Gransnet forums

AIBU

Throw away society

(66 Posts)
petra Fri 13-Feb-15 16:54:31

Aibu to think that a TV we bought 6 weeks ago is 'beyond economic repair'
Those are the words from Lg.
We have exchanged several emails, with them telling us how to fix the problem. When I asked for an engineer to call, that is what I was told.
They have sent a letter to take to Curry's to get my money back!

Ana Sat 14-Feb-15 18:15:38

Sorry, none of my business I know - I didn't even realise you could pay that much for them.

harrigran Sat 14-Feb-15 18:20:45

We paid that much for the first flat screen that came out, it was 22" and none of the frills you get now.

durhamjen Sat 14-Feb-15 18:25:16

Petra, your contract is with Currys anyway if that was where you bought it. They should replace it, not LG.

annodomini Sat 14-Feb-15 19:02:29

Exactly, durhamjen. The retailer is responsible for the quality of the products they sell (supply of goods and services act) and should always be the first port of call if the product is 'not fit for purpose' or not 'of merchantable quality'.

petra Sun 15-Feb-15 09:16:02

Lg will not let Curry's look at these TVs. When we first complained they phoned Lg while we were there and were told that Lg alone deal with them.

soontobe Sun 15-Feb-15 09:21:22

Perhaps because Currys wouldnt choose to stock them otherwise, when they know that some of them are going to be shortly faulty?

Nelliemoser Sun 15-Feb-15 10:08:07

Petra Currys should not have told you that. The retailer is fully responsible and they should sort out any problems with the manufacturers. after refunding or replacing your purchase.

I had an Indesit dish washer as a replacement under warranty. From Currys or Comet. I can't rememberwho now. That failed after a month.

We called out an engineer. After three attempts to send the correct spare part we gave up, asked them to take it away and upgraded to a new Bosch which after 13 yrs is still working. There was no hassle with that at all.

TriciaF Sun 15-Feb-15 10:14:55

Husband was a tv engineer for many years - he worked for Curry's at first, then had his own business from our garage. He used to spend hours on one set, trial and error to find the fault. But later, as Jings said , most repairs were done by replacement of a circuit board etc.
Now it seems he would be out of a job - tv engineers no longer exist.

petra Sun 15-Feb-15 11:48:13

Nellie. It wasn't Currys that told us they wouldn't look at the set. It was Lg who wouldn't let Currys look at the set.
The problem seems to be that the Eco settings are not working, ie if you leave it too long without changing channel it turns itself off, although that was ok.
Our problem was that there is an Eco setting where if the TV reads that there is too much brightness it will lower the brightness to save electricity. You can switch this off but ours wasn't working. These TVs use about a KW an hour if you don't use the Eco settings.

pompa Sun 15-Feb-15 12:21:55

Beyond economic repair may indicted that there has been a design change and the unit should be replaced rather than be repaired, if this is within the warranty period, it should be FOC.

durhamjen Sun 15-Feb-15 13:10:18

Just because LG wouldn't let Currys look at the set is no reason for Currys not to give you a replacement or your money back. It's a trading standards matter. It's not fit for purpose. Doesn't do what it says on the tin.
Your contract is with Currys. They should not sell you something that is faulty in that time.
I always find threatening the company with trading standards gets me my money back for a faulty product.

petra Sun 15-Feb-15 14:12:27

I did say on Friday, Jen, that Currys have given us our money back.
They didn't argue at all.

POGS Sun 15-Feb-15 15:18:33

Why is Curry's getting attacked Petra said she had her money back!

I have had good service from Curry's to be honest, I quite like them.

It certainly is a high end t.v Petra and you would have thought a replacement would have been a better option for LG.

If I was a conspiracy theorist I would be thinking there is something sinister going on given the recent stories of privacy and such products. grin

crun Sun 15-Feb-15 15:47:55

"You spent £2,500 on a tv? [faints clean away...]"

