Gransnet forums


Carers Allowance - Do not qualify

(18 Posts)
GreatauntieLinda Wed 01-Apr-15 18:30:35

Am I being unreasonable to fail to understand why it is that just because I receive a meager state pension I do not qualify for a carers allowance.

I love my DH who is 12 years older than me. The district nurse comes in three times a week to tend to him. In the meanwhile I care for him and do everything for him 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

The government appear to think that my state pension is sufficient payment for this care.

I feel quite annoyed about this.

Mishap Wed 01-Apr-15 18:34:00

I can understand that. I think the problem is that the allowance was initially conceived as a means of recompensing people who had to leave work or reduce their hours in order to be a carer. Us retired ones don't get a look in.

Juliette Wed 01-Apr-15 18:54:11

I thought carers allowance was paid to the person being cared for, not the carer, to access any extra services.
When my auntie went into a nursing home the carers allowance went with her and was deducted from the fees..
This was roughly 10 years ago and wasn't means tested as far as I can remember.
If the system has changed or I have got it wrong then it seems very unfair.
I think it was Age Concern that were very helpful when we filled the application form in. Perhaps you could contact them GreatauntLinda for some advice.

annsixty Wed 01-Apr-15 18:58:59

That is Attendance Allowance Juliette.

Iam64 Wed 01-Apr-15 19:08:16

Maybe that's the way to go great-auntielinda - an application for carers allowance. Juliette's other suggestion that you contact Age Concern is also helpful. Good luck

annodomini Wed 01-Apr-15 19:10:45

Like the pension, CA is an earnings replacement payment and is not usually paid to anyone receiving a pension. However, there are some exceptions. You will find the details here, but to find out what else you and your husband could be entitled to claim - for example, Attendance Allowance - you should contact AgeUK or the CAB.

FlicketyB Wed 01-Apr-15 19:19:23

GreatauntieLinda Care Allowance is complicated. Retired people do not qualify for the cash payment because it is there, essentially, to compensate those, who could work but cannot because of their care responsibilities. As you are not earning and already have a payment from the state, you cannot have both. That is an explanation -not- a defence.

However, if you qualify for a Carers Allowance, in that you meet the caring qualifications for CA, but cannot receive the money because you are in receipt of a pension, there is still a way you can benefit from it.

Those receiving a state pension who qualify on care grounds for CA can claim a supplement to their Pension Credit, or possibly, if your income is currently just above Pension Credit, even qualify for Pension Credit, with all its benefits.

So I suggest you speak to your local branch of Age UK or local Citizen's Advice Bureau to find out whether you qualify or not.

Here is a reference to the Age UK Fact Sheet on Carers Allowance. Go down to page 9 and you will get the information you require there.'s_Allowance_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

Juliette Wed 01-Apr-15 19:38:27

Sorry everybody......long day.

GreatauntieLinda Wed 01-Apr-15 22:46:44

Many thanks everyone for your comments. I get the feeling that I am simply expected to look after my dear husband without recompense. I shall contact Age UK tomorrow for their detailed advice.

GreatauntieLinda Wed 01-Apr-15 22:48:48

Flickety B - that fact sheet was excellent, thank you.

Galen Wed 01-Apr-15 23:09:42

Has he got AA?

GreatauntieLinda Thu 02-Apr-15 00:11:10

Hi Galen - he has DLA and therefore does not qualify for AA.

durhamjen Thu 02-Apr-15 00:17:23

I like the way they have changed the care system, again on April 1st, just like when they brought in the Health and Social care act two years ago.

GreatauntieLinda Thu 02-Apr-15 00:18:29

Its not a case of what DH gets. Its the fact that I am made to feel used. I love my DH but am his nurse, dresser, feeder, driver, housekeeper, do everything. I am made to feel that "well you are married to the man so get on with it". If I was someone under the age of, is it 60 these days?, and coming in from across the street to look after him they could claim the CA.

How much would it cost the government if he was on his own and had to go into a home? With no assets it would cost them the earth.

Better step back because I am getting worked up again.

GreatauntieLinda Thu 02-Apr-15 00:19:15

Not sure what you mean durhamjen.

FlicketyB Thu 02-Apr-15 08:16:02

Is their a Carers Centre in your area? They can give a lot of help and support, including that so important, appreciation and understanding of your situation.

GreatauntieLinda Thu 02-Apr-15 09:04:48

Thanks for that FlickertyB - don't know at the moment will look into it.

alicesmith009 Fri 15-Apr-16 14:17:36

The eligibility criteria for getting Carer’s allowance are as follow:

1. Your age must be 16 or above.
2. You should be able to spend 35 hours a week caring for someone.
3. You should not pursue full time education.
4. Your income should not be more than £110 a week

If you fulfill the criteria, then you are eligible for getting Carer allowance.

For more information, you can contact to Carers Allowance customer service number at 0345 608 4321.