Gransnet forums

AIBU

in being disgusted with Oxford SU inviting Marine Lepen???

(184 Posts)
granjura Sat 07-Feb-15 20:36:50

what were they thinking about??? She represents the extreme and racist right and should not be given a platform in the UK- should she?

granjura Thu 12-Feb-15 20:24:45

Not wanting to stir more trouble, but White South Africans come in different guises. It is those of Boer/Dutch/Norvegian origin who speak Afrikaans who do tend (trying not to stereotype) to have extreme views- those whose parents/grand-parents were responsible for the Apartheid regime, and still hark after it to this day. And also those of Huguenot French origin, who were also 'responsible' like the families of the infamous Eugène Terre Blanche, a nasty piece of work.

Those of English origin tend not to have such extreme attitudes.

My OH family at the time of Apartheid were in the worst possible situation- a mix of Norvegian, Dutch, Black African, English and Indonesian- living in the Malay quarters of Cape Towns- and with children in all shades- neither one group, nor another. Hence OH's parents decision to emigrate to England.

annodomini Thu 12-Feb-15 20:05:10

I agree with you, Eloethan. In my youth, when I was 'playing the field', I knew I could never bear to go out with a boyfriend whose political opinions were utterly different from mine and I never did. Evidently they were not attracted to me. Apparently, since leaving me almost 30 years ago, ex has become less radical than he once was!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 12-Feb-15 19:23:53

Blimey. hmm

Eloethan Thu 12-Feb-15 19:17:45

absentgrandma I think I'm pretty easy going and I have friends whose views are very different from my own. However, I would draw the line at a person with dwarfism being talked about as if they were somehow undesirable and I certainly wouldn't find it at all amusing.

I think it rather fortunate that you never had any applications from ethnic minorities since your friend's horrible attitudes would no doubt have been picked up by them. You may find it hilarious that someone has such unpleasant views but those who are subjected to them do not find them funny at all. Are you really saying that as long as someone is polite and charming to you, their horrible prejudices should be met with a gentle, half amused, rebuke?

As I've said before, it's easy being tolerant when you're not the target of another's intolerance.

rosequartz Thu 12-Feb-15 19:13:03

which is why she should be allowed free speech. Get a grip Rose

Rambling a bit today (mind in several places at once!)

She should not be allowed free speech simply because I have only seen her once, but because people should be given the chance to judge what she says and accept or reject her utterings.

rosequartz Thu 12-Feb-15 19:10:44

Not drifted that far Soutra grin
Still talking about right-wingers (albeit in a roundabout way)

I have only seen her on the telly once (briefly) so can't judge - which is why she should be allowed free speech.

Marine Le Pen that is, not Snow White. I have seen Snow White a few times. But only on the telly as well.
DGD2 loves her (Snow White again, not M le P)

Soutra Thu 12-Feb-15 19:06:22

I am reminded (don't ask me why) of the wonderful Mae West quote:
"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted"

rosequartz Thu 12-Feb-15 18:09:49

They moved away TriciaF (thankfully)
The wife (mum) was lovely!

TriciaF Thu 12-Feb-15 16:49:25

Rosequartz - white South Africans. Their views do raise my hackles. We had friends here who were white S.A.s, and I once told them I thought that whites should never have colonised S.A. and stolen their mineral riches.
Silence. No reply. We remained friends but they've returned now.
I always resent the success of the S.A. rugby teams for the same reasons.

soontobe Thu 12-Feb-15 16:23:20

I have lots of friends already. I dont really make enough time for those I already have. I am not hugely sociable really, so grunt a bit when I have to go out sometimes. Especially in the evernings.
I have recently taken on a volunteer job which will force me to meet new people. Though I suspect they wont, in the main, be largely different from those I already know.

[I do think that this thread has rather veered. But granjura did leave a while ago].

Anya Thu 12-Feb-15 16:09:55

Misunderstood perhaps Elegran

absentgrandma Thu 12-Feb-15 15:50:14

Surely this is basically an argumentdiscussion about freedom of speech. Okay, it could be in the Oxford Union or Speaker's Corner - one of the last truly democratic spots in London. Our freedoms are being eroded day by day, month by month and to me this is one of the tragedies of the 21st century. There are many on this forum who beg to differ on all sorts of subjects … that, soontobe, is freedom of expression, and I mourn it's demise.

As I referred to previously I had a French colleague who was a card- carrying member of the FN. His politics were not in tune with mine, but we worked together for many years without falling out over our differing political stances.

