Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sodastream

(15 Posts)
Bay123 Wed 30-Sep-15 23:40:46

I just wanted to address the original question. Because all SodaStream machines are essentially the same, by this I mean they all fizz water to the exact same degree. The differences in prices are all down to exterior design and features.

For instance I have the newest top of the line model referred to as the SodaStream Power, see this review for in-depth details: www.slinkystudio.info/reviews/2015/9/15/sodastream-power-review

The reason I purchased this model is because it plugs into an electric output so it fizzes water to three different and most importantly exact levels by the press of a button. It's not cheap at £149, but looks lovely in white. Also the newer flavours within the UK are ridden from aspartame and many other bad ingredients. They taste lovely and I like a light fizz, which this machine does without me needing to guess or get it wrong.

I hope this is helpful.

Pamish Wed 01-Jul-15 17:36:46

I bought one last month. This is to stop me buying plastic bottles, and it works. I just wanted the fizz more than anything as that helps clear away the fuzz. Paid about £50 online, includes one CO2 cylinder, you can then exchange this for a refilled one at Argos, for £8, so no great distance for many people.

The flavour concentrate things are pretty vile, if the samples they included are typical, as they are all 'diet' ie taste of synthetics. Maybe the real juice ones are better. With all of them, you add the 'flavour' to the bottle after making the fizz. Nothing to stop you making your own. I find it improves the taste of tap water, I guess by slightly acidifying it as the CO2 dissolves to make carbonic acid.

I had tried before to use an old soda syphon as on a 1960s sideboard, with little individual metal gas cartons, but it leaked and sprayed water everywhere, so I was pleased to find it's all updated. The new device is a bit big, stands about 2 foot tall, because that's the size of the gas cylinder - but that makes it all last much longer. I dont know yet what the cost will work out to, but it saves dragging baskets full of green bottles back from tescos and then adding to the plastic mountain in the sea. (I have my doubts about the efficiency of recycling...)

I got this deal. - cheaper than Argos.

Teetime Thu 25-Jun-15 11:18:18

I had a friend (now sadly deceased) who used her sodastream for all mixers - we avoided drinks at her house!!! grin

grrrranny Thu 25-Jun-15 11:13:43

I saw an advert for a Sodastream that made 3 levels of sparkling water and as I like lots of bubbles (just seems more exciting) I looked it up an found it cost £149. Then the gas costs £9.99 and each gas thing only does 60 litres of water. I will have to stick to the 20p for 2 litres stuff and shake it up a bit.

sprite66 Thu 25-Jun-15 06:43:12

Thank you everyone for replies. I have a Dunelm Mill not too far away in Plymouth, so will check out prices and flavours. I get through quite a lot of fizzy water especially at night, so would be good to save on plastic bottles. Not to mention the tonic with evening gin!

janerowena Mon 22-Jun-15 23:14:32

I wouldn't get through that, I only want one drink in the night! I have a mid- night sparkling water addiction in the summer. The little bottles were the perfect size,

Thanks for the Dunelm mills info, we have one that isn't desperately far away. I shall do a reccy. smile We don't have an Asda though!

numberplease Mon 22-Jun-15 22:45:48

Asda do a very nice sparkling water, 17p for a 2 litre bottle, I wouldn`t go to the expense of a Sodastream, and there are plenty of cheap fizzy drinks as well.

tanith Mon 22-Jun-15 21:14:13

They also stock the gas cylinders..

tanith Mon 22-Jun-15 21:13:47

Dunelm Mill stock the machines and all the syrups to make whatever you like.. if you have one near you.

janerowena Mon 22-Jun-15 20:37:35

I thought so too, but I really resented how much sparkling water costed, and went flat so quickly and was wasted, so always made my own, for years and years. I do still have a machine. I live in hope that I will find a stockist.

loopylou Mon 22-Jun-15 20:30:07

It's so easy to just buy whatever fizzy drinks I wonder just how many people actually consistently use one. To me the one I had years ago made very synthetic tasting drinks, far worse than the shop bought versions.

janerowena Mon 22-Jun-15 20:23:03

I loved them but found that one by one, all the gas cylinder stockists stopped supplying them. I didn't want the drinks mixes, I wanted sparkling water.

sprite66 Mon 22-Jun-15 19:34:37

I like the idea of a too good to throw away shelf. Might put one next to my "too difficult to do" shelf

tanith Mon 22-Jun-15 16:32:07

OH bought one 18mths ago with all good intentions of making flavoured water and lemonade but after the initial interest it got shoved in a cupboard and is now out in the garage on the 'too good to throw away' shelf along with his ice-cream maker and toaster that only toasted half the slice, it will probably get donated next time we have a clear out.

sprite66 Mon 22-Jun-15 15:43:55

Wondering about buying a sodastream, had one years ago but not clued up re newer models.
I see they advertise some models for making fizzy water and others for flavoured drinks- but I would have thought either type would perform plain or flavoured drinks?
Grateful for any experience re these machines.