Gransnet forums

AIBU

BBC and what are your views? [confused]

(38 Posts)
LuckyDucky Wed 21-Oct-15 16:16:20

a) Why does the UK tax payer continue to fund the BBC? The Corporation owns several channels on Sky. Then there's new and old TV programmes/films sold across the world.

b) As Top Gear was the biggest grossing TV programme on the planet, why threaten ( UK population) viewers to pay an annual fee? angry Answer . . .because they can. The UK government's can legislate the BBC fees will remain the same, will be reduced or shelved. Hypothetically, if your snout was in the UK's trough, wouldn't you ensure your trough stays accessible and full?

Anyone agree?

Tegan Thu 22-Oct-15 18:18:21

Take it that those who don't like the BBC are not going to watch The Last Kingdom tonight [can't wait, me!!].

harrigran Thu 22-Oct-15 17:55:45

I have two properties therefore I have to buy two licences, I never watch live television so it is used as a monitor for watching DVDs, of course the set could be used to watch live TV so I am not exempt.
I would like to think that all those abroad, receiving BBC, were contributing too but I guess not.

Nvella Thu 22-Oct-15 13:28:09

I feel almost the same about the BBC as I do about the NHS - I think it should be treasured. So they get some things wrong but I am always astonished when going to the US and Canada how appalling their TV is and how friends I meet there spend all their viewing times watching BBC boxed sets. I would pay double the licence fee without quibbling.

trisher Thu 22-Oct-15 12:11:16

The reason they pay high salaries to some presenters is to retain them and because their shows sell on well, and easily.

gillybob Thu 22-Oct-15 12:02:54

BBC news is so PC it is almost laughable at times.

gillybob Thu 22-Oct-15 12:01:25

My late grandma was the opposite LullyDully she preferred ITV and said it was for "us working class". She was also dead against the crazy salaries paid from tax payers money.

LullyDully Thu 22-Oct-15 11:43:53

I am just a BBC fan. I like the integrity they generally show. I am prepared to pay for the lack of ads. Everything defaults
to Radio 4 here.

On ITV catch up you can not whizz through the ads. Awful. Every time you go forward you are met with a raft of ads.

BBC news can be biased but so can Channel 4. My Dad thought BBC was the only channel to view. We were the last people to have ITV at my school. He used to say "Let's watch the news in English!"(He was born in 1907.)

They do need to rationalise their salaries for all those people played obscene salaries.

So long live the BBC just take care you don't loose it all.

Elegran Thu 22-Oct-15 11:22:29

A permanent rolling record of everything on BBC Television and Radio. Since October 2007 this site has created a permanent, findable web presence for every programme the BBC has broadcast, with some programmes being populated as far back as 1942.

Elegran Thu 22-Oct-15 11:20:41

Open University programmes on the BBC

Elegran Thu 22-Oct-15 11:17:45

List of programmes made by the BBC that are either currently being broadcast or have previously been broadcast on the BBC in the United Kingdom.

gillybob Thu 22-Oct-15 11:11:49

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2856908/The-91-BBC-executives-paid-Prime-Minister-Eleven-including-Director-General-BBC-One-controller-head-radio-earn-100-000-Cameron.html

Apparently there are 91 (bosses) with a combined salary of £19 million. Its eye watering.

Then you have the likes of Graham Norton on £2.6 million and Gary Lineker on £2 million.

How can the BBC justify this? It is tax payers money afterall.

Ana Thu 22-Oct-15 10:54:54

I feel the same way, gillybob. And I do think the salaries paid to some at the top are obscene - how much is Alan Yentob, for example, on?

gillybob Thu 22-Oct-15 10:51:53

The problem is though trisher is that it is a lot of money for some people who possibly never even watch the BBC but like television.

Personally I don't mind either way. I do enjoy some of the BBC programs but find some others absolute rubbish much the same as the other channels.

trisher Thu 22-Oct-15 10:42:19

"Filled only with a good helping of nostalgia"- How condescending can you get?
Well here's something that isn't nostalgic. If you replace the BBC with a selection of channels owned by moguls, dependant upon advertisers and with no remit for arts and education you will possible end up with monopolies that only produce puerile programmes and feed you a biased view of the world through news programmes and documentaries. I think paying a small amount for an independent channel is money well spent.
I pay for my broadband, I pay for my phones, I pay for cable, why wouldn't I pay for the BBC?

Anniebach Thu 22-Oct-15 10:37:38

It has faults but I love the beeb . With the exception of their sports comentators !

On waking there is 'Today' with John Humphries and Co. At night 'today in parliment' and the book reading, Poetry and Laurie Taylor on Sunday night

The tennis grand slams. Panorama. PMQ. Far too many programmes to list, I would hate to be without the beeb. I am irritated by their gravy train , how much longer will they inflict Angela Rippon and Co on us

SKY has many channels but few programmes worth watching

annodomini Thu 22-Oct-15 10:28:51

The BBC is fantastic value for money. American visitors to Britain are in awe of what we have by comparison with what they have to put up with. Two weeks today I'll be relieved of the responsibility to pay for my TV licence though I never have begrudged it, and still don't.

gillybob Thu 22-Oct-15 10:12:00

I love the BBC but feel that a TV tax is so ridiculously outdated. It's 2015 for heaven sake. Why make the poorest in our society pay to watch TV?

As previously mentioned the BBC sell themslves all over the world although I am not sure how much this brings in I am sure that if they stopped overpaying all these so called celebs the money would stretch a hell of a lot further. Not sure how else it could be funded without advertising of some kind though.

I would like to add that BBC broadcasts (mostly London based) are all biased towards London and it is virtually impossible to get a ticket for anything if you are outside the capital.

henetha Thu 22-Oct-15 09:43:31

I'm a huge fan of the BBC and have watched/listenened to it all my life.
Other countries envy us what is one of the best broadcasters in the world.
Long live the BBC!

whitewave Thu 22-Oct-15 09:08:25

There is a programme about the BBC on radio 4 on Saturday evening at 8,PM.

JamJar1 Thu 22-Oct-15 08:20:30

Agree with harrigran I watch perhaps one or two programmes at the most a week. I can never find anything worth watching on any channel. I used to be a daily Radio 4 listener but sadly although I still listen occasionally that's all.

Iam64 Thu 22-Oct-15 08:15:15

The BBC is good value for money imo.
The tv is good but the radio programmes are excellent. what would we do without radio 4?!

Leticia Thu 22-Oct-15 08:06:58

I watch BBC all the time- much better than any other channel and radio is good. Some great programmes!

harrigran Thu 22-Oct-15 00:19:23

I think BBC should go, I never watch it live and never listen to the radio. For the amount of money it takes in the good programmes are few and far between. With the exception of a couple of plays, recently, the drama is poor.

LuckyDucky Thu 22-Oct-15 00:04:01

BBC

It is really nice to see other opinions opposed to mine that aren't negative, filled only with a good helping of nostalgia; Thank you.

OK TV ads are a nuisance unless you push fast forward x 30, a few seconds later boom. . .back to the plot and, the Beeb's your auntie !grin

Twenty-five years ago a neighbour asked "how do you manage watching all those channels?" I pointed out Sky is similar to having an a la carte menu. We pick the programmes which interest us.

So what would you all change about UK TV?grin

Anyone have cable TV?

Eloethan Wed 21-Oct-15 22:38:15

I think the BBC is worth every penny.

There is, of course, a concerted campaign being mounted to get rid of it and leave the market open to Murdoch and other commercial providers. Many of these providers are already quite expensive. I dread to think how much their charges will increase if the BBC goes - either that or it will be a race to the bottom so far as quality is concerned.