Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to want my holiday to last longer/forever

(56 Posts)
vampirequeen Sun 12-Apr-15 19:17:20

Well of course the answer is no. We've come back today after our second short break in just over a week.

Easter weekend we went camping in the middle of nowhere in Lincolnshire. Was idyllic. Peace, quiet and solitude. Anxiety levels plummeted. I love the middle of nowhere.

Second break was four days in Northumbria with the children. B and B in the middle of nowhere...spot the theme lol. But this time lots of sightseeing so much more stressful for me.

We had to come home today even though we all wanted to stay and see more. Northumbria is beautiful.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 12-Apr-15 23:13:02

I love city breaks, and I love English country hols. Just nice not to have to do the housework. And be somewhere different.

Grandma2213 Mon 13-Apr-15 00:10:07

Yes Northumberland is great. My Dad was from there. However I have just been watching Robson Green's series on Northumberland and there are places I have never even heard of before! I would love to visit some of those.

Katek Mon 13-Apr-15 10:08:32

Come to Scotland VQ, scenery in abundance, mountains, middles of nowhere all over the North and reasonably priced housing. Driving licence and midge repellent necessary!

KatyK Mon 13-Apr-15 10:42:55

How lovely vq. We are going to Northumbria in June. We've never been before and I have some brilliant ides from Gransnetters about where to visit. can't wait smile

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Apr-15 10:45:49

I would so love to be back in Rome this morning, with the pastry shop blue sky and sunshine.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Apr-15 10:47:59

Northumbria is very blowy. And cold. Great if you like bare windswept beaches. And Hadrians Wall. I can now do without both.

Rowantree Mon 13-Apr-15 11:01:32

I like windswept; I like the UK for holidays. But I wouldn't want to live in the middle of nowhere. As we get older, I like to know there are amenities, shops and public transport within easy reach. And people. However boring Suburbia is (and it can certainly be), where we live is near to everything we need,within relatively easy reach of the beautiful Kent countryside and also London with its museums, theatres and galleries.
I enjoy being on holiday in the Dales or Northumbria, as well as many of the other lovely areas in the country. I know it's corny but I do like the Cotswolds, Derbyshire, the West Country....and a couple of years ago we went to Orkney and Shetland for a couple of weeks. I think I prefer having shorter breaks, on the whole. DH enjoys train holidays through Italy and wall-to-wall sightseeing, but I find them rather exhausting after a while and long to sit in a cafe and people-watch or read.
Later in the year, we're considering training it through Eastern Germany (Berlin, Dresden) and then Krakow, later in the year, if I am up to it (I tend to get very anxious going abroad, but I don't want that to stop me going). I wish I had the energy that some of you have! hmm

sunseeker Mon 13-Apr-15 11:44:17

I love my holidays, always have, but I am never sorry to come home - whether the holiday has been for a few days or longer. I love my home and lets face it if we were on holiday all the time, we wouldn't enjoy it so much!

durhamjen Mon 13-Apr-15 16:58:34

Vampire's not 60 yet, Rowantree. She can manage a few years in the middle of nowhere in Northumberland.

Mishap Mon 13-Apr-15 17:41:33

The nice thing about the middle of nowhere is that the communities are smaller and present less of a threat to someone who is agoraphobic or nervous about getting out and meeting people. Most of the clubs and societies round here have about 10 people or less in them - some of them the same people of course! - and they are very welcoming.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Apr-15 18:08:55

I think small communities are claustrophobic. Give me a big city any time.

The middle of nowhere can be depressing.

Mishap Mon 13-Apr-15 18:44:28

But vq finds it restful and it helps with her anxiety. Horses for courses and all that.

Rowantree Mon 13-Apr-15 19:04:07

Definitely horses for courses! My dream'd be to live in a lovely historic country town with plenty of culture, lovely buildings, theatre, societies to join and so on, but surrounded by beautiful countryside and near plenty of historic houses. And lovely gardens to visit. And pubs with good food. Oh, but not too far from my family and friends.

Can't be done, so I settle for where I am at the moment ;) and visit these places on holiday!

Not sure I'd like a village atmosphere. Sounds idyllic but you might find it a bit claustrophobic, everyone knowing your business and all....and activities can often be focused round the local church, which is fine if you're a Christian but not so great if you're a half-Jewish Pagan atheist....

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 13-Apr-15 19:10:49

grin

(at the last few words!)

Mishap Mon 13-Apr-15 19:11:01

I have never found it claustrophobic - yes, people do know your business, but the end result of that is that people are there for you come rain or shine. Pies and cakes and flowers arrived on my doorstep when I was ill, and I so appreciated it.

I am renowned for being late with all the "gossip"! - it is a standing joke.

soontobe Mon 13-Apr-15 19:46:41

Same as Mishap.
Main issue against for me, is that literally every club that is started, just doesnt have enough people. Not their fault. And cant fault anyones' enthusiasm. It is a pure numbers game.

vampirequeen Mon 13-Apr-15 20:43:47

Is it a case of everyone knowing your business or just that they're more community orientated than city people?

DH volunteers at the community centre and is constantly being asked why he does it. He does it because he thinks community and helping others is important. Would he be asked to justify himself in a village or hamlet?

durhamjen Mon 13-Apr-15 20:51:57

Sounds like you might be in need of another holiday, vampire.

Three churches in my village, Rowan. I'm with you on the pagan atheist. Have to keep stopping my grandson saying, "But we don't believe in God, do we, Granny?" at inopportune moments.

petra Mon 13-Apr-15 21:04:33

Soutra. I once had to collect someone from a hospital in Norfolk and bring them to Southend. NFN was on their notes. I had to ask what it meant.

Mishap Mon 13-Apr-15 21:16:21

We have to be community oriented, especially in the winter as we look out for each other; and the transport is poor so we help each other in that way too - especially the older members of the community.

My OH has PD and I know that I can turn to any number of people if there are problems. His heart went haywire once when I was at work, and I was able to ring a neighbour who knew where the key is and he went and sat with my OH till the ambulance came.

All of that means a lot to us.

Ana Mon 13-Apr-15 21:28:38

I think NFN is offensive. It shouldn't be on anyone's hospital notes.

vampirequeen Mon 13-Apr-15 21:34:07

I've tried and tried to work it out. What does NFN mean?

Ana Mon 13-Apr-15 21:35:06

Normal for Norfolk.

trisher Mon 13-Apr-15 21:45:02

I love holidays, don't mind where. Had some lovely self catering hols in Yorkshire-4 generations of my family together. BUT Please will people keep quiet about Northumberland, we have kept the secret for years and now everyone is telling! I blame that Robson Green.

vampirequeen Tue 14-Apr-15 06:56:56

Ooops I've given away the secret grin