Gransnet forums

AIBU

National Jigsaw Day today

(31 Posts)
Cambia Tue 03-Nov-15 12:11:25

Apparently it is National Jigsaw Day today. How do these days occur? Does someone just make them up? My son has built up an online jigsaw business and knew nothing about this until yesterday! I do find it encouraging though that lots of families are buying jigsaws to do together as a family and putting the iPads away for a while. I thought it was more a grans activity but perhaps I am biased as I always have one on the go! Have to limit myself as once I start I can't stop - anyone else have the same addiction?

Greyduster Fri 27-Nov-15 15:28:33

I can't get on with jigsaws, though I don't mind putting a few pieces in one somebody else is doing! DH, on the other hand, loves them and once he gets going it is to the exclusion of all else - if GS comes round, both of the are lost to the world. And I hate eating off trays while the dining room table is covered in bits.

dancingnana1 Fri 27-Nov-15 12:50:08

I am new to jigsaws. I have begun with 500 piece jigsaws. I had a stroke 4 years ago and have found doing jigsaws has been good for my coordination. My dh made me a board with a lip all around the sides so that the pieces don't fall off. The board slips easily under my chair in the living room when not in use.
I find that jigsaws are very addictive!

mollie Fri 27-Nov-15 12:33:56

I haven't done a jigsaw in years but bought a couple last Christmas. I was so disappointed with the quality, they were flimsy cardboard and not much fun to use so I got half way through one puzzle and gave up. The other's untouched. But I'm very tempted buy the RT Christmas jigsaw this year...

DanielMorris Fri 27-Nov-15 09:09:44

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

rosequartz Thu 05-Nov-15 15:20:28

I have just looked at a Wentworth puzzle online - I would love to buy it for DH but it only goes up to 250 pieces.

Cambia Thu 05-Nov-15 14:46:26

That's the best bit sorting out the straight edges. I think I just like putting things in order. Very sad. My DH bought me a t shirt that said I don't have OCD's I have CDO"s as I like them in order!

Cambia Thu 05-Nov-15 14:43:56

The Wentworth ones are just gorgeous but they are really family heirlooms as they are too nice to pass on. They are a solid wooden piece and so nice to do. I have been coveting a 1000 piece one but I think they are around a £100 and I can't quite justify that. On my list for when I win the lottery along with the Montblanc fountain pen!

ninathenana Wed 04-Nov-15 16:40:18

grannya Yikes ! I couldn't afford those the rate I get through them

Nelliemoser Wed 04-Nov-15 16:34:08

Indinana My son bought me one of these years ago. You can zip the board up and if you are careful opening it the pieces stay put. It is really useful.
See the picture in the link.

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2670892.htm

Nelliemoser Wed 04-Nov-15 16:26:13

I only do jigsaw puzzles just after Christmas. Always 1000 piece ones I usually do two between Christmas and New Year.

I really enjoy them. I buy them from charity shops and take them back to a different one. I rarely get one that is not complete.

MiniMouse Wed 04-Nov-15 16:06:17

Cambia I couldn't work out what you meant at first! Yes, that would have added to the challenge grin I should have said "turn it 180° !!

grannyactivist Wed 04-Nov-15 16:05:09

In our family we have a tradition of doing a jigsaw in the days leading up to Christmas and also on family holidays. When we went away with our 25 year old son last week he had bought a 1000 piece puzzle for the occasion and happily plugged away at it for the next few days with a bit of help from his wife and his father.

My children and grandchildren especially love the wooden puzzles from Wentworth, featuring their beautiful whimsy pieces. My parents in law used to buy the 'stocking' filler puzzles for my children when they were younger. I've bought this one for my son for Christmas. www.wentworthpuzzles.com/shop-all-wooden-puzzles/seasonal/christmas/575101.htm That should keep him occupied for a while. grin

vampirequeen Wed 04-Nov-15 15:03:18

I can't even sort out the flat edges from the other bits lol.

Cambia Wed 04-Nov-15 14:49:51

Have to ration jisaw time to a reward in the afternoon after all the jobs are done or I would never do anything! Quite nice when it is dark and foggy to light the fire and settle down. I love semi retirement! Still working on a 2000 piece Clementoni one which is taking me ages. Nice to know I am not alone.

Not sure I would like the online ones as I like to pick up the box and shake the pieces all around!!!

Cambia Wed 04-Nov-15 14:44:49

Minimouse I thought at first you meant upside down! That would be a challenge, then realised what you meant!!

ninathenana Wed 04-Nov-15 13:34:45

?? Pogs

POGS Wed 04-Nov-15 11:48:14

Test

MiniMouse Wed 04-Nov-15 07:37:00

vampirequeen Have you tried turning the jigsaw, so that it's upside down? I used to sit opposite my DM when we did one together and that's when I discovered that I find them easier to do! Not sure what that says about me blush

NfkDumpling Wed 04-Nov-15 07:23:58

Thanks for the link yogagran, NT only is today National Candy Day but it's also Chicken Lady Day!

(OK it's only in the USA but that just means I can be picky - and chocolate is candy isn't it?)

LullyDully Wed 04-Nov-15 02:46:33

Give me a crossword, jigsaw drive me mad. DH buys one every Christmas so everyone can casually add to it and then becomes totally addicted himself.

vampirequeen Tue 03-Nov-15 20:55:09

I can't do jigsaws. I just don't seem able to 'see' how the pieces fit together. I start to struggle once I get to around 20 pieces [embarrassed]

I often wondered who decided on named days too. I suspect the card manufacturers have a hand in it. There is a episode of the Simpsons that rings true. They looked at the calendar and saw card times at New Year, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Hallowe'en, Thanksgiving and Christmas. They realised that there was a gap between Father's Day and Hallowe'en so they invented Love Day. They promoted this new holiday and sure enough people bought cards, gifts and tat. Admittedly this was a cartoon show but it seems that people do that in the real world too.

Elrel Tue 03-Nov-15 20:47:19

Well, today is Sandwich and Housewives Day - go together rather well. Next we have National Candy Day followed by National Doughnut Day - does Homer Simpson have a greedy yellow hand in this?
I'll go for National Saxophone Day on 5th but really!! What load of old American cobblers!

yogagran Tue 03-Nov-15 20:23:02

Seems that every day is a "national day", have a look at this:

nationaldaycalendar.com/latest-posts/

rosesarered Tue 03-Nov-15 20:01:12

Who thinks up these days? Ummm, jigsaw makers?
There is an iPad app, you can do jigsaws online, I have one, there are hundreds of jigsaws on it, and no storage problems.

Indinana Tue 03-Nov-15 19:37:09

I love jigsaws, but I can't afford to give up the dining room to do them, because it's completely given over to the the sewing machine, fabric, patterns, cottons, cutting mat etc. etc. We eat either at the kitchen table or on trays in the living room (unless we have guests when I have to do a quick clear up!).
So at the moment my jigsaw addiction is confined to doing online ones - there is a great site which has thousands of them and I tend to do a couple a day. Obviously fewer pieces, but still enjoyable.