Gransnet forums

AIBU

UK Injustice

(8 Posts)
rosequartz Wed 21-Oct-15 23:55:06

3 An increasing amount of UK children have rickets.

Confiscate all computers, tablets, ipads and send them outside in the sunshine. Make sure they don't burn.
Actually, GPs can prescribe Vitamin D for children but I have never heard of any children who have been prescribed it.

rosesarered Wed 21-Oct-15 20:20:17

I don't think any of those things falls into UK injustice btw.

rosesarered Wed 21-Oct-15 20:18:51

That's true Ana I can't think there would be many at all.
I remember somebody making a point of going to prison rather than paying their fines.
Homeless people are often helped, but sadly there are a lot of people with mental health issues.
I heard a former rough sleeper and shoplifter say on radio, that often men will commit crimes simply to get back into the system, they prefer prison to life outside. Sad isn't it?

Ana Wed 21-Oct-15 18:46:15

I'm not sure that the number of so-called debtors imprisoned is that great, LuckyDucky.

Most people who run up debts (even in the full knowledge that they won't be able to repay them) are ordered to pay back the money depending on their circumstances, and a prison sentence is the very last resort.

LuckyDucky Wed 21-Oct-15 18:39:36

Unfortunately whitewave there's more than one injustice
and OK nonnie here goes:

1. Homeless - cut red tape to allow homeless legally sign and complete
any HMRC forms, using Job Centres' (JC) or Hostels' addresses. Then they should receive a form of state benefit and gradually become part of the fabric of the UK once they'd found a job and find a sense of worth and hope.

2. Find out why BBC licenses are unpaid. If it's a case of hand-to-mouth,
find help from a knowledgeable volunteer,(e.g. retired tax expert or accountant), to prioritise expenditure. Also, to contact the relevant MP and ask for his/her help, then, ask if they would be prepared to get behind the abolition of the BBC's fee smile. wink

3. I have no idea why debtors are imprisonedconfused It's futile and costly. I'd want to find out what the most frequent debts are, what caused them plus what actions would clear them. Then I'd contact Citizens Advice and other bodies including a commercial radio station to consider if one of their radio journalists would include the item in a discussion. If successful I'd tweet it with the station's knowledge and, see what gives. If the presenter said yes, I'd inform the local paper.

Now I'm out of ideas and need a brew.

Nonnie Wed 21-Oct-15 17:20:57

Would be interesting to hear your solutions Lucky

whitewave Wed 21-Oct-15 16:31:29

Too many issues here it would be much easier to take one at a time I think.

LuckyDucky Wed 21-Oct-15 16:24:07

Ok here is the following:

1. The homeless are fined. If they can't pay. . .they're imprisoned.
2. Those who haven't paid BBC licenses are in prison.
3. An increasing amount of UK children have rickets.
4. Debtors are imprisoned.

Anyone take issue with above?