Gransnet forums

AIBU

to ask the media to stop portraying the elderly as sad old souls

(75 Posts)
absentgrandma Wed 10-Sep-14 17:17:20

I am really getting hacked off with the way the media, in particular TV newsrooms, preface an article about the elderly... be it an item about dementia or care homes......with the same old library photo stock of a knarled,vein- marked hand grasping a stick??? It makes me so mad!

The same applies to library shots of care homes with 'old folks' (those two words should be banned from the Oxford Dictionary on the grounds of discrimination alone!) sitting in high-backed chairs placed around the walls of the communal lounge (God's waiting room) while the brain dead inhabitants watch daytime telly! What the hell is all that about? Do we actually do that in our owm homes?

If what's awaiting me I'd rather top myself. But I refuse to accept this is a true potrayal of the over -seventies today.

Nonnie Mon 15-Sep-14 17:33:15

No idea Jane10 but they are a great bunch and tolerant of most things grin

Jane10 Mon 15-Sep-14 17:02:31

Thanks nonnie are they OK about flatulence too? Just asking. no particular reason grin

dorsetpennt Mon 15-Sep-14 12:55:39

There have been a few films about elderly/retired people like A Song for Marion, The Quartet and the Marigold Hotel . All portraying elderly people as a quaint feisty bunch , all very condescending . Boomers seems very like this so have given it a miss. I have talked before about the fact that women become more invisible has time goes on. By 6oplus both men and women are completely invisible. to everyone.

Casawan Mon 15-Sep-14 12:19:17

Couldn't agree more. Boomers is a dreadful programme. Shame on the actors, who, at their ages, should have recognised it for the patronising rubbish it really is.

Casawan Mon 15-Sep-14 12:15:46

Not just sad old souls, but a drain on society. We, apparently, are responsible for the overload on the NHS; for the shortage of family housing by sitting in our too big homes; for draining the economy by living longer and drawing pensions; for hogging jobs and keeping young people out of work and we are responsible for the recent recession by taking on too much credit. Recently I heard a thirty- something man complain, on TV, about people of my baby-boomer generation having the effrontery to expect to have a decent standard of living after retirement and in so doing 'spending their inheritance'. And why does the Press represent all retired people as well off?
And have you noticed how you become invisible once you get older? I've lost count of the number of times someone has queue jumped or swung a door shut in my face.
I guess that as all the other isms have been rendered, quite rightly, unacceptable the older generations are all that's left for the rest to have a pop at. Still, their turn will come.....if they're lucky.

Nonnie Mon 15-Sep-14 10:59:06

She is still working and will probably never stop. Her age shows in her face but not her body. Amazing woman, can't wait to see the show.

Jane go to a daytime Pilates class, it will be full of retired people and if you have a good teacher they will adapt to everyone's aches and pains!

Jane10 Mon 15-Sep-14 10:15:49

wowee- what a girl! If I sit on the floor at all it takes me ages and lots of swearing to crawl back up again. Probably why I was expelled from the yoga class. Should have joined the penshioners one with a conshession!

Nonnie Mon 15-Sep-14 10:05:41

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29122376

How many of are this good?

rosequartz Mon 15-Sep-14 10:02:28

Conshession perhaps?

What do you have to do at a prom?
Drink those fruity vodka drinks? (I will be sick all down my prom dress if I do)
I suppose a nice chilled glass of Chablis would not be de rigueur.

durhamjen Mon 15-Sep-14 09:52:43

I still prefer to be a concession. It puts me on a par with students at times.

Nonnie Mon 15-Sep-14 09:47:39

Why does housing for older people start at 55? I've even seen it at 50. Perhaps we should all take one over and party all the time?

I don't really care what the media think of us, we can portray ourselves as we like and gradually change the perception. One of the best things about being retired is that you can do what you like and not care what anyone thinks. No boss to please and you don't need to ask permission to go away for as long as you like. I wear what I like and don't care if anyone thinks it is not age appropriate if I like it. One DS keeps complaining that we are never home when he calls but loves it really. When Mr N bought some bright trousers he told his wife that was where he got his dress sense from.

Being a penshioner is great, they can call me that when I make the front page grin

Experigran Mon 15-Sep-14 08:32:19

I got really annoyed when I watched Boomers, a sit com about a group of newly retired friends. I thought that for once it would be interesting. What I saw was insulting to that age group. The characters are depicted as pathetic, childish adults I would hate to think that I have ever been remotely like that and I have been retired now for 16 years. The elderly mother is depicted as demented, of course. I only watched the first episode.

absent Mon 15-Sep-14 03:28:27

Don't forget to get your hair back combed and teased Nonu. grin

Nonu Mon 15-Sep-14 01:30:33

Frilly frocks,oops tasteless frilly frocks gross limousines [preverably white], go to a prom , what a total scream, Iam to old for Proms as it happens !!
grin

Purpledaffodil Sun 14-Sep-14 20:18:23

Ooh yes please absent! Count me in, let's release our inner 'Grease'. If you see what I mean grin

absent Sun 14-Sep-14 20:03:07

Senior - isn't that someone in the oldest group at school? Perhaps we should all buy tasteless frilly frocks, hire gross limousines and go to a prom.

Jane10 Sun 14-Sep-14 10:46:20

Yup think I`ll have to embrace my inner "penshioner" too. Feel "hic" should come shortly after. Now going for a nice lie down..................

kittylester Sun 14-Sep-14 08:08:06

)!!! I like penshioner too!

petallus Sun 14-Sep-14 08:01:26

I like penshioner. Sounds a bit tiddly.

kittylester Sun 14-Sep-14 07:39:11

I hate 'senior' Nonu.

I'm a person - that's all! I have a pension, a state pension, DH, children, grandchildren, a mother etc etc. I volunteer, gossip, support, need support, enjoy Meatloaf, Dolly Parton, chick lit books. There is no one quite like me (or any one else for that matter!

Nonu Sun 14-Sep-14 00:24:51

I think it rather churlish the way the media bandy the word pensioner about .
Much , much prefer ^SENIOR ^as used in the US of A .
smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 13-Sep-14 13:59:22

(old ones of course)

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 13-Sep-14 13:59:04

How did I know you'd wear Hush Puppies Feetle? grin

feetlebaum Sat 13-Sep-14 13:08:54

I only have one pair of wearable shoes - brown leather Hush Puppies that I've had for over twenty years... Crocs are my everyday footwear, having discovered them in hospital seven years ago - the nursing staff were all wearing them... wonderful things!

Galen Sat 13-Sep-14 12:56:39

Can I be a penshioner as well? (Having over ridden iPad that didn't want to let me)