Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect people go up steps on the left.

(30 Posts)
crossstitchgill Wed 17-Dec-14 15:54:21

I always thought that in this country, as we drive on the left, we would go up and down steps, at the station for instance, on the left. I try to make a point of this but come across people going the other way and have to change route to accommodate them! Am I just being awkward?

Tegan Thu 18-Dec-14 10:35:27

Being right handed I always hold on to the rail with my right hand [never thought to do otherwise]. Although I'd go with the flow if everyone else was going the other way.

Anniebach Thu 18-Dec-14 10:20:58

Left for me , I am left handed and always want to reach out/ hold with my left hand

granjo39 Thu 18-Dec-14 01:00:41

I think the majority of people are right handed and therefore hold onto the rail on the right hand side for safety reasons. That's my excuse anyway.grin

Faye Wed 17-Dec-14 23:58:20

One thing I liked about working in London was everyone mostly kept, I thought it was to the left. It is so long ago I really do forget which side it was but it was at least to one side. Here in Oz they have no idea and stand in the middle not giving a thought to the person who wants to pass them. It drives me mad as everyone behind on the escalator has to slowly make their way up the escalator because one person won't stand to the left or right.

#very impatient from Australia tchgrin

janerowena Wed 17-Dec-14 23:41:33

I have to go to the right too, which is fine on escalators, as I need to hang on with my right hand to compensate for a dodgy hip. You just don't realise why people do what they do until you get older.

durhamjen Wed 17-Dec-14 23:07:19

Phoenix, you'll have to go and see Paddington re the dogs.

I am afraid I prefer to walk on the right as I cannot see out of my right eye, and prefer to be able to see if anyone is likely to overtake me.

Charleygirl Wed 17-Dec-14 22:39:59

Riverwalk if we gave way, we would still be standing on the tube platform because everybody else would have barged forward. You are well aware what it is like to have to allow at least 2 tubes go by because they were so full. There used to be a stampede when the next had the temerity to stop allowing about 3 on board. So glad I am out of that going to work lark in central London.

Riverwalk Wed 17-Dec-14 21:01:07

Grannyknot tchgrin

Yes we Londoners are trained to gird our loins, elbows at the ready, know where we're going and charge through the crowds at the tube station!

No dawdling - ya just have to go for it!

Grannyknot Wed 17-Dec-14 20:21:24

phoenix tchgrin

cross please don't tell me there are separate rules for stairs and escalators! No wonder I'm tchconfused tchgrin

On another note, having worked in London for years, husband and I are so darn pushy in crowds (sharp elbows and all that) that when we were visiting relatives in Bath, my SIL pulled me to one side and said "Please stop barging through the crowd, you're embarrassing me!" tchblush It made me realise what a monster I'd become!

rosequartz Wed 17-Dec-14 20:12:46

I shall have to take a DGC with me and borrow a dog.

Greenfinch Wed 17-Dec-14 19:58:13

I have a weakness in my left leg which means I have to hold onto a rail on the right. This gets me into all sorts of difficulties with people coming down so I need to wait until most people have come down. I think people just think I am being awkward.

POGS Wed 17-Dec-14 19:50:00

Blimey I am probably a 'serial offender'.

I don't mean that sarcastically I have never given it a minutes thought. I will now.

yogagran Wed 17-Dec-14 19:48:16

phoenix a sign at Gatwick airport states that "small children must be held tightly". I didn't have one with me wink

crossstitchgill Wed 17-Dec-14 18:54:56

I thought it was stand on the right but walk on the left on the escalators. I am a bit nervous of steps since I fell down a flight of stairs in a friend's house - with only a black eye to show for it, thankfully.

tanith Wed 17-Dec-14 18:07:15

It is certainly stand on the right on the escalators and I've always gone up or down stairs on the right it always used to be what most people did but nowadays its a free for all mostly.. I still walk up or down on the right and bugger anyone who is going the wrong way.

loopylou Wed 17-Dec-14 18:05:08

I know Charleygirl, am a liability according to DCs...... Did nurse training nearly 40 years ago in London but rarely been back since so bit slow to catch on I'm afraid. Need to sharpen up my act for next visit!

NfkDumpling Wed 17-Dec-14 17:45:50

I always thought you went to the right - like on the tube. Seems to work most of the time.

Anne58 Wed 17-Dec-14 17:44:03

I was always intrigued by the sign on the Underground escalators that says "Dogs must be carried"

What do you do if you don't have a dog? tchconfused

Charleygirl Wed 17-Dec-14 17:40:22

loolylou if you had lived in London as long as I have you would soon learn the ways of the tube. You are more likely to have a nasty accident if you go against the rules, written or otherwise.

loopylou Wed 17-Dec-14 17:20:46

One tube escalators am usually too busy trying to cling on to handrail, avoid tripping up and starting a human domino effect and not looking down or up (get vertigo!) to also look out for notices confused, let alone watch out for pickpockets and other people-perhaps my multitasking abilities are starting to fray!

feetlebaum Wed 17-Dec-14 17:18:41

@Grannyknot - in Sydney, Australia, the rule is 'stand on the left' on the subway escalator.

thatbags Wed 17-Dec-14 17:15:00

Try switching to the right, crossstitch. If you don't have to shift for other people, the problem is solved. If you still have to shift for others, there clearly is no rule but just a case of who gives way first.

The times I've used London Underground escalators, I'm pretty sure there were notices asking people to stand on the right, if my memory serves me correctly.

rosesarered Wed 17-Dec-14 16:41:29

Never knew this about steps/stairs? I would naturally go up stairs on the right hand side, and come down again on the left.

loopylou Wed 17-Dec-14 16:38:09

So that's why my DCs who live in London get so exasperated with me when we use the tube! The light dawneth tchblush slowly, admittedly!

Grannyknot Wed 17-Dec-14 16:28:41

Too many rules! On the Tube escalators it's stand on the right confused

I'm very tolerant of people who don't know the rules (especially the unwritten ones) when it comes to things like that tchsmile