

(14 Posts)
Coolgran65 Mon 18-Aug-14 23:29:42

So inefficient, neglectful, frustrating.... for all of you.
The stuff of media stories.
Nina - I do hope your DH is called in without delay.

kittylester Mon 18-Aug-14 17:40:53

Nina flowers for you and wine for your DH. That really is appalling!

Aka Mon 18-Aug-14 16:38:05

Utterly disgraceful angry

Nonnie Mon 18-Aug-14 16:07:43

Oh nina that is appalling. I agree that a formal complaint is appropriate. That must mean an expensive operating theatre is being wasted for the time it would have taken to do the op. The staff time the same and a bed left empty. What a waste of resources.

ninathenana Mon 18-Aug-14 15:05:42

I wouldn't call that nothing Mishap equally lax and frustrating for you.

Mishap Mon 18-Aug-14 13:56:16

It is disgraceful. I once had to wait for many hours in an orthopaedic clinic as, after I was called in (after several hours wait) they realised that no-one had typed up the notes from my previous clinic visit many weeks previously and the consultant refused to see me without them. I can see his point, but, as you can imagine, it took ages to track down the secretary then she had to find the dictaphone tape, then type them. So more hours of waiting. The poor nurses were very apologetic.

A mere nothing compared with your poor OH, but it does also show how important the back-up services in hospitals are.

sunseeker Mon 18-Aug-14 13:43:13

When DH was taken into hospital he was put on a ward and I was told to ring the following morning, when I rang the ward the next day I was told he had been transferred to another ward - but they didn't know which one! After being transferred to several different wards I was becoming really frantic so rang our "hospital liaison" nurse, her phone went straight to answerphone - I left a message explaining the situation and asking her to ring me asap. After an hour and a half of not hearing from her I rang again, still answerphone and left another message. I then rang the first ward again and telling them if they didn't tell me there and then where he was I would come into the ward and create a scene - I could hear some paper rustling in the background and was then told which ward he had been transferred to. I was put through several hours of stress because they hadn't kept proper records. I never did receive a phone call from the "hospital liaison" nurse.

suebailey1 Mon 18-Aug-14 13:30:32

I am so sorry this has happened you must be so frustrated. You should definitely make a formal complaint.

ninathenana Mon 18-Aug-14 13:22:27

You would have thought so wouldn't you vampire Apparently it would be illegal for surgeon to operate with out file. He seemed as annoyed as us, not his fault though.

Charleygirl Mon 18-Aug-14 13:20:16

I would create merry hell. What an incompetent load of idiots.

vampirequeen Mon 18-Aug-14 13:18:30

That's appalling. Surely there were records on the computer system too.

ninathenana Mon 18-Aug-14 13:16:39

Notes are showing on computer as being 'in the library' so the conclusion is they are mis-filed and are hiding somewhere in amongst the thousands of others. He now has to attend clinic so they can make new notes and reschedule.
Meanwhile DH suffers angry

Charleygirl Mon 18-Aug-14 12:58:46

I would find out the name of the Chief Executive and let him/her know your feelings because that is totally unacceptable. Was there zilch on the computer? I feel so sorry for your DH because he would have been in a state pre op and now had to return home to come back another day when they manage to find his notes. They sound more incompetent than my local and that is saying something.

ninathenana Mon 18-Aug-14 12:46:25

DH arrived at hosp at 7am went through the book in process for his prostate op. We waited until 10am to be told "sorry cancelled" we can't find your notes !!!
Have spoken to lovely PALS lady, a complaint will be made !