Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect a GP to be good-mannered?

(72 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 06-Aug-15 16:18:46

I took myself off to see a GP this morning (my own is on a well-earned holiday) as I had had such a bad night with something that frequently happens - as soon as I lie down I get pain in the right side of my head, ear, face, tongue (which goes numb on one side)- and I also get akathisia (the feeling that you have to move your limbs). This is coupled with frequent giddiness during the day. I had been awake till 4 am with it last night, and was so fed up with it that I decided I should try and do something about it and rang the surgery for an appointment.

The GP I saw was offhand to the point of rudeness. He just sat and looked at me, so in the end I asked whether the small dose of dosulepin (an anti-depressant of which I take a very small dose) might be involved as a cause and he said that the akathisia could not possibly relate to my dosulepin - even though it is a known side-effect. He said the giddiness (combined with hot flushes) could not be hormonal (!).

I said that I was concerned about how these problems were impinging on my quality of life and that I would like to get to the bottom of it. He shrugged (yes - really) and said that patients were always wanting a diagnosis, but mostly that was not possible; and that all he could do was try some different drugs. I was not happy about throwing drugs at problems without having a clear diagnosis - all you get is the potential for more side-effects.

In the end he said he would refer me for a brain MRI - it was clear from his manner that he could not see any other way of getting me out of the door.

I find it amazing that he could be so rude and off-hand with someone whom he knows has recently recovered from a depressive illness. I was quite upset when I left the surgery - but am now just rather angry about it.

This man has a bit of a reputation for being off-hand, but because of various family professional connections, I had not expected to be on the receiving end. Were it not for these connections, I would make a complaint against him.

AIBU?

Anne58 Thu 06-Aug-15 20:31:06

I may be missing something here, but if this miserable excuse for a doctor person is known to be a supercilious arsehole rather disagreeable chap, with somewhat limited bloody non-existent social/personal skills, then why haven't hordes of pissed off people, who have probably paid to put this prat through medical school, and are still paying for his "services" via NI contributions some people stormed the surgery with flaming torches, a bit like that bit in Frankenstein, where the people are baying for his blood, even though deep down the poor old monster wasn't actually a bad bloke, unlike this suppurating wound on the backside of the medical profession put in some sort of complaint?

Luckygirl Thu 06-Aug-15 20:32:05

rosequartz - it is a shame that you feel like that about seeing the new GPs - it would be so good if we could have confidence in receiving a helpful consultation.

My OH is an ex-GP and so many patients came up to me afterwards and said how sad they were that he was going as he was their doctor of choice when making an appointment as he always took their problems seriously and was clear with them. That is what we have a right to expect I think.

Did anyone watch the programme GPs Behind Closed Doors? - they all seemed a bit too good to be true - perhaps cameras might be the thing!

Jane10 Thu 06-Aug-15 20:50:52

Its always seemed to me that in every GP practice I've been to that there's an unpopular Dr who no one wants to have an appt with. Because of this its always them who you get the emergency appt with. I like getting the GP trainee as they always try so hard.

Luckygirl Thu 06-Aug-15 21:13:31

Phoenix - people have complained; I have no idea why he is still there. In some ways I feel sorry for him - he is burnt out and clearly not happy in what he is doing - but he is probably hanging on for his pension. Very sad all round.

Luckygirl Thu 06-Aug-15 21:14:42

PS I like "suppurating wound on the backside of the medical profession" - very apt!!

NotTooOld Thu 06-Aug-15 21:16:49

It's upsetting when ANYONE is rude to you, isn't it? I suppose GPs are entitled to off days in the same way as anyone else but I agree with those above who say you should complain. Most surgeries seem to have a Patient Forum these days. In fact, I believe they are obliged to have one, so perhaps you could find out about that and make your complaint to the chairperson of the Forum. Otherwise, I would say the Practice Manager is the one you should complain to. Good luck - and don't take this to heart; it may have been nothing personal at all, just a doctor having an off day.

Luckygirl Thu 06-Aug-15 21:21:58

Thanks for your kind words NotTooOld. I am a bit vulnerable at present after the depression and other family problems and illnesses - this GP is aware of these things and it is sad that he was not humane enough to act accordingly - but there we are.

Wilma - you did not hijack the thread; you added some useful contributions, and thank you for that.

annodomini Thu 06-Aug-15 21:34:26

LG, if this surly GP was aware of your recent problems, all the more reason why he should have given you a decent and empathic hearing, though come to think of it, empathy probably isn't in his vocabulary.

durhamjen Thu 06-Aug-15 21:43:03

Nottooold, in my surgery there is a machine to go on and say what you think about your treatment. However, as it can be seen from the desk and by any other patients waiting, I have never seen anyone use it!

FarNorth Thu 06-Aug-15 22:16:13

It might seem like "Oh, a brain scan, that's getting something done anyway" but if it is not appropriate for your problem it is as much good as if he just told you to p**s off.

This doctor could be making serious mistakes by not listening and/or not investigating or even thinking properly.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 06-Aug-15 22:21:28

I think we under estimate just what doctors know. Yes, you should be able to expect kindness, but different people do have different personalities. Maybe he is actually good at healing patients. Who knows?

