Gransnet forums

AIBU

to think people should keep their shoes on in public rooms?

(106 Posts)
janerowena Thu 02-Jul-15 14:57:59

Last night was choir practice for one of the choirs I belong to, a community choir of around 40. It was still around 32C in the shade at 7pm, but even so, the room we use to practise in is also used by many other clubs, and is carpeted. Many of the women and some of the men removed their shoes.

I just couldn't have done it. Partly because I think of all the other poor people who have to walk over the carpet after me, including crawling toddlers at playgroup (mud can be vacuumed up, after all, but not sweat) and partly because I wouldn't want my own feet to walk over the grime and grot of ages.

I had no idea I felt that way until last night!

abnerbenjamin Fri 31-Jul-15 21:34:55

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

abnerbenjamin Fri 31-Jul-15 21:34:31

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 08-Jul-15 11:30:46

Yes. It definitely was bliss. And we were none the worse for it.

janerowena Wed 08-Jul-15 11:24:50

I was thinking the same, ignorance about many things really was bliss.

Jane10 Wed 08-Jul-15 10:46:38

Yes jings quite true. We all know enough to scare us silly: which makes us react in such silly ways? (not that OCD is silly btw)

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 08-Jul-15 09:49:22

I can trace the start of my OCD-ness back to the day, years ago, when I read a short piece in Woman mag about how many germs there are on a (then) two shilling coin. Never been the same since. I never gave germs a thought before that. Perhaps we just know too much these days.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 08-Jul-15 09:45:16

shock Marks and Sparks didn't do that for us! Luckily I had covered up the new carpet, although they always manage to stray off the dust sheets. hmm

Tegan Wed 08-Jul-15 09:42:48

I think it started when people began to have much lighter carpets in their homes. My old carpet was quite a dark green and, as such, didn't show any marks. I changed it recently, even though I think it would have lasted forever, because the colour was draining all of the light from the room and even though I couldn't see any dirt I knew it was there and couldn't face moving the furniture to have the cleaners in again.

annsixty Wed 08-Jul-15 09:06:18

We had some furniture from M&S recently and the delivery men put plastic covers on over their shoes before coming into the house. I had never seen that before although I don't buy new furniture often.

Jane10 Wed 08-Jul-15 09:03:15

Ah Douglas Adams. What a loss. I just loved his way of looking at things.

Marelli Wed 08-Jul-15 08:35:09

And, going back to my story of having to put slippers on at that party - I didn't feel all that chuffed putting my feet into slippers that goodness knows how many people had already had their feet in shock! Anyway, when I think of it, my carpets are really quite old ones, as we've had them since we moved here 25 years ago - though are cleaned now and again wink. I think my house may be what my old mum would have described as 'homely'!

Anya Wed 08-Jul-15 08:20:18

For those who haven't read it Mr. Adams told the story of the The Golgafrinchans, a race of people who sent their Telephone Sanitizer population away. The Sanitizers were sent along with another third of the planet’s population who were also deemed useless to form a colony on a remote planet (Earth as it happens). Of course, the remaining Golgafrinchan population was then wiped out by a virulent disease contracted via unsanitary telephones.

Anya Wed 08-Jul-15 08:17:34

Like phone hygienists in the Hitchhikers Guide?

thatbags Wed 08-Jul-15 08:15:46

Oh heck! They'll be transferring beastly bacteria ti inside their shoes as well. End of civilisation as we know it.

thatbags Wed 08-Jul-15 08:14:59

All of which suggests that in fact, people who take their shoes off in public rooms are doing the rest of us a service in minimising the spread of beastly bacteria wink [tongue-firmly-in-cheek-emoticon].

In short, as I suggested earlier, people taking shoes off anywhere at all really isn't a problem.

Marelli Wed 08-Jul-15 08:05:55

I did notice that the chap who installed my broadband wore plastic covers over his shoes.

Greyduster Wed 08-Jul-15 07:51:33

I have noticed that many tradesmen these days change, or take off, their shoes without being asked these days - especially if they are working upstairs.

Anya Wed 08-Jul-15 07:45:57

Leticia I know the feeling smile

Marelli Wed 08-Jul-15 07:39:34

I wouldn't expect anyone to remove their shoes when visiting. The doormat's there for wiping feet on! I once went to a party in a house where there was a row of slippers which the guests were expected to change into as they came into the hallway. Didn't seem quite right, everyone smartly dressed but trudging around in slippers, men included!
If it was snowy or shoes were muddy, I would think visitors would take their shoes off anyway, but otherwise I wouldn't expect it. How does it work if you have the gasman in....shock?

Leticia Wed 08-Jul-15 07:37:21

There are nights when I get 'jumpy legs' and would quite like to take my feet off! grin

Anya Wed 08-Jul-15 07:28:50

Leticia I know you were, I was only winding you up and didn't expect you to take me seriously, hence the emoticons.

Peace x

Leticia Wed 08-Jul-15 07:17:51

I was talking about shoes- being under the impression the thread was about shoes.
If you want to be pedantic you could link my 2 sentences together.

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 23:24:10

moon

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 23:16:52

It's not just me is it Ana?

I'm still trying to figure out if Letticia takes her feet off in bed or keeps her shoes on in bed. I think she has to take her feet off in a house where there's a tiled hallway.

Perhaps we need to define 'them' hmm

Anya Tue 07-Jul-15 23:13:33

Now I'm totally confused you were talking about your feet in that post Leticia no mention of shoes grin