Gransnet forums

AIBU

to expect energy comparison sites to be capable of doing just that

(11 Posts)
M0nica Tue 27-Oct-15 20:23:49

My gas 'fix' ends at the end of this month; after that it is the standard rate or a new deal. I decided to go onto the comparison websites to compare deals. I tried 4: USwitch, Compare the Market, Go Compare and Money Supermarket.

The first on the list was fine. It took all my details registered and produced a list. The other three were useless. Two of them didn't list my current tarriff among my suppliers tarriffs, two of them when asking how I currently paid only listed monthly direct debit. I pay by quarterly direct debit and finally one refused to accept that I had a valid email address so refused to give any data until I had entered it 'correctly'.

It is all very well telling people to check regularly for their best tarriff but if the comparison websites make that exceedingly difficult how does one do it?

mcem Tue 27-Oct-15 21:00:09

I used one of the newer 'group switch' sites. Gave all my details and was told my best bet was Good Energy. The welcome pack arrived and I realised that I'd be paying an extra £230 per year!
Cancelled that and am now looking at Scottish Gas.

Antjexix Tue 27-Oct-15 21:26:17

Whatever you do,do NOT go with npower. Have been with them for 2 years and not had a correct bill once,even though I send a meter reading every month. Have just switched to Eon,probably not much cheaper,but have been with them before and had no problems.

Tegan Tue 27-Oct-15 22:18:48

I pay £63 a month DD and they have increased it to £83 but have now said I have to pay £119 next month. No idea what's going on but going to phone them tomorrow confused.

Antjexix Tue 27-Oct-15 22:38:32

Good luck tegan. They're slippery customers

tinaf1 Wed 28-Oct-15 08:26:49

Have you tried The Big Deal website I used it when my energy deal ended and found it OK

mcem Wed 28-Oct-15 20:23:19

I'm leaving npower. In July 2014 my old electricity meter was replaced. It took until September 2015 to straighten out my bills as they seemed unable to communicate between departments and insisted on over-ruling my readings, saying there was a discrepancy and calculating bills on estimates from the old meter readings!
A dozen phonecalls, several emails and a formal complaints procedure later it was finally sorted out!

durhamjen Wed 28-Oct-15 23:03:58

Guardian is doing a tariff switch at the moment. Registration is until 16th November.
theguardian.com/energy-switch

SSE is a living wage employer, as is OVO energy.

Nelliemoser Thu 29-Oct-15 00:06:32

The insurance comparison web sites are not exactly impartial as several of these sites are owned by insurance companies.

www.independent.co.uk/money/insurance/are-price-comparison-sites-the-real-deal-464598.html

www.which.co.uk/money/money-saving-tips/guides/price-comparison-sites/price-comparison-site-pitfalls/

durhamjen Thu 29-Oct-15 00:10:43

Sorry, but this is about energy switching, not insurance.

durhamjen Thu 29-Oct-15 00:18:09

I looked at the Which report on energy providers, Nellie, and was pleased to see that mine came out on top. However, Which recommended Ovo, which was 4th or 5th on the list. Strange, that.