Gransnet forums

AIBU

to shout at Adele.......

(36 Posts)
FarNorth Mon 16-Nov-15 17:00:36

.......when she comes on the radio with "Hello, it's me, wail, wail, wail".
I tell her she needs to get over it and move on, and other less polite things. Clearly I'm not the target audience!!

gettingonabit Tue 17-Nov-15 21:11:44

I think it's a hard syllable to sing, particularly for a Londoner. The "l" sound kind of stops in the mouth.

Tony Hadley used to do it on "Gold" - indestructable came out as indestrucabooooo....his accent, I suppose. Irritated the hell out of me, for some reason.

Ana Tue 17-Nov-15 19:38:54

Regional accent, I mean - Totteham.

Ana Tue 17-Nov-15 19:38:21

No. I think it's just her accent.

rosesarered Tue 17-Nov-15 19:36:46

I must listen to that song again, for the tumboos bit, does she maybe have a speech impediment?

LullyDully Tue 17-Nov-15 18:39:21

I think Adele is very talented . she lives me goose bumps with her haunting voice. I don't think it would suit happy, poppy songs. I often listen to the last album. Good to hear her back for a while.

Ana Tue 17-Nov-15 18:25:28

Yes, it was OK, except for the 'when it tumbles' line sounding like 'when it tumboos'. It really irritated me, you'd think that for such a high-profile song someone would have made sure she got it right!

rosesarered Tue 17-Nov-15 18:21:40

Really don't know much about her, but didn't she sing the title song for the Bond movie Skyfall? which I thought was brilliant.

Eloethan Tue 17-Nov-15 12:19:19

I quite like some of her songs too but there seems to be little light and shade in her delivery of them. I have heard more subtle and moving renditions of some of her well known songs.

I went off her anyway when she complained about paying tax.

bookdreamer Tue 17-Nov-15 10:25:45

Marmark1. Awful woman? You know her personally?

ninathenana Tue 17-Nov-15 09:27:24

I love her voice and her individual style. As Iam says it's good she's not from the usual mould.
But I commented to DH that that green and gold brocade dress she's worn a couple of times looks like her grannies curtains. grin

downtoearth Tue 17-Nov-15 08:57:18

I have only one favourite "set fire to the rain" the remix version....although I like her voice I do find her songs quite depressing.....she reminds me of Alison Moyet and I cannot stand Hello the latest it has to be turned off until it has finished

Teetime Tue 17-Nov-15 08:50:31

I quite like some of Adele's songs and I think she will get better BUT I was in a hairdressers once who played the one I call her 'miserable' album on a loop - I felt depressed when I got out of there.

gettingonabit Tue 17-Nