Gransnet forums

AIBU

Boycotting Amazon when they pay Clarkson £800,000 per episode?

(139 Posts)
rubylady Fri 28-Aug-15 16:07:58

Amazon are said to be paying Clarkson £800,000 per episode and the other presenters and co workers will also be paid huge amounts when they start working for the company. So AIBU to boycott Amazon when they can afford such ludicrious amounts to a man who does something wrong and then gets rewarded in such way?

It really teaches the young the correct way, doesn't it?

LuckyDucky Thu 12-Jan-17 18:01:26

Fine Daphne smile

I'm still in a good mood and chilled wine;
though there's snow settling on the grass. (18.00 hrs.)

DaphneBroon Wed 11-Jan-17 22:18:03

Was it Alea who resurrected this thread from November then?confused
No? Oh of course, it was you LuckyDucky. grin
I fear you are arguing with an empty room.

f77ms Wed 11-Jan-17 22:10:32

Wouldn`t buy from Amazon while they treat their staff so abysmally and certainly wouldn`t watch Clarkson who behaves like an overgrown schoolboy .

rosesarered Wed 11-Jan-17 21:42:25

Alea has left the building!

Ana Wed 11-Jan-17 21:29:20

Have you noticed how old this thread is, LuckyDucky and others?

LuckyDucky Wed 11-Jan-17 21:14:39

Your ironic humour alea about Amazon is welcome.

LuckyDucky Wed 11-Jan-17 20:35:30

Petra couldn't agree more.

Alea, move on. I have.

Lastly, a Happy New Year to you all.

petra Tue 10-Jan-17 13:41:28

LuckyDucky I'm with you. I don't give a stuff how much him and his team earn. They entertain me, make me laugh, a bit of un- pc, which I love, and best of all stick a finger up to the BBC. It's not Amazons fault they don't pay their fair share of taxes, it's our governments fault for letting them get away with it.

Christinefrance Mon 09-Jan-17 19:30:04

Afraid you are in the minority LuckyDucky, but there is nothing wrong with that, it would be such a bland world if we all had the same tastes.
I used to like Top Gear whhen it was about the cars and not the collective egos of Clarkson, Hammond and May, those days are gone so I must move on.smile

LuckyDucky Mon 09-Jan-17 17:28:38

We watch Grand Tour with Clarkson, Hammond and May and enjoy it. We enjoy the tom foolery. Hearing the words, "The producers want us to . . ." I bet the C/H/M will air their views, well before the cameras turn.

The scenery is often stunning, particularly the desert ones.

Anyone agree or, am I in the minority? confused

Alea Wed 11-Nov-15 15:22:02

Still waiting anxiously to find out how I have slandered/libelled you, luckyDucky?? Especially under UK law <trembling>

rosesarered Wed 11-Nov-15 15:19:56

grin

Alea Wed 11-Nov-15 10:00:17

I don't have Amazon TV and I never watched Clarkson when Top Gear was on the BBC. However, my continued lack of patronage will no doubt make Amazon really sit up and take notice.

suzied Wed 11-Nov-15 06:27:43

I will boycott Jeremy clarkson by not watching the programme.
How about boycotting anything made in China?

Alea Wed 11-Nov-15 00:32:01

Perhaps there is something else I have said about you which is inaccurate? If so and if it is relevant to this thread, do share.
If it is not relevant, perhaps you would prefer to pm me?
confused and not for the first time.

Alea Wed 11-Nov-15 00:19:28

I am sorry luckyducky what part of the reference to your crutches did I misrepresent?

From my perspective, I was let down by a hospital and surgery: (I needed crutches ASAP). So that day, we ordered crutches I badly needed
from Amazon. They were delivered the following day.

LuckyDucky Tue 10-Nov-15 23:22:05

Ignorance is no excuse under UK laws alea Ensure anything you post about me is accurate.

rosequartz Tue 10-Nov-15 19:07:13

I haven't joined in this thread because I was completely unaware that Amazon had a tv channel - with or without Clarkson hmm
Since when? (oh, since 2012, I googled it)
You live and learn.
I am only just beginning to cope with more than five channels.

rosesarered Mon 09-Nov-15 23:11:59

Yes, too generous by far!

Anya Mon 09-Nov-15 23:07:24

You spoil us with your links DJ

POGS Mon 09-Nov-15 22:42:49

Complicated indeed Alea , tax havens, interest offset against profit, cashboxes, shifting brand names offshore, intellectual property, permanent establishments, hybrid/nowhere structures, etc. etc. etc.

As I mentioned interesting to see if the OECD changes will have any effect , time will tell.

Alea Mon 09-Nov-15 22:30:57

Who doesn't?

durhamjen Mon 09-Nov-15 22:17:42

However, as Granjura said, when I give links you do not read them.
I've had enough.

Alea Mon 09-Nov-15 22:11:16

I thought this thread was about Clarkson!! Whatever gave me that idea? Oh, yes, OP. Thank you rubylady,
Reading it again it is not about tax fiddling, eBay sending stuff from China or whatever.
There seems to have been a massive conflating of issues
1) we think Jeremy Clarkson is a prat
2) he was overpaid at the BBC and since being sacked is about to be overpaid by Amazon TV
3)( I don't subscribe to Amazon TV so I am not paying any of his salary )
4) Unless he has an off shore arrangement, I assume he will pay Income Tax, so that will come back via HMRC
5) Whatever shenanigans eBay gets up,to in order to avoid paying tax seems an added complication
6)Where does the NHS come into all of this anyway, luckyDucky's crutches etc?
Finally, as I said, complicated tax law makes for complicated tax avoidance. Evasion which is criminal, is of course another thing, but if we want to cut back on avoidance we will have to be prepared for simpler tax laws, which will almost certainly not favour small businesses and may even backfire on our balance of payments.

[confusd]confused

Virtue signalling again?

granjura Mon 09-Nov-15 21:50:25

' however much you may wish to take issue with my posts. ' - why on earth would I want to do that?

As said, can't win- you post links and copy parts of the article and get told that links are 'boring' or that you are 'lecturing' and that some can't be bothered to read and it won't change their mind anyhow...

- you don't, and you get complaints that you didn't. Funny that.