Gransnet forums

AIBU

Chris Packam

(75 Posts)
grannylyn65 Thu 22-Oct-15 20:55:08

AIBU or is he the most annoying person on the planet??

Atqui Tue 10-Nov-15 14:33:19

I'll try to be polite about Carol Klein too ! I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds her irritating, as I'm sure she is probably a really nice woman. But does she REALLY smile ALL the time?? grin

townie Tue 10-Nov-15 14:17:06

Can't bear Chris P. Or Dawn French !

rosequartz Mon 09-Nov-15 16:01:02

Auntieflo there I was thinking that you spent every afternoon slaving away in the kitchen producing a five course meal.
I get to about 5pm and think 'Oh, I should have taken something out of the freezer!' (to cook, not a ready meal!) grin

loopylou Mon 09-Nov-15 12:03:38

That's putting it very politely Atqui grin

Atqui Mon 09-Nov-15 11:04:10

Chris Packham? Poser!

Auntieflo Mon 09-Nov-15 09:08:18

Rosequartz, I wish I was that organised about the evening meal. grin No, I record the programme and it is a nice wind down time around 5 pm when I watch and relax mostly with a brew, but very occasionally with a wine

rosequartz Sat 07-Nov-15 23:35:22

My word, you must start cooking the evening meal early Auntieflo, it comes on our telly at 3 pm, just when we are having an afternoon cuppa!

I quite like Aled grin

Auntieflo Sat 07-Nov-15 20:21:01

Can't stand Aled Jones who sometimes presents " Escape to the Country" my recorded, wind down programme before I start the evening meal.

rosequartz Sat 07-Nov-15 19:22:04

Does anyone else like Martin Hughes-Games?

He comes across as mad as a hatter but I like him!

rosequartz Sat 07-Nov-15 19:20:19

Carol Vorderman was OK when she started out on Countdown .....

oldgoat Sat 07-Nov-15 18:52:03

A friend met Jeremy Clarkson once and said he seemed like a really good bloke.Well I never!

loopylou Sat 07-Nov-15 18:44:51

I totally agree with him rosequartz, it seems that as soon as they're popular then there's an almost desperate dash to get them presenting anything and everything.

Can't stand Chris Packam, love Clare Balding and Neil Oliver.....until over-exposure begins to irritate me!

rosequartz Sat 07-Nov-15 18:23:49

It is when they start popping up all over the place, presenting programmes that are out of their sphere of expertise, in the press etc etc.
However much you like or admire them, it can get a bit much.

As DH says ', oh no, not so and so again, he/she is everywhere like a rash'

LuckyDucky Sat 07-Nov-15 18:15:25

Chris P presented a series on how animals use their brains.
Any one watch it?

Found out all sorts of interesting facts.

CP was given a chance to work out a solution to the physical puzzle.

Then. a bird was introduced to the 3-4 part puzzle. It looked at it for a few moments, then completed it deftly. smile

NonnaAnnie Sun 25-Oct-15 13:34:35

Couldn't agree more Deedaa, we had to turn it off too, all that jazzy stuff. It makes me so angry as it happens all the time, watching the news the other day and the camera was going around the reporter and he was spinning on the spot? will have to dump the TV soon an resort to radio.

The BBC want to know what we think of them, shall we tell them?

www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/governance/tomorrowsbbc/

durhamjen Sun 25-Oct-15 13:04:54

Chris Packham hasn't upset all the gransnetters. I like him. Or do I not count as a gransnetter, roses?

JamJar1 Sun 25-Oct-15 12:49:13

It's Sue Perkins for me at the moment but she is busy promoting her book so seems to be popping up everywhere.

Tegan Sun 25-Oct-15 10:49:05

I know what you mean rose. I used to love Lucy Worsley until she started popping up on tv all the time..then we joined English Heritage and a lady there told us about meeting her rand how nice she was and suddenly I liked her again [feel the same about Clare Balding who I used to idolise]. Had I not met Chris Packham that time [or listened to a fun interview he gave on R6 a while back]I'd imagine that I'd find him irritating. Dawn French is currently annoying me given that she's promoting her new book and pops up on television all the time [however Tom Jones is doing the same but I find him really funny and watchable]. When anyone puts themselves into the public domain they have to expect to be open to critiscism, but it surprises me sometime what small things can completely change how I feel about someone. Bill Oddie was an odd one, but I always think of him with fondness whenever I see a group of starlings.

rosequartz Sun 25-Oct-15 10:27:00

I'm not saying I don't like Tom Bradby, and was full of admiration for him recently when he did save someone's life recently. I have read a couple of his books and enjoyed them, and enjoyed The Agenda.

However, I found his style of presenting the ITV news at ten very offputting. He should develop a more straightforward style of delivery, not one that hints at his own opinions and prejudices.

Tegan Sun 25-Oct-15 09:31:36

Tom Bradby tried to save someone life whilst on holiday so he's a hero my eyes now. Must admit to not being keen on Neil Oliver but I adore Dan Cruickshank who probably drives everybody except me bonkers! Have started to watch some BBC4 history programmes and had to give up because I haven't found the presenter very inspiring, albeit thankfully sticking with 'The Normans' after looking at the presenter when it first started and thinking 'well, this is going to be dreary'. How wrong I was. Janina Ramirez is probably my favourite these days; I watch anything that she does although often to be amazed at how she walks round ancient monuments in platform heels.

Greyduster Sun 25-Oct-15 09:28:05

Deedaa my DH won't watch Neill Oliver either! I nearly didn't get to watch the last programme about the Celts which I'd recorded because he was fronting it. I wonder if your DH calls him the same names as mine does?

Deedaa Sat 24-Oct-15 21:28:49

DH cannot stand Neil Oliver in anything (I won't say what he calls him!) so I miss all his programmes.

We were watching one of Chris Packham's programmes about unusual weather today. Unfortunately the producer had obviously been on a course entitled "How to make your interesting programmes completely unwatchable" we had to give up on it because the swooping camera and weird angles just made it impossible. Why can't we just have someone standing there telling us things?

rosesarered Sat 24-Oct-15 20:49:07

Poor old Chris Packam, what did he ever do to upset all the Gransnetters?

Ana Sat 24-Oct-15 20:45:49

Neil Oliver is in a class of his own...I could listen to him (and watch him) all day, whatever he was talking about! grin

rosequartz Sat 24-Oct-15 20:14:22

I do rather like Neil Oliver and his C U Jimmy style of presenting though ..... grin