Gransnet forums

AIBU

Not to want to be blessed all the time

(131 Posts)
rosesarered Wed 22-Apr-15 21:50:15

Today, My friendly manicurist said "aww, bless"at me several times as we were chatting.Later, a shop assistant also said the same thing because I thanked her for helping me pack. I must be looking old or something.I feel bemused more than anything though, is this the latest thing that twenty-something's say to customers?

harrigran Fri 01-May-15 18:51:05

Sitting in the bank today I overheard a personal banker say BLESS to an elderly lady 6 times in two minutes. My toes were curling in my shoes.

thatbags Sun 26-Apr-15 06:42:33

One of my old Oxford friends calls it my Scottish eyrie.

thatbags Sun 26-Apr-15 06:40:43

Where and how I live couldn't be further from Kensington if it tried! I'm not talking about physical distance, though that is quite a large number of miles too.

rosesarered Sat 25-Apr-15 23:50:16

It may have something to do with where you live Bags...... Kensington?

thatbags Sat 25-Apr-15 15:11:21

Have to admit, I have never been subjected to an Aw Bless (Awbless).

rosesarered Sat 25-Apr-15 15:09:47

I think we can consider ourselves well and truly blessed.grin

Ana Sat 25-Apr-15 15:07:05

Thank you, thagbags - 'bless you' is most welcome, 'aww bless...' not at all! grin

thatbags Sat 25-Apr-15 15:04:31

Bless you both, jings & ana, bemused fits better than irritated I think.

rosesarered Sat 25-Apr-15 14:41:33

Jingl grin

rosesarered Sat 25-Apr-15 14:40:16

That's lovely Merlotgran, I was expecting it to be sung in Gaelic I don't know why, isn't the Internet great, you can find anything.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Apr-15 14:39:48

I hope we don't have to wait through that lot at Waitrose checkouts.

rosesarered Sat 25-Apr-15 14:36:17

Yes parcs that's what I thought too,the chances of it happening twice in one day when previous to that I had never heard it said, but that's what coincidence is I suppose, either that, or I was looking very old that day and tired out.grin

merlotgran Sat 25-Apr-15 14:25:50

Irish Blessing

Here's a beautiful version.

Parcs Sat 25-Apr-15 14:24:36

It does tend to be said to the old and babies, but a bit strange that it happened to you twice in one day.

Gracesgran Sat 25-Apr-15 14:23:52

Ana Sat 25-Apr-15 12:51:05 grin

Stansgran Sat 25-Apr-15 14:22:15

Handy=hanky.

Stansgran Sat 25-Apr-15 14:21:25

There was a chaplain at the cathedral who scattered blessings around like confetti. Fine in the cathedral but somehow disconcerting in our rather small M&S . I always say bless you when someone sneezes mainly so I don't say please use a handy or acidly point out how far a sneeze travels. It keeps me polite.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Apr-15 14:15:46

I hate to tell you this Bags, but your post sounds quite irritated! In an indirect sort of way. grin

rosesarered Sat 25-Apr-15 14:11:10

The Celtic blessing is lovely, I had forgotten that one, re-training for Waitrose( and all other) staff to say that one at the tills to us, what do you think?It could make our day.smile

rosesarered Sat 25-Apr-15 14:02:01

Elegran, a good post.Gracesgran, I can see the compulsive 'blesser' saying it in any situation.as others have said, it's acceptable( though only just) to say it about a sweet little pet or young child, but that's all.I can't imagine anyone saying it when somebody drops a bag or anything else.However, if this saying continues in it's present unstoppable form, we may be hearing it from all, the high and the low; On May 8th for example ( or 2 weeks later who knows) a pundit from outside number 10..... " and here he is, our new Prime Minister....(insert any name here you wish) looking confident and relaxed,
Awww, bless!" wink

Ana Sat 25-Apr-15 13:10:05

Some of my expressions seem to be irritating you of late, thabags - at least to the extent that you feel the need to comment on them. I'm glad you're so laid back generally though.

smile

thatbags Sat 25-Apr-15 12:58:21

wink

thatbags Sat 25-Apr-15 12:57:58

"Irritated beyond belief" by something so trivial. Gosh.

I don't think I've ever been irritated beyond belief in my entire life. I have often felt irritated, sometimes very irritated, never "beyond belief". I reckon that means I'm not a particularly irritable person.

Ana Sat 25-Apr-15 12:51:05

Actually, when I think about it Gracesgran, if someone said that to me if I'd dropped my bag I would be irritated beyond belief!

But if they helped me pick things up I'd be grateful as well so would just grit my teeth and thank them politely...smile

Gracesgran Sat 25-Apr-15 12:34:36

Good that the dropped bag didn't cause friction Ana smile I agree it was a bit odd but I can see the compulsive "bless" user saying it in that situation.

I think the Celtic/Irish Blessing is beautiful.