I remember (with some nostalgia) his highly un-PC remarks regarding some of the English families I had recruited to host French students. I went entirely on what the family in question was like...ie could they offer a student a warm family environment.... a clean home, some good outings etc..? On a couple of occasions two of my families 'ruffled his feathers', much to my amusement. He had to visit each student during the course of a two week stay..... on the first occasion he returned in a high dudgeon to enquire if I knew that the mother of the family had 'pictures' on her arms(he meant tattoos). I told him I did and what difference did it make? They were an excellent family with. impeccable references. 'But only gipsies or prostitutes have tattoos', he replied. I put him straight on that one. Then he was shocked to find I had housed a student in a family where one of the children was..... he paused at this point to control his feelings(!!)...a dwarf. DD2, who was about 12 at the time, fell about laughing. I almost did, but managed to look severely disapproving and told him, a) the word dwarf was no longer used in polite company in the UK, and b) what difference did it make anyway?

I never had any applications from ethnic minorities unfortunately, as I would have loved to have really tested his prejudice. Despite this we never fell out on a personal level and some twenty years later are still 'Christmas card' friends. Why should I fall out with a charming guy, who in every other way was a delightful guest in my home?

I have gay friends, homophobic friends, friends who are so far to the left/right they almost meet themselves coming back, friends who are vehemently opposed to woman priests, woman friends who were some of the first to be ordained, hunting friends, anti hunting friends... I may think some of them are deluded, bonkers even but they have a right to be heard.... unless they resort to physical violence, then that's another matter.

I rejoice in my wide spectrum of friends as I think it makes me a more tolerant person. I have some sympathy with those who only feel safe in the company of like minded friends, but why not be a bit adventurous and widen your circle? You might actually make some new friends
Sorry for such a long posting..... I do tend to go on.

Soutra Thu 12-Feb-15 15:35:41

smile I could start an extremist party for that hmm

Elegran Thu 12-Feb-15 15:22:46

Xd posts. Oh my, one does have to look out for people who misread posts, doesn't one?

Elegran Thu 12-Feb-15 15:20:19

I too am "Not aware" of meeting them but "almost certainly have". If they don"t have a badge saying "MEMBER OF RABID EXTREMIST PARTY" and are not actually ranting when our paths cross, they could be meek middle-of-the-roaders for all I know.

But I have met people who expressed far stronger opinions on certain subjects than I would, and some of them were terribly respectable little old ladies.

Soutra Thu 12-Feb-15 15:16:35

Except the vegans Vulcans as they have pointy ears.

Soutra Thu 12-Feb-15 15:13:54

I said I wasn't aware of having met any but have presumably encountered them. What is unclear about that?
By the law of averages any of us will have come across people of all shades of political or religious opinion, but if they are not tub thumping or flag waving it may not be necessarily relevant to know their views and one may be unaware of them. My postman /the village shopkeeper/members of my Literature class/ all at GNHQ may be members of UKIP or possibly Vulcans vegans but unless it comes up in conversation how am I to know? They don't go around with stickers on their heads!grin
I should have thought that was simple enough to understand.

Anya Thu 12-Feb-15 14:36:49

Don't follow the gist of your post at all Soutra you seem to be firstly saying you haven't met any 'rabid extremists' then you have almost certainly encountered them confused

soontobe Thu 12-Feb-15 14:29:40

So you havent met any either.

Soutra Thu 12-Feb-15 13:55:06

I don't think it is a valid excuse to plead a "sheltered upbringing" grin
Which century is this we are living in?
I don't think I am aware of meeting many or even any rabid extremists of either (Right or Left wing) inclination, anyway not so's you'd notice-nobody waving a red flag or wearing a UKIP badgegrin but I almost certainly have encountered them in the course of my everyday life. Having an open mind is what matters, thinking my own thoughts and coming to my own conclusions and you can't do that with your fingers in your ears!

soontobe Thu 12-Feb-15 11:46:51

Are you all trying to shock me? hmm shock
It is helping a bit, actually. smile

rosequartz Thu 12-Feb-15 11:38:23

Years ago we had a visitor, the step-father of DD's friend who came to pick up his daughter. He was from SA. Because the girls had not come back from shopping I offered him a cuppa while he waited for her.
He launched into extremist views that would make the BNP look moderate. I have never felt uncomfortable in my own home except on that day.

Juliette Thu 12-Feb-15 11:36:30

I think I might be married to a 'closet' UKIP supporter, not sure if he'll come 'out' or not. Should make for a few interesting conversations as the election heats up. smile

janeainsworth Thu 12-Feb-15 11:23:55

My American DiL's father watches Fox Newsshock

Galen Thu 12-Feb-15 10:58:30

Many of my neighbours are UKIP supporters.
I'm not