Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think the owner of the pub should be charged with conspiracy to commit fraud?

(15 Posts)
GrannyTwice Fri 20-Mar-15 20:11:30

Just that really - in what world is it ok to write out false invoices to help someone claim money they are not entitled to? And he's acting all high moral ground about it being public money shock confused

Charleygirl Fri 20-Mar-15 20:20:59

I do not pay taxes for people to have a free lunch at my expense

Riverwalk Fri 20-Mar-15 20:22:01

As the conversation was recorded, presumably by the publican, maybe he was genuinely trying to expose UKIP's fraudulent ways?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 20-Mar-15 20:43:35

I thought that Grannytwice. Must be illegal.

Mishap Fri 20-Mar-15 20:47:47

I know where you are coming from Grannytwice - I heard that interview twice and thought exactly the same thing. The restaurant owner declared himself entirely happy to write a fraudulent bill for a "sponsor" but not for the EU (because it is "our" money - as indeed it is). Writing an inflated bill is fraud whoever is footing the bill!

Ana Fri 20-Mar-15 21:02:29

I have no idea what this is about. I haven't watched the news tonight.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 20-Mar-15 21:08:54

this Ana

Ana Fri 20-Mar-15 21:15:15

Thank you, jingl.

feetlebaum Fri 20-Mar-15 21:25:01

Is the ukip hitting the fan?

JessM Fri 20-Mar-15 21:51:11

Yes if the restaurant owner has colluded deserves to get into trouble.
Another one in a long line of UKIP embarrassments.
In fact they have had a bad day. To lose one parliamentary candidate this close to the election may be regarded as a misfortune, to lose THREE in on day looks like carelessness.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31983197

Nelliemoser Sat 21-Mar-15 00:10:59

Yes I do! I was, to put it mildly, gobsmacked when I heard him interviewed at lunch time, about the request from the UKIP MEP and actually saying that he had agreed to falsify a reciept but then realised the money was coming fom EU funds. What a PL***

Anne58 Sat 21-Mar-15 00:21:40

For those that voted UKIP in any of the local elections, if I may be permitted to mis-use/mis-quote (and of course get it grammatically wrong) a phrase:plus ça change plus c'est la même chose!

absent Sat 21-Mar-15 05:02:29

Not just grammatically right phoenix but complete with circumflex. Magnifique et formidable!

If providing false receipts for expenses, insurance or tax claims isn't illegal, it certainly should be.

whitewave Sat 21-Mar-15 10:13:47

It certainly is for tax purposes. Mind you if he inflated the bill he would have had to pay the extra VAT even though he presumably didn't get the extra income - dodgy all around it seems to me.

felice Sat 21-Mar-15 11:42:01

I ran a cafe/bar here for a while, and was often asked for an inflated VAT reciept for expenses, or tax returns, my awnser was always no. Some people were fine about it others quite abusive, some came back, some did not.
Spot checks are common here for the VAT, licences and taxes.
I would be the one in trouble if the VAT reciepts did not add up.
Makes me wonder about the Pub manager and his business.