NotTooOld Thu 06-Aug-15 22:51:54

durhamjen - he-he! That does rather defeat the purpose, doesn't it? I wonder what they are afraid of?

durhamjen Thu 06-Aug-15 23:12:04

Jingl, after I had my aortic dissection, I had to go to see my GP. He said he was surprised to see me. I asked him what he knew about aortic dissections, so he told me that doctors knew a lot about everything so what did I want to know. He told me his father had had an aortic aneurysm, so I asked what was the difference between an aneurysm and a dissection, and he said not a lot.
This was the doctor who called my husband greedy for getting a brain tumour.
Needless to say, I have never seen him since, and have not even agreed to a phone appointment with him.
Whenever I have had tests since and had to talk to someone who is not my normal GP now, I have been sent for further tests at the local hospital which were quite unnecessary.
I think some doctors underestimate the patients' intelligence.

You can see why I will not use the machine, NotTooOld.

Anne58 Thu 06-Aug-15 23:25:58

Just as an aside, my GP had to really push to get me a scan, his first approach for a CT scan was refused, because I am under 60. He then insisted, I got the CT scan and consultants appointment, and am now scheduled for an MRI.

HappyNan1 Fri 07-Aug-15 00:44:58

A bit off track but I'll add it. I saw my GP last week and she was very helpful, as I was leaving I thanked her for looking after me and DD and her family so well. With a tired smile she said how lovely it was to be thanked as so very few people do so. Yes, I know they are 'just doing their job for which they are paid' , however I still think a sincere heartfelt thank you brightens the day.
Obviously very different to the gp you saw Luckygirl. Can't imagine anyone thanking him, hope you feel better soon. flowers

celebgran Fri 07-Aug-15 09:11:07

Agree happy nan I thanked the young lady gp who saw tuesday as she is being so thorough over my chest pain due to my father dying massive coronary at my,age, just doing her job but doing it well.

Still wants further tests after ECG reassuring.

Sadly they not all like that. Some can't wait get you out door and barely glance up. The ten minute rule puts me on edge.

I feel younger ones take more trouble, but not always can't generalise.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 07-Aug-15 09:27:35

I guess we can only judge on our own experiences. My doc seems to get it right, though I do try to trouble him as little as possible.

I've always thought it best to stay away from doctors if at all possible. But that does get a bit harder as we get older.

petra Fri 07-Aug-15 10:40:54

A Doctor said to me: you don't like Doctors much, do you? I said, no I don't, why do you ask? He said, you don't come here much.

atqui Fri 07-Aug-15 10:47:36

Being rude is inexcusable (though we all have our off days), particularly as it puts people off going to see their GP, when there may be something which needs an urgent diagnosis, but you were very fortunate to have been referred for an MRI scan. I hope your problems are resolved soon. Your symptons sound horrendous.

annifrance Sat 08-Aug-15 09:20:28

Some doctors still think they are gods. There is absolutely no excuse EVER for GPs (or their receptionists) to be rude, arrogant or off hand and failing in their duties to examine patients. Things in GP surgeries have improved and for the last 25 years that I lived in England, I had two wonderful GPs, excellent locums or other partners if my own was not available and superb receptionist.

However this was not always the case. I had one highly qualified, mysogenist GP years ago who told me as I lay in bed 8 months pregnant, with high temperature and bronchitis that I enjoyed ill health!! I complained to the senior partner and said GP without telling me struck me off his list and sent our paperwork back to the central location! I had two small children and no doctor! Shortly after I moved to another part of England and found my first wonderful GP, he diagnosed all sorts of minor things that should have been sorted months earlier.

In more recent years I moved my elderly mother to a residential home near me, which was wonderful, and the GP practice to which she was assigned was unbelievable. Arrogant, uninformative despite the fact my mother had the attention span of about 1 minute and a snooty receptionist who asked if it was the ten minute car journey that made me change to another practice. No I said, it's your attitude. I took my mother to my own wonderful practice where they said I know you want your mother where you know you will all be loved! Magic! and the medical attention was fantastic.

I have now lived in France for ten years and my GP could not be more attentive or more than well-mannered, arrogance does not enter his vocabulary - so much for dissing the French male. And all the other consultants that I have seen over these years have been amazing and I have never once come up against arrogance and disinterest. Despite excellent emergency and serious illness care in the NHS I would now not trust my body to any health service except the French.

The purpose of this rant is to say that many years ago I worked at the Royal College of Physicians. Here top doctors, who worked in the NHS, private practice, had students, set exam papers and gave their valuable time for free to the running of the RCP, never ever were arrogant, impolite and always thanked us non medical employees profusely. The President at the time, Lord Rosenheim, would greet everyone he met in the corridors and chat, including the waitresses. So any arrogant GP that I meet is regaled with this homily and goes away with a flea in their ear.

Some doctors should wake up and smell the copy. We no longer regard them as demi gods as our parents did.

annodomini Sat 08-Aug-15 09:48:46

What's the difference between God and a doctor? God knows she's God.

(well, the old ones are sometimes the best ones!)

Luckygirl Sat 08-Aug-15 09:54:44

The GP I had the problem with is just plain burnt out and should retire. He is happy to dole out drugs to get the patients of his back.

I have some sympathy with that in one sense - my OH was a GP and retired early because of the toll it was taking on his health and well-being.

But the patients with this particular GP - I know others who have suffered the same fate.

thatbags Sat 08-Aug-15 10:34:04

A female GP was once abrupt with me when I was asking for more information. The shock I felt at her attitude must have shown on my face because she changed her tone immediately

soontobe Sat 08-Aug-15 10:50:32

Large pensions have a lot to answer for.

Luckygirl Sat 08-Aug-15 10:51:05

It is particularly uncomfortable when this happens, as we are more vulnerable when we are feeling unwell.