Gransnet forums

AIBU

Can I join in, even if though I'm not a 'Gran'?

(112 Posts)
snowberryZ Wed 19-Aug-15 14:18:42

I've come over from the 'other place'.
Like others, I tried to log in to MN this morning and it won't let me (I don't think I've said anything I shouldn't have, or had any arguments that I know of shock )
I think it's because they are making everybody get new passwords (what with their 'problems' and all)
I can't get a password reset as I don't remember the email address I registered with, which is a fat lot of good. confused Anyway, I don't really feel 'safe' on there at the moment, so won't be trying too hard to get back on there for a while.

I remembered that I'd joined Gransnet a while ago, but hadn't used it much at the time, because I felt like a bit of a fake - what with not even having any grandchildren of my own- even though I'm the right age hmm.
Are there many that post on here, who also aren't 'grans'?
I hope it's alright to be on here. It seems like a nice place. Not as intense as MN, but still with interesting subjects to discuss.
On the other hand, NetMums seems too twee for me.
Thanks.

Blodyn Sat 24-Oct-15 23:03:46

O good, just put this in a search to see if it was ok to join if your not a "gran". My question has been answered. Yay!

Maggiemaybe Sun 23-Aug-15 21:32:48

smile

Ana Sun 23-Aug-15 21:25:48

Well, it's sometimes like that on one or two of the political threads anyway...wink

Maggiemaybe Sun 23-Aug-15 21:24:22

Perhaps if we did get an 'ignore' button, some GNers would end up just talking to themselves and wondering why nobody was arguing with them any more... grin

Ana Sun 23-Aug-15 21:20:17

Yes indeed! grin

annsixty Sun 23-Aug-15 21:18:08

I think we all have our own lists!!!

Maggiemaybe Sun 23-Aug-15 20:19:07

grin No, jingl, these two wouldn't care what anyone thought, and I can't imagine them quaking either!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 23-Aug-15 18:11:29

You realise Maggiemaybe that everyone is now racking their brains to figure out who you mean. (and quaking in case it is them!) grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 23-Aug-15 18:10:06

Have they got anybody left over at the Other Place? shock

Maggiemaybe Sun 23-Aug-15 17:55:06

I think GN could do with an 'ignore' button, so that no GNer had to get their knickers in a twist reading the posts of people they really can't do with. I'd be so much happier if I never again read the posts of two particular contributors (and no, neither of them is soontobe smile), yet I don't stop looking at them. It's like scratching an itch.

Welcome to Gransnet, new people! And you'll find the free books if you click on the Books tab. Just make sure you don't nab my copies. grin

TheExMotherInLaw Sun 23-Aug-15 17:12:18

Thanks for starting this thread. I've just snuck in from t'other place, too, feeling like an intruder, as I have no gks, and no prospect of any either (sob, sob).
I'm an owl, too.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 23-Aug-15 15:39:27

Loads of people take their device to bed with them.

And that's not as rude as it might sound.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 23-Aug-15 15:36:37

Yeah. Wot Bags said.

I prefer soon's posts to some of the long-winded, cleverer-than-you, go-on-forever, love-the-sound-of-my-own-voice, posts you get on here. hmm

soontobe Sun 23-Aug-15 10:08:08

Thanks Elegran.

I just want to add to my above post that I can handle things, but I appreciate posts like thatbags.

Elegran Sun 23-Aug-15 10:00:00

Back to the original subject - yes you are welcome on Gransnet even though you have no grandchildren - and Gransnet embraces Grandads as well as Grannies.

As for "rules" - There are guidelines and anyone ignoring them gets a message from HQ rapping their knuckles, and/or their post deleted, followed by a ban if they are very bad.

There are posters who will annoy you. Either argue with them, report them to HQ (who will take appropriate action), or ignore them. It is up to you.

soontobe Sun 23-Aug-15 09:50:21

Thanks thatbags smile

I am all right about what people write about me though.
Gransnet HQ told me a long time ago to talk to them if it got too much. Which I bear in mind.

thatbags Sun 23-Aug-15 09:45:13

There are a lot of irritating posts. I'm sure the posts of most of us irritate someone or other a good deal of the time. As soon says, so what? Ignore it. Respond to it. Whatever. So long as someone isn't being abusive, it doesn't matter.

And she's also right about not being cowed. Stop picking on her, folks!

soontobe Sun 23-Aug-15 09:38:42

No, I mean overestimate.
It doesnt take me long at all.

soontobe Sun 23-Aug-15 09:37:05

Post of 8.26am.

There are many rules in the world.
And many people in the world attempt to rule and boss others.

But on the internet, apart from miminal site rules, that is it.

People are free to write what they want..

Does it matter if someothers dont like what someone writes?
Not really. It really doesnt.

So I am encouraging other people to write what they want, but bear in mind that it is an open forum that is public.

Other than that. Go for it.
Even if only one other poster likes your thought and opinions, so what?

The post is also about not being cowed. Anywhere. Which I think is a very important point to make in general.

Alea Sun 23-Aug-15 09:34:19

Sorry, did you mean underestimate?

Alea Sun 23-Aug-15 09:33:00

I don't think brains actually stop and most people dream !!

soontobe Sun 23-Aug-15 09:30:12

I think you overestimate how long it takes me to analyse things. My brain does it all day every day. And night too. I dream throughout the night. My brain doesnt seem to stop.

I think it explains why I am not creative. Or sporty etc.
I am into some things, and not into others.

Alea Sun 23-Aug-15 09:29:56

I like "Enflish"!!blush how ironic, I assume we understood it was meant to be English!!

Alea Sun 23-Aug-15 09:27:46

soontobe you have just written six posts about not very much, you are apparently answering questions nobody is asking, in a disingenuous, but quite self obsessed way.
Have you never thought about what you want to say in advance or indeed why?
It does come across as bossy, "know it all " and in your own way you seem to be attempting to set an agenda for the thread.
You feel people should be free to write/spell etc in whatever form they please. Fine. But by referring to that as "getting spellings wrong, using the wrong words or having bad Enflish, you are yourself being judgemental.
I found your imagined theories of why people post early or late in the evening and extrapolation about bedtime habits frankly ludicrous
1) how can you possibly know?
2) why could you possibly care?
3) what does it matter anyway?
Much of your post of 8.26 is quite surreal and could have been written in the wee small hours when people's fancies tend to run riot.
Fortunately most of us have better things to do than fret about being "cowed".

soontobe Sun 23-Aug-15 09:14:36

As if I live my life through the internet! grin