Gransnet forums

AIBU

Junk food warnings-"not for young children"

(227 Posts)
trisher Mon 04-May-15 09:57:12

I recently watched a woman open a packet of salt and vinegar Monster Munch and hand it to a child in a buggy who must have been 18 months to 2 years old, who was obviously used to this and started eating. Apart from the damage to her developing taste buds the amount of salt and fat she consumed must have been health threatening. When I buy toys some have a warniing "Not suitable for children under the age of 3". Why can't the same warning be put on junk foods and fizzy drinks? Children might then eat better as they grow up.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 08-May-15 20:01:38

I will leave you to it. Perhaps it's time I had a break from Gransnet.

Ana Fri 08-May-15 20:07:07

As I said somewhere way up the thread, granjura seems unable to rest until she's persuaded everyone that she is right and they (if they disagree with her) are wrong. That's not debating, it's browbeating.

thatbags Fri 08-May-15 20:27:20

Exactly. I'm not ashamed of having a problem with being brow-beaten. And, I've refrained from saying this so far, to be brow-beaten about healthy eating by someone who, by her own admission on this thread, is obese herself, takes the blimmin' biscuit!

absent Fri 08-May-15 20:57:52

Absent, yes, people have a choice. I agree. The point about jeans is really non-sense- jeand too tight might be uncomfortable, or unfashionable- but that won't kill you, will it?

What point about jeans? I have not mentioned jeans and have not been posting nonsense.

granjura Fri 08-May-15 21:00:39

Don't worry Absent has already said it, oh and you that I am Swiss, hence the problem. Oh the hypocrisy- the stereotypes and the judgemental intolerance ...

The comparison with the smoker, was to counter the argument that someone who is overweight and suffering from consequences, should not have the 'right' to comment on food. So the comparison was quite apt.

I left the thread for quite a long time- to give it time to cool down. If people ask questions about previous comments, and somehow responds accordingly- this is not brow beating at all- but just an attempt at answering the question or balancing/countering comments- as in all debates.

I have had a healthy weight all my life until my 50s, and I have always been very fit and active. Recently, some serious health problems and disability caused ba a severe car crash when I was young, has made it difficult for me to exercise and treatment has contributed to my weight gain- I am currently trying hard to cut on carbs and sugar- and not, I do not stuff my face with cake and biscuits. Judegemental nasty hypocrite.

thatbags Fri 08-May-15 21:03:10

Taste of own medicine is all, jura.

granjura Fri 08-May-15 21:10:41

And could you. pray tell- say your prejudices are any better than mine. How judgemental is that- and hypocrite (again). Have I made personal attacks? Of course not. Have I accused you personally, of anything- would I mock you for your race or nationality. No, I wouldn't dream of it.

But it is fine if you do?!? How fair is that, come on moon pull the other one. Thank you.

Galen Fri 08-May-15 21:12:23

GJ
I'm with Bags

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 08-May-15 21:16:39

Oh no ganging up! hmm

granjura flowers

Don't take this stuff too seriously. wink

granjura Fri 08-May-15 21:24:42

Someone recently mentioned 'cliques' and this thread has perhaps highlighted how real that is here (and never mind goes goes on behind the scenes by pm!!!).

Ganging up indeed, and not for the first time. Talking about pm's and e-mails for those who have mine- so many people have written to say they would love to support, but are just too scared as they do not want their head bitten off by those few. Very sad. Last post on the subject and will stick to it- whatever you throw at me. Attacking someone for where they happen to be born (I came to the UK aged 19, became British and worked all my life for the UK education system, raising my kids there- nearly 40 years... so how long does one have to do so before being told 'oh you are Swiss so no surprise there' - how racist is that.

And although I'd never ever make excuses for my extra weight- being attacked for my disability and health problems, is way, way below the belt too. You know that as well as I do. Over and out.

thatbags Fri 08-May-15 21:25:32

You've missed the point, jura. My argument throughout this thread has been not to judge the woman and child mentioned in the OP on the very slight information given. Your comments have repeatedly been judgmental about kids eating Monster Munch type snacks and the need for 'guidance'. I finally lost patience and threw some back at you. I'm not being hypocritical, just bloody irritated by the constant lecturing.

janeainsworth Fri 08-May-15 21:28:07

There is no 'gang', GJ.
There are just several people you happen to disagree with hmm

absent Fri 08-May-15 21:29:39

granjura I have never suggested that being Swiss or any other nationality is a problem of any sort, let alone the reason someone – anyone – might be overweight. I did once lightheartedly remark that a comment you had made seemed classically Swiss and other posters jumped in suggesting that describing you as typically Swiss was an insult. Bizarre – I couldn't follow their logic. I did point out earlier in this thread that it seemed a bit self-righteous for those who have admitted to being overweight to bang on about healthy eating for others. That is simply my opinion and I wasn't referring to you or any other poster specifically. Why would I waste my time looking for reasons to attack you on such spurious grounds?

