Gransnet forums

AIBU

Jeremy Corbyn

(136 Posts)
oldbony Thu 24-Sep-15 16:42:27

Does anyone believe that he will be good for us pensioners?

LuckyDucky Mon 26-Oct-15 06:18:24

Like that rosegrin

rosequartz Sun 25-Oct-15 10:12:45

It could be between the devil and the deep blue sea at the next election then anno hmm

(unless JBC gracefully gives way to someone else eg AB)

rosequartz Sun 25-Oct-15 10:10:16

Is JC like an onion?
Ha ha!!
Do you mean enough to make grown men cry LuckyDucky grin

annodomini Sun 25-Oct-15 10:00:18

Yes, Tegan, I saw it and he was most emphatic about not changing tax credits. Did you see the way Osborne was strutting around Manchester with the President of China? It's looking more and more as if he has the upper hand on policy making and sees himself as PM in waiting.

Tegan Sun 25-Oct-15 08:52:29

HIGNFY showed a clip of Cameron promising not to change tax credits for people on last weeks programme I believe [must admit I haven't seen it but the S.O. did].

rosesarered Sun 25-Oct-15 07:51:17

Nothing much?

LuckyDucky Sun 25-Oct-15 06:53:51

HIGNFY (Have I Got News For You) made their point succinctly, they showed footage of JC's habit of staring at cameras. Anyone see that episode?

It was particularly noticeable when he sat next to DC (who rightly, ignored the camera). I bet DC had choice words describing his aberrant behaviour. ['shock]. How disrespectful.

Is JC like an onion? Peel off layer after another, to find . .what?confused

durhamjen Sat 24-Oct-15 15:04:06

think-left.org/2015/10/24/why-everything-is-now-different-the-sneerage-coefficient-is-off-the-scale/

A brilliant article about the Labour party under Jeremy Corbyn.

thatbags Tue 20-Oct-15 22:04:29

He will have to negotiate and compromise, something I don't get the feeling he's needed to do much of so far. I shall be watching his leadership unfold with interest and if he makes a good job of it, good for him.

thatbags Tue 20-Oct-15 22:01:32

If Corbyn is giving people information, that's fine by me, tegan. That wasn't what was being talked about when I commented on the simplicity of his views up thread. He has been an activist all his political career (nothing wrong with that) but now that he's leader of a major political party it's not that simple imo.

Tegan Tue 20-Oct-15 21:55:27

But it isn't about being left wing or right wing; it's about highlighting some of the things that are happening to a lot of members of society. There's no harm, surely, in giving people information that they may not know about. I'm grateful for it as I'm pretty out of touch politically these days.

thatbags Tue 20-Oct-15 21:48:26

Actually, trisher, I apologise. I do seem to have said (aeons ago in thread terms) that simplistic left wing views are adolescent. I do think that. I also think simplistic right wing views, well all simplistic views, are adolescent/immature.

And I think the apparent attitude of some people towards those whom they judge to be not left wing are adolescent/immature.

I hope that is clear now.

Anniebach Tue 20-Oct-15 21:31:27

rosesarered, I suggest you are confusing compassion with dramatics .

When we hear of more people taking their own lives - as always happens in times of much poverty - I will express my sorrow not drama.

thatbags Tue 20-Oct-15 21:22:22

trisher, I used adolescent in its dictionary meaning of immature. I think you have misunderstood what I was saying that I thought was immature.

I do not think left wing views are necessarily immature, though they can be, as can right wing views.

What I said and what I meant is that I think the apparent attitude of some posters on here towards people they judge not to be left wing are immature.

rosesarered Tue 20-Oct-15 18:38:31

Since it is not me personally bringing in cuts in tax credits ( ! ) I suggest a little less dramatics in the posts.Anniebach asked how these people who will now get less will manage, and my answer ( since they have no choice) is that they will have to be very careful with money.What are others suggesting they do then?Being kind and compassionate in your answers on this forum do zilch for these people.

trisher Tue 20-Oct-15 18:11:35

thatbags the dictionary definition of "adolescent" is immature- if you didn't use the word to mean this please can you explain exactly what you did mean. Personally I find it difficult to imagine that this description of anyone's views can be anything but an attempt to belittle them, but I am open to another explanation.

durhamjen Tue 20-Oct-15 17:46:18

Just been reading an article about development goals, which 70 countries signed up to, including this one. There are 17 clauses, but Cameron only wanted to have 12 or even better, 10.
The first one is end global poverty in whatever form.

