Gransnet forums

AIBU

To stop the traffic at the station this morning ?

(92 Posts)
GrannyTwice Wed 18-Mar-15 08:15:21

I clearly live in a very disadvantaged part of the country (Surrey ) since you ask. The adult literacy rates of the rail station users is appalling. A great many of them cannot read and understand 'this parking space for the use of blue badge holders only'. They appear to misread it as 'a very useful space if you want to wait to pick someone up, pop in to buy your rail ticket or get train information'. When I arrived at the station this morning all bb spaces were occupied and only one had a bb. So I parked my car in the middle of the road blocking the exit from the station, went into the ticket hall and asked very loudly whose cars were parked outside in the bb spaces without a badge. Meanwhile taxi drivers etc were tooting their horns ( they are one of the serial offenders). After a while an embarrassed looking man went to move one of the cars. I offered him literacy lessons but did point out that if he couldn't read, maybe he shouldn't be driving and that he certainly should be able to understand symbols. Apologies to those of you who perceive this as a 'poor me' post - I nearly felt sorry for the --uneducated selfish git--poor bloke. I will now await a wealth of posts about misuse of blue badges. Direct action is very empowering I have to say.

Galen Fri 27-Mar-15 13:02:37

Woman on radio this am, saying she ought to have a blue badge as she only has one arm and finds it difficult with her two children!

Elegran Fri 27-Mar-15 12:39:45

And anyone trying to park in a disabled bay has a problem which is NOT HIDDEN, so those who frustrate them are more culpable than the disabled driver is for just possibly impeding someone with a HIDDEN problem (but not preventing them from catching the train that the disabled driver did not have access to if they couldn't park).

Wheniwasyourage Fri 27-Mar-15 12:11:15

Just noticed this thread and wanted to add my congratulations, GrannyTwice on your direct action. Obviously you were not stopping others getting to their trains if you were blocking the exit! Anyway, as has been said, anyone with a vital reason for catching a particular train had the choice of being there in good time (and if not, you couldn't be expected to know it) as you must have been yourself. I'm getting fed up with those who moan about anything on the grounds that somebody might have a hidden problem which we should be clairvoyant enough to understand. Of course we must be considerate of others, but trying to second guess everything means that nothing ever gets done.

Good luck, and let us know what happens! flowers

GrannyTwice Fri 27-Mar-15 08:28:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

petallus Thu 19-Mar-15 20:27:59

There's quite a bit of it about!

rosequartz Thu 19-Mar-15 19:16:16

More and more people seem to have no social conscience.

I am full of admiration for you, GT and I wish you luck in your campaign.

Quite often you see drivers in Disabled parking spaces who leave the badge holder in the car when they go into a shop or such and that is a misuse of the terms of holding a BB

I can't remember who posted the above (and I may lose my typing if I go to have a look further back), but that is a problem where I live.
People with blue badges park on double yellow lines and make it difficult for residents to get up our road which is near a school. They sit in the car whilst able-bodied daughter/s nip over to school to fetch able-bodied grandchildren. If anyone asks them to park more considerately the offender/s smirk and tap the blue badge.
The police know but do nothing.

An acquaintance told me airily that she uses her mother's blue badge if she wants to nip somewhere where parking is difficult.

amarmai Thu 19-Mar-15 16:31:33

Yes , Elegran, I may be underestimating .

amarmai Thu 19-Mar-15 16:00:57

it's the majority being too polite to cause a scene that the rulebreakers are relying on.

whitewave Thu 19-Mar-15 14:06:23

I thought I read somewhere that there was going to be a £1000 fine levied? My mother has a blue badge which she uses when I drive her. Trying to find an empty space though it is horrendous, and as she is very dodgy on her pins or if we take the wheel chair it isn't easy just dropping her off near where we intend to go. I then have to tear around trying to find somewhere to park and then run to my tottery or wheelchair Mother. I end up feeling like a damp rag?, and then of course Mum, is twittering on about being such a burden etc etc Grrrrr!

What really makes me furious is my sister who uses the badge because she is so busy!!!! I don't say anything so as not to cause a scene but honestly.

