Gransnet forums

AIBU

Holiday Insurance

(6 Posts)
rosequartz Wed 27-May-15 21:37:57

YANBU. If you have not had an outpatient appointment, hospital stay or anymedication re this in the last 12 months they should not charge extra.

Eleanorre Wed 27-May-15 20:54:47

I have travel insurance through my Nationwide account we pay for different health problems but the breast cancer I had 10 years ago is not charged at all.

ginny Wed 27-May-15 17:11:43

When my medication was reduced my insurers tried to charge more. I told them I would insure with a different company and they suddenly found that it could stay the same.

AshTree Wed 27-May-15 10:40:48

Sorry! I meant you are not being unreasonable, the travel insurance company is!

AshTree Wed 27-May-15 10:40:17

Both you and the insurance company are being unreasonable! My DH is on medication for hypertension. A couple of years ago his GP reduced the dose. When he rang to renew his travel insurance that year one of the questions was "has your medication changed in the last 12 months?" He replied, with a laugh, "yes, it's been reduced!", hoping that this would result in a reduction in the premium. To his surprise, however, it resulted in an increase shock. It seems that any change in medication, up or down, is an excuse a reason to screw more money out of you increase the premium.

sunseeker Wed 27-May-15 10:27:37

I am going to visit family in Australia later this year and needed to arrange travel insurance. A friend recommended a local broker who after running through the usual questions gave me a reasonable quote. He then sent me a copy of the questions and answers so I could check them before taking out the insurance. One of the questions he asked was "are you receiving treatment for cancer" so I said no. When I received the questions to check the question was actually "have you ever been treated for cancer". I immediately contacted him and told him that I had breast cancer over 20 years ago but now was completely clear and have been told that I am now no more likely to get it that anyone else in the population. He checked with the insurance company who have added another £40 to the premium!

Who is being unreasonable here, me for being annoyed or the insurance company!