I prefer this one, End global wealth.

www.humanosphere.org/basics/2015/10/comic-2013-skewers-sdgs-existed/

It does make you feel sorry for the rich.

durhamjen Tue 20-Oct-15 17:26:45

Nobody starved? People are starving now. Why do you think there are so many food banks? What about the man who starved aftr he had his benefits cut?
If I'd voted for that I would be ashamed.
I keep saying it, I know, but do we not want life to be better for all now than it was when we were bringing up our kids?

durhamjen Tue 20-Oct-15 17:20:57

MPs have had a bigger pay rise than people on the minimum wage earn. That's why it's criminal to cut benefits.
When did the word welfare come in? It's an American idea. We have benefits.

I am listening to the debate at the moment. Hollinrake, Tory MP in Yorkshire has just said that the IMF report does not take into account the fact that people can work for longer hours. He must be a friend of Jeremy Hunt.

Anniebach Tue 20-Oct-15 15:37:34

So children worked in the pits at one time, if they did it our grandchildren can do it ? Saying how hard it was in times past but we survived is quite brutal in my opinion , do we want the same for our children and grandchildren? I do not. If a person is hungry telling them to drink a couple of glasses of water to ease their immediate hunger could be shrugged off as good advice

mollie Tue 20-Oct-15 15:16:56

We're doing it again! We're debating how the poor ought to behave better and not be a burden but what about the other half of my earlier point? The bit about those already well-heeled Lords and Ladies who get a daily allowance just for turning up - just for signing in, not for doing anything constructive - of more than many workers at the other end of the scale earn in a week. Shouldn't we be more inclined towards asking those people who are mostly at the end of their (probably lucrative) careers to do something for the greater good and claim a little bit (or a lot) less?

rosesarered Tue 20-Oct-15 14:59:46

Things may well have been difficult for some ( myself included) in the past, but we all made it didn't we? Nobody starved.If you are on the most basic wage, then there may be help with rent subsidies, childrens allowance and other things.My answer of ' cutting your coat according to your cloth' still holds good, and is not an insult or intended to be, just sensible advice.
I would have preferred to see the tax credits extended by a sort of sliding scale until the firms are paying higher wages, but doesn't look as if that will happen.Quite a few people will be better off but certainly others will not.

Anniebach Tue 20-Oct-15 14:37:46

I was widowed with two little ones in the seventies, ,widowed mothers allowance and family allowance ,that was it . If I worked I paid tax as a single person and the widows allowance was counted as earnings . Creeping out at night to read the electric meter to see how much I had spent that day, I was lucky to be given work in the convent - a boarding school and a house for the nuns . They allowed me to have school holidays off and time off if children were ill. No mortgage but rent had to be paid so like mollie it meant juggling . To add insult to injury , I trotted to the post office every week clutching my pension book, one week ten pounds less, I went to the social security office and was informed the new government had brought in changes - yep Thatcher government, they deducted five pounds for each year I was widowed under the age of thirty five, I was widowed when thirty three so ten pounds deducted , ten pounds was such a lot in the early eighties , I still remember weeping into the night . I did tell them if my husband had foreseen this he would have stayed alive for a further two years.

I feel so sorry for the millions who will receive letters before Christmas telling them how much income they will lose

Cutting your coat is good if you have the cloth to cut , God help you if you haven't

Ana Tue 20-Oct-15 13:59:46

'working', not woeking!

Ana Tue 20-Oct-15 13:58:10

I was a woeking single parent in the 90s and besides child allowance, received Family Income Suppor which topped up the earnings of those on a low-ish wage.

I had to beg my mortgage company to let me pay interest only while the rate was so high, but we did manage, nobody starved...