Katek Thu 19-Mar-15 14:02:00

Go GT!! Well done on the direct action, here's hoping you get a result from the publicity in the local paper. I used to have cards pretty much like the ones Felice has which said " You have my parking space-would you also like my disability? " DH has had a few unpleasant encounters over his bb as he looks perfectly fit and healthy, but what doesn't show is his PVD which restricts his walking distance quite dramatically. Fortunately, DH has no problem in giving as good as he gets.

Has anyone seen the Michael McIntyre sketch about what people expect to see when a driver with a bb opens the car door?

felice Thu 19-Mar-15 13:35:49

Good for you, I have a blue badge here and also have little cards a friend made for me and his Mother, they say in 4 languages, 'you can take my parking space if you take my disability and pain too'.
I just pop one under the windscreen wipers of offenders.

I do not have a car and rely on friends to take me places so it really annoys me.

Elegran Thu 19-Mar-15 13:30:33

So if 200 people use the car park, amarmai, 1% of them is 2 people parking in BB spaces - plus the copycats so double it and call it 4 people. If there are four BB spaces, that will be them all filled by non-BB holders. Your % is just a guess, so it could be more. Those 4+ anti-social parkers are causing 4+ people to have pain and difficulty in walking where the 4+ would have no problem at all.

Anya Thu 19-Mar-15 13:29:58

Can't wait for tomorrow's instalment. Have you alerted your local TV station...you could come armed with a film crew!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 19-Mar-15 12:59:46

are you having a little conversation of your own here amarmai? confused

Nelliemoser Thu 19-Mar-15 12:59:24

Jings Planet "its time to get off this B computer and get ready to go out for 2pm." Keep happy.

amarmai Thu 19-Mar-15 12:49:46

forgot about the copycats-so 1%+

MamaCaz Thu 19-Mar-15 12:43:41

Good for you, GrannyT.
I've often imagined taking that kind of action (though not for BB, because DH and I are so far fortunate enough not to need one), but would never have the nerve.

The way you did it would make everyone present that day think twice before committing that particular offence, which has to be a good thing.

People need to see action being taken, otherwise more and more people start to think, "well if they can do it, why shouldn't I?"

nightowl Thu 19-Mar-15 11:15:42

I think I live in a different world confused

Faye Thu 19-Mar-15 11:10:25

GT I think you have guts.....I like that! smile

GrannyTwice Thu 19-Mar-15 10:56:31

If you'd read the OP properly you'd see I blocked the EXIT- not arrival. anyone blocked was not using the station forecourt properly - the proper dropping off point was not impacted neither was entrance to the car park

Soutra Thu 19-Mar-15 10:27:29

Let's not "overthink" the myriad possible consequences, nightowl! What about the consequences to a disabled driver not able to get to wherever all because of other people's selfishness? They could benefit from occasionally thinking "There but for the grace of God. . . . "

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 19-Mar-15 10:15:31

Btw Nelliemoser. Planet jingl. Nice here. smile

You?

Nelliemoser Thu 19-Mar-15 10:11:58

Tiggypiro took the words out of my mouth. Most of us manage to get places early enough when getting to the airport for our holiday flights.

GrannyTwice is one of those who also risks "serious consequences" of missing engagements.
However for anyone with mobility issues the alternatives needed when you are "running late", of running for the train, parking further away from the station car park entrance and walking some extra yards are not an option.
Which is why her direct action is needed.

GrannyTwice I hope emailing the right people gets some results.

petallus Thu 19-Mar-15 10:05:10

Yes, but there's ways and ways!

I like to think I would have found the courage to go into the station and protest but not in such an enraged manner. If I could have parked somewhere which did not block all traffic I would have done so, perhaps behind the cars 'illegally' parked in the BB spaces.

I wouldn't have had such a go at the man who finally owned up. I assume there were others around who were parked in the BB spaces who kept their heads down. He could have done the same.

Sometimes we have to tone it down a bit, even when our anger is justified. Think of road rage.

tiggypiro Thu 19-Mar-15 09:29:24

Most of your scenarios nightowl would be solved by people leaving themselves a little more time for the journey and nor should we allow those who are inconsiderate to assume they can do what they like. Full marks to GrannyTwice for not being one of the silent majority.