Peanuts smile

Ana Sun 15-Feb-15 16:12:48

I notice it's out of stock. Must have been a run on them...wink

absentgrandma Sun 15-Feb-15 16:24:34

Where are all these non-functioning 'throw -aways ' ending up? In a land-fill. And no-one seems to give a toss, as long as they can still dry their clothes without having to step outside , watch TV in 3D on a screen which fills the room and renew their 3-piece suite every time the Furniture Warehouse (or who-ever) has a sale... which is, on average, every weekend.

Elegran Sun 15-Feb-15 16:26:14

" Must have been a run on them..."

More likely they have been withdrawn because they were substandard.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 15-Feb-15 16:28:51

The throw-away society is down to people wanting more, more, more, all the time. People are just not content any more.

pompa Sun 15-Feb-15 16:59:20

Modern electronic circuits contain very few replaceable components and have to be replaced, the cost of their replacement is a fraction of the cost when we had old style circuit boards that had replaceable components.
I worked on the first production TV's back in the 60's, they had 14 PCB's, today those 14 PCB's have been replaced by a few Integrated circuit. Without those Integrated circuits, you wold not be having this chat on your laptop.

durhamjen Sun 15-Feb-15 17:13:37

I do not think they are allowed to end up in landfill any more, absentgrandma. There is an EE directive that all electrical stuff has to be disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 15-Feb-15 17:19:55

What do they do with them then? Is there an environmentally friendly way to dispose of a tv?

durhamjen Sun 15-Feb-15 17:27:38

They have to take them to bits and recycle all the parts. Anything made after 2005 is part of the system, the Waste Electronic and Electrical something or other directive.

I imagine the problem would be quite simple to fix, so they will just put new circuit boards in and put them back on the market, as pompa says. It's just that it's probably better to take them all off the market and fix them all, rather than get a bad reputation.

crun Sun 15-Feb-15 19:08:46

The scope for reusing electronic components is virtually nil.

Firstly large scale integrated circuits are all application-specific. They're designed specifically to do the job they're used for, and virtually useless in anything other than another identical piece of equipment (which would be long-obsolete by the time anything's getting recycled).

Secondly, components are placed on circuit boards by machines which need components in new condition, with un-deformed leads clean of solder and flux residue, and loaded into magazines.

Thirdly, today's components are incredibly sensitive to damage from static electricity, unless they have been handled in a static controlled area they will be useless.

Fourthly, it's very difficult to remove a multilead surface mount device from a board without damaging it.

Lastly, any process to do this would be difficult to automate, and therefore totally uneconomic.

durhamjen Mon 16-Feb-15 00:00:40

"Today the electronic waste recycling business is in all areas of the developed world a large and rapidly consolidating business. People tend to forget that properly disposing of or reusing electronics can help prevent health problems, create jobs, and reduce greenhouse-gas emissions.[41] Part of this evolution has involved greater diversion of electronic waste from energy-intensive downcycling processes (e.g., conventional recycling), where equipment is reverted to a raw material form. This recycling is done by sorting, dismantling, and recovery of valuable materials.[42] This diversion is achieved through reuse and refurbishing. The environmental and social benefits of reuse include diminished demand for new products and virgin raw materials (with their own environmental issues); larger quantities of pure water and electricity for associated manufacturing; less packaging per unit; availability of technology to wider swaths of society due to greater affordability of products; and diminished use of landfills.

Audiovisual components, televisions, VCRs, stereo equipment, mobile phones, other handheld devices, and computer components contain valuable elements and substances suitable for reclamation, including lead, copper, and gold.

One of the major challenges is recycling the printed circuit boards from the electronic wastes. The circuit boards contain such precious metals as gold, silver, platinum, etc. and such base metals as copper, iron, aluminum, etc. One way e-waste is processed is by melting circuit boards, burning cable sheathing to recover copper wire and open- pit acid leaching for separating metals of value.[43] Conventional method employed is mechanical shredding and separation but the recycling efficiency is low. Alternative methods such as cryogenic decomposition have been studied for printed circuit board recycling,[44] and some other methods are still under investigation."

You'd rather it was all put in landfill, would you, crun?

durhamjen Mon 16-Feb-15 00:03:36

www.weeeregistration.com/index.html

The weee directive and what manufacturers and users should do.