Gransnet forums

AIBU

(Some) Wimbledon supporters

(21 Posts)
ninathenana Tue 07-Jul-15 17:54:55

Fair point Lona regarding 'Atmosphere'

Should have been their own not there of course smile

Charleygirl Tue 07-Jul-15 10:28:35

I agree, sometimes I do want to listen to the commentary but it is drowned by these awful "fans". I cannot remember the name of the male Italian player but there was a group dressed in dark blue T shirts shouting for him and it was very similar.

If Maria Sharipova reaches the final, I will not be watching because her screams and grunts are way over the top.

Lona Tue 07-Jul-15 09:46:30

When you watch with the sound muted, you don't get the atmosphere, sound of the balls hitting the raquets and the excitement of the spectators. That all adds to the pleasure of watching but it's ruined by the excessive chanting of these 'fans'!

ninathenana Tue 07-Jul-15 09:39:15

I don't watch it myself. But find it hard to understand why as crun suggests you can't watch it on mute. I'm sure you would all love to be there but you don't get a commentary when watching live sport so why do you need it in your living room. This is just my curiosity, not a criticism, each to there own.

daffydil Tue 07-Jul-15 08:44:54

4 o'clock!

daffydil Tue 07-Jul-15 08:43:01

I love Wimbledon fortnight. I was a ballgirl at the qualifying tournament many moons ago for which we rewarded with a ticket for number 1 court. I lived in the area and used to go after school several times. Entry was free after 4oclocok i don't know if this is still so.

NanKate Tue 07-Jul-15 08:23:01

I love the tennis season - exciting matches, strawberries, feet up with a cuppa, excuse to do b****er all! BLISS. smile

whenim64 Mon 06-Jul-15 15:14:46

Penstemmon you've got me thinking there could be quite a few Wimbledon residents who might like a house swap in Wimbledon fortnight! Ever hopeful grin

vegasmags Mon 06-Jul-15 14:38:39

Result - Gasquet wins. Now I can put my hearing aid back in!

merlotgran Mon 06-Jul-15 14:17:06

Why on earth did Kyrgios have to embarrass that poor ball boy by expecting a hug? They are trained not to engage with the players and are disciplined if they do so.

Some people really need to get over themselves.

vegasmags Mon 06-Jul-15 14:09:57

I'm watching it and I can't believe the row they are making. If I had paid for a ticket and found myself near that lot, I'd be feeling pretty fed up. I don't understand why the umpire doesn't call for quiet.

Penstemmon Mon 06-Jul-15 14:07:55

when I lived within walking distance of Wimbledon tennis for years but never went..not my sort of thing! I know so many avid tennis fans who have tried to enthuse me over the years but to no avail!

whenim64 Mon 06-Jul-15 14:03:48

Just glanced at the Gasquet/Kyrgios match and the noise seems to be much worse today.

whenim64 Mon 06-Jul-15 13:55:39

Wash your mouth out, Penstemmon grin
'Is it Wimbledon fortnight?' indeed! (shuffles off practising her backhand swing)......

Lona Mon 06-Jul-15 13:54:07

Alea I'm with you all the way! grin. They are awful!
I really feel they should be asked to be quieter and threatened with expulsion! It must be hell sitting near them.

#gotmygrumpyheadon grin

Penstemmon Mon 06-Jul-15 13:48:44

Oh Is it Wimbledon fortnight?? One of the blessings of having moved away from SW London is I do not notice it at all! grin
It was such an irritation to have your favourite places inaccessible due to the area being flooded by tennis fans cluttering up the place!

whenim64 Mon 06-Jul-15 13:38:40

It's irritating but I don't turn the sound down because I want to hear the commentary (although that can get irritating, too). But nothing is as irritating as Sharipova's screeching! I don't watch her at all now, so I hope she doesn't get into the final.

Ceesnan Mon 06-Jul-15 13:32:38

Why not just turn the sound down? You don't need to hear to enjoy the game smile

hildajenniJ Mon 06-Jul-15 13:31:08

Oh, me too. I find myself shouting at them to be quiet. Not a lot of good really as I am watching on television.
I had the good fortune to go to the Wimbledon Championships way back in 1975. My sister and I went to the first week, and we got to see Arthur Ashe, Roscoe Tanner and Tom Okker. It was wonderful.

merlotgran Mon 06-Jul-15 12:59:43

Dan Maskell must be spinning in his grave.

They get on my nerves.

Alea Mon 06-Jul-15 12:55:34

AIBU to be increasingly irritated by the chanting of the "Ozzy army" supporting Kyrgios etc quite so vociferously?
At least they shut up once the players actually play, but I think they simply go too far and I have to admit they are the reason I never liked Hewitt among otherssad