Gransnet forums

AIBU

Home DNA tests

(10 Posts)
vampirequeen Sat 10-Jan-15 16:25:29

I've just seen an advert on TV for a company offering DNA reports so I looked online to see what it was about. For £125 they will send you a saliva swab which you return and they test your DNA for markers. Most of the things they tell you are the harmless and blatantly obvious such as you are likely to have brown eyes. Doh I know that from looking in the mirror.

But they also tell you if you have genetic risk factors such as, what they call, the Alzheimer's variant. If you have this apparently you have a higher risk of developing the condition. They don't tell you what gene is affected even though several genes can be involved plus many unknown factors. They suggest that you contact your health provider for advice. Jeez GPs are going to love this.

What's the point of this other that to get money out of people?

crun Sat 10-Jan-15 20:02:30

After I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation I had a spate of letters selling heart tests including echo, ecg etc. When I rang and asked them where they got my name and address they couldn't answer the question......

Grannyknot Sat 10-Jan-15 20:47:28

(Bit off topic but) Crun, a young friend recently had a cold sore. She sent her friend of text saying "Starting with a cold sore"! sad face emoticon. From then on in there were adverts for cold sore cream/medication on her Facebook, gmail, Google home page you name it. She has come to the conclusion that her texts are being scanned via one of the apps on her phone.

vampire there was a thread on the matter in your OP quite recently. The company currently advertising (23 and me) are part owned by Google. In my view it is a moneymaking venture and not much more (these over the counter DNA tests).

crun Sat 10-Jan-15 22:51:11

Yes, GK, I've noticed that a lot of my spam relates to subjects I have posted on forums. I wonder whether they can link a username to an email address without the forum operator giving them the info. Perhaps Pompa will be along with an answer. It would have been a lot harder to link my computer traffic to my home address, because I was using the computers in the library at that time.

Charleygirl Sun 11-Jan-15 11:31:26

I have very recently bought a car new to me which I mentioned on email to friends but also on an open forum here. I am still being invited to test drive various types of vehicles, the latest being a Mercedes, rather out of my league.

crun Mon 12-Jan-15 14:44:31

I'm always bemused by the way that Amazon et al try to sell you the very thing you just bought. If you buy a video recorder they'll show you a video recorder say and "we thought you might be interested in this".

confusedbeetle Mon 01-Jun-15 18:26:52

Many apps on smartphones have dodgy privacy conditions, Apparently the Facebook app can access most of your phone. I wish I knew how to delete it

Mishap Mon 01-Jun-15 18:44:02

I bought a Shewee on line and was then sent an email saying "You bought a Shewwee, so we thought you might like this." It was a wooden mallet!!

Ana Mon 01-Jun-15 18:47:40

Camping equipment - obviously in their minds only campers would want a Shewee!

vampirequeen Tue 02-Jun-15 09:15:35

I took part in a game on another website where we posted about bizarre things to see if an advert would appear. Our best result was when someone posted about having to wear big knickers. Sure enough the adverts for big knickers arrived followed by incontinence knickers and even bloomers lol.