Gransnet forums

AIBU

to feel it is time to let the election threads die off

(36 Posts)
mollie65 Sat 16-May-15 07:42:13

was hopeful when I saw they had disappeared off active during the spamming
only for them to reappear this morning shock
enough and more than enough
it is time to give the constant posting on the same subject by some members a rest - the threads are getting personal and in my case I was quite offended by a sarcastic remark that was completely uncalled for.
I enjoy debate and different opinions but these threads have gone on far too long - even mumsnet AIBU have moved on to other topics. grin

annodomini Sun 17-May-15 14:32:47

A thread about threads? Isn't that against the rules? confused

GrannyTwice Sun 17-May-15 13:58:21

I don't think Mollie was clear about what she meant by an 'election thread'. Discussions about the EU and HRA, NF, etc resulted from the election but took the discussion on.

Anniebach Sun 17-May-15 13:42:59

If one finds a thread boring or irritating surely one ignores it and respects the fact that if a thread is active it's because those who post on the boring or irritating thread do not find it boring or irritating

durhamjen Sun 17-May-15 13:19:21

Only women, petra?

durhamjen Sat 16-May-15 23:16:00

Anti austerity march in London next month in case anyone's missed the link.

www.thepeoplesassembly.org.uk/end_austerity_now_national_demonstration_saturday_20th_june?e=4f295de050c123204df7f4a5c79d8428&utm_source=thepeoplesassembly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=resonstodemo&n=2

petra Sat 16-May-15 20:00:02

No no no, FarNorth. I think these threads have shown that there are still women (of a certain age :-) ) out there who's brains are still working.
And I have to say that the most interesting and insightful have been of a different political party to me.

Ana Sat 16-May-15 19:49:14

As though that's going to happen, FarNorth! grin

FarNorth Sat 16-May-15 19:48:29

Just that it should cower quietly in a corner, maybe?

Ana Sat 16-May-15 19:05:32

And yet quite a few members were complaining about the post-election bile being posted on certain threads, including you, Ariadne if I remember rightly.

I don't think mollie meant that the whole 'politics' forum should die off!

Ariadne Sat 16-May-15 18:53:34

And me, petra! It is stimulating to read so many opinions and ideas, and to learn as I go. It's our future, and that of our children and grandchildren that are at stake. Healthy debate is good, and if it gets a bit nasty, well, look at what's happening with the political groups today - especially those who didn't win.

If you don't like it, don't read it. Simple. There's always steam cleaners, or bras to discuss. Both of which I have enjoyed too, BTW!

petra Sat 16-May-15 17:15:11

I second that Margaret.

whitewave Sat 16-May-15 17:14:46

Anyway what happened to freedom of speech?

MargaretX Sat 16-May-15 17:11:33

Its not even 2 weeks since the election. A lot of thinking people find politics interesting. A lot more interesting than most of GN.

durhamjen Sat 16-May-15 17:01:09

Wasn't Clegg an MEP before he became an MP?

If the politics threads left Gransnet, so would I, as that's what I am interested in.
I know which people would say good to that.

petra Sat 16-May-15 15:55:49

Soontobe. Can I come and live in your bubble? And not in the one that this (me) old cynic lives. I've taken an interest in politics all my adult life and the older I get the more I've come to the realisation that their all in it for their own benefit. Keep your eye on where Ed Milliband, Ed Balls and Nick Clegg go when the dust settles. My bet is at least one of them will go into part of the financial sector.

FarNorth Sat 16-May-15 11:39:06

If a post or thread goes against GN guidelines then report it, mollie65. If you find something boring then ignore it. How hard is that?

The election has put in place politicians who are going to affect our lives in the coming years. Why would you complain about people being interested?

soontobe Sat 16-May-15 11:36:53

The personal bits that may have been said to you - I havent been around much for the last day and a half.
Have you spoken to gransnet HQ?

soontobe Sat 16-May-15 11:35:15

I have been wondering why politics is still so interesting lately.
And have concluded it is because MPs are finally saying what they really think!!!

I used to switch off the tv amd switch off mentally when politics has been talked about in the last about 3 years, right up to about 2 months ago. Because politicians only said whatever they were trained to say.

But now they are not constrained[except possibly the conservatives], and are saying what they really think! And it is brilliant. Well to me anyway.

I do think that further down the line, some of what they are saying now will come back to haunt them. Particularly in Labour. And particularly what they are saying about the economy and Labour spending etc. But for now, I am watching more politics, than I have probably watched in a full year.

ninathenana Sat 16-May-15 10:51:05

They do seem to have finally died a natural death. Of course we should have a politics forum for those that wish to discuss the subject. I'm pretty sure I've never posted on that forum but I would defend to the hilt the rights of those that wish too.
However, I'm grateful that when I look at the active page it is no longer full of political based threads and that I can find a thread that I want to add too.

This being the exception to prove the rule grin

rosesarered Sat 16-May-15 10:40:54

Mollie, do what I do and vote with your feet, don't even bother with those threads. only the diehard few will go on with them.

rosequartz Sat 16-May-15 10:34:53

I suppose they will die off naturally when people get fed up with them and will change to threads about what is politically newsworthy at the time.

Any remarks which are against the guidelines are usually dealt with by GN; anything else would be censorship.

Elegran Sat 16-May-15 10:27:20

If I could do an "anti-bump" post that hid away a thread, I would put it on this one, not the election ones. I would rather they stayed under the political banner but you can't gag people. I have a feeling they will run together into fewer threads in a while anyway.

You complain about the many election threads while adding yet another! Not logical.

whitewave Sat 16-May-15 09:41:48

mollie you do sound very cross - are you about life in general or is it just on this forum?

Mumsnet do not have so much staying power as us older typesgrin

Tegan Sat 16-May-15 09:37:08

Perhaps, mollie you should directly ask HQ to remove the Politics section from the forum thereby making it a much more interesting place to be. Out of interest, can you tell me what subjects you DO want to discuss on here?

Mishap Sat 16-May-15 08:57:40

I guess those who are interested in politics will join those threads, and those who aren't, or are fed up with them, can leave them alone.

There are lots of political changes and decisions in the news, so people are bound to want to discuss these.

Threads die off when people cease to be interested in them; and that is an individual choice.