I still cannot recall posting anything about jeans.

Ana Fri 08-May-15 21:36:09

Quite. I don't know where the idea of 'ganging up' has come from, granjura. I only commented because your constant hectoring was dominating this thread and not allowing others the space to introduce their views.

You surely can't be suggesting that I am in a clique with anyone else on this site? That's certainly laughable!

absent Fri 08-May-15 21:40:58

grin You and me Ana? I don't think so.

janeainsworth Fri 08-May-15 21:47:22

I wouldn't want to be in a gang that had me in it grin
No one better reply to that! grin

Ana Fri 08-May-15 21:53:09

Exactly, absent. Perish the thought!

rosequartz Fri 08-May-15 22:17:24

I posted the link about 'That Sugar Film' which is, I think, about hidden sugars in apparently 'healthy' food.
I haven't seen it yet but will be doing so in about a month. It is supposed to change the viewer's idea of what is healthy food.

I will keep an open mind. I think what it may prove is that when it comes to what constitutes a healthy diet you just can't win.

#notinagang

Elegran Fri 08-May-15 22:30:57

Sometimes people gang together for defence, not attack.

Ana Fri 08-May-15 22:32:36

Not in this case though, Elegran. Although I take your point.

rosequartz Fri 08-May-15 22:33:17

DH always says the best form of defence is attack.
I don't argue with him grin

rosequartz Fri 08-May-15 22:35:44

Not referring to anything on this thread!
It was just a comment. smile

janeainsworth Fri 08-May-15 22:57:29

Roseq I did look at your link the other day and thought it sounded crazy.

"Australian director Damon Gameua was a fit man before he took on a task many probably thought would have increased his health and wellbeing.
Instead, he received an unsettling warning from his GP, experienced dire mood swings and weight gain after taking on the low-fat, high-sugar health food diet for 60 days.
“I had no soft drink, chocolate, ice cream or confectionery,” Gameau told Yahoo of his project That Sugar Film – a sort of reverse documentary version of Morgan Spurlock’s famed Super Size Me, in which he eats nothing but MacDonald’s.
“All the sugars that I was eating were found in perceived healthy foods, so low-fat yogurts, and muesli bars, and cereals, and fruit juices, sports drinks... These kind of things that often parents would give their kids thinking they’re doing the right thing."
Except within just three weeks, Gameau’s doctor told him he had already begun to develop fatty liver disease – the most severe of outcomes of which is liver failure. The physician also branded his level of mental functioning “unstable”.
According to News.com.au, Gameau consumed 40 teaspoons of sugar a day on average – slightly more of that of the average teenager worldwide.
The World Health Organization (WHO) indicates that a healthy adult should aim to include no more than 25grams of sugar a day, or six teaspoons.
Far from the giant Big Mac burger of Spurlock’s final meal, Gameau’s last dish of the project was more akin to that of a child’s school lunchbox – a jam sandwich, fruit juice, a biscuit bar and a handful of snacks.
“The last meal was for all the people out there, especially parents, who are led to believe they are doing the right and healthy thing for their children,” he said.
“They are making an effort yet are horribly let down by the lack of integrity in marketing and packaging strategies.”
However, he went on to explain that findings of his experiment didn’t suggest we needed to cut sugar completely from our diets, but rather be more aware of where it has been added.
“Sugar’s now in 80 per cent of the processed food we’re eating,” he said. “If we can remove that, that’s the first step towards making a change.”

He's a bit slow on the uptake isn't he? Did he really think that eating 40 teaspoons of sugar a day, ie 200grams, nearly 10 times the recommended level, was going to do him any good?
He could have calculated the amount of sugar he was consuming simply by reading the labels!
I don't think this film shows anything of value except how stupid and self-absorbed some film directors can be!
And seriously, because the amounts of sugar he consumed were so excessive, it doesn't tell us anything about the effect of moderate consumption.
I'd save your money if I were you and go and see something more interesting smile

rosequartz Fri 08-May-15 23:28:42

Ah well, someone else has bought my ticket for me!
It does look thrilling, doesn't it
Perhaps I will take a big bag of sweets, popcorn etc and munch my way through it.

So - if he ate slightly more sugar than the average teenager 'worldwide' and after 3 weeks started developing fatty liver does that mean that the average teenager worldwide has a fatty liver already and mental instability? confused

I will take it with a big pinch of salt.

janeainsworth Sat 09-May-15 00:25:46

At least a big pinch of salt isn't as bad for you as a spoonful of sugar wink