Gransnet forums

AIBU

Winning raffle prizes

(21 Posts)
rosequartz Tue 23-Dec-14 14:59:02

dogsdinner I wonder if she looks at GN?

Lona Tue 23-Dec-14 14:56:22

Why don't people just buy one ticket and make a donation. It seems obvious that if someone buys a lot of tickets, they may win several prizes.

rosequartz Tue 23-Dec-14 14:55:43

I don't think she should have taken more than two. However, I do know people whose attitude is 'I bought the tickets, so the prizes are mine'.

We have been in a couple of raffles recently, I did win star prize (unusual for me) and told them to draw again when another of my numbers came up. Another raffle had more prizes than people in the room (we had all donated at least one or more of the prizes) and I did accept two as everyone had won at least one.
There was a big raffle at a do we went to last week with prizes varying from chocolates up to hampers - they held up each prize randomly (not the best first) and the next ticket drawn won it. Didn't win one that time!

rubysong Tue 23-Dec-14 14:37:36

The B&Q ticket sounds as if it might have been a scam. I only buy in those circumstances if it is a charity I know about and preferably know the person selling the tickets.
In our village it is ' the done thing' to only take one raffle prize and redraw the others.

Pittcity Tue 23-Dec-14 12:25:25

I bought some raffle tickets at a Charity Bazaar earlier this month. I had another engagement and so left.
I was surprised when a friend turned up a couple of days later with 3 prizes that I had won. As I hadn't been there to choose they were the booby prizes and not worth much.
If I had been there I would have taken one and let the others be redrawn.

Elegran Tue 23-Dec-14 11:18:10

I would complain to B&Q. The ticket sellers won't be anything to do with them, but they should have permission from the store to accost customers, and their performance doesn't do B&Q's image any good.

When I used to do a similar thing for a charity, we had to be apply to the store and be allocated a date, then we were checked out on arrival and told exactly where to stand and how to conduct ourselves. Never did B&Q but I imagine they have a similar system, and anyone who caused complaints would hear about it, and might not get a date the next time round.

Elegran Tue 23-Dec-14 11:13:21

Organisers of raffles/tombolas sold to the public have to state in writing what the prize is - and produce it for a winning ticket. It is all too easy to sell tickets and then never come up with a prize!

gillybob Tue 23-Dec-14 10:35:35

I kind of thought the same thing Elegran but didn't want to make a fuss.

Elegran Tue 23-Dec-14 10:18:06

Gillybob I think that is illegal!

Charleygirl Tue 23-Dec-14 09:11:14

dogsdinner I was at a coffee morning a few months ago and similar happened there. Neighbours of the couple holding the coffee morning donated lovely prizes such as eg a printer and from memory there were at least 12 prizes to be won. It was one of his neighbours who appeared to have won at least 6 prizes and he took every one of them.

One elderly lady won a box of chocolates and was delighted. When she won another, she asked for the latter prize to be drawn again and guess who won it?!!! I personally think that it shows sheer greed to carry on like that.

Teetime Tue 23-Dec-14 08:48:23

This happens at our Golf Club all the time and strangely its always the best players and their wives who win. I by one ticket, discard it immediately and forget all about it.

gillybob Tue 23-Dec-14 08:23:48

I don't do Facebook purpledaffodil. The children were hugely excited to have picked a winning ticket and I would have thought that a huge shop like B & Q coukd have found something to give them as their prize especially given that the shop was crammed full of Christmas decorations etc. miserable Scrooges.

Purpledaffodil Tue 23-Dec-14 07:03:00

That is shocking Gillybob. Why not try posting it on their Facebook page? That usually gets some results. I believe Twitter is effective too if you use it.

gillybob Mon 22-Dec-14 23:55:08

A couple of week ago DH and I were in B & Q. Just as we went in the door we were accosted approached by someone selling tombola tickets for children in need. We had our 3 DGC with us so we bought 3 tickets. One of the tickets turned out to be a winner !!!!!! DGC were very excited but we were told "sorry but there has been a mix up and there is no prize with that number" DGC were very upset. B&Q, Wallsend, Newcastle , sorry, I am naming and shaming but no one was prepared to do/say anything!

Deedaa Mon 22-Dec-14 23:00:35

One year the Young Farmers' Club did a Christmas raffle. The first prize was a turkey which was won by the butcher who donated it. It was redrawn and we won it - we then won a pair of tankards that we had donated! We put the tankards back in the raffle and went on to win another couple of prizes which we had to have re drawn as the turkey seemed more than enough.

glammanana Mon 22-Dec-14 17:20:21

tiggy tchgrin

tiggypiro Mon 22-Dec-14 16:41:17

Totally agree - seems very greedy however many tickets she bought. I have never had to decline a 2nd raffle prize as I couldn't win a raffle even if I was the only person buying a ticket !

whenim64 Mon 22-Dec-14 16:38:42

It smacks of greed when people do things like this. I would have asked them to draw again if I had already been lucky a couple of times.

glammanana Mon 22-Dec-14 16:18:42

I am on the same thoughts as you dogsdinner this happened to us once at my DSs football presentation one year when we where drawn out no less than 8 times for prizes, after the first two we declined and reoffered them to be drawn again there is no way we would have claimed all the prizes for ourselves it was a raffle for the good of the whole football club and all the families had contributed so deserved a chance of winning.

loopylou Mon 22-Dec-14 16:16:51

One, and asked the person doing the draw to re-draw the rest. That was awful behaviour, people will have long memories.

dogsdinner Mon 22-Dec-14 16:11:58

Am I being unreasonable to expect some sort of restraint when you have winning tickets at raffles. Yesterday my D took GS to small Special Needs Xmas Party run by group of the mothers at village hall. A granny had bought loads of raffle tickets and won no less than 20 prizes choosing to take each time the best prize she could. Since there were a lot of families with little money and only a couple of tickets I feel she could at least declined a prize on a few of the winning tickets. It was after all to raise money for the children. How many prizes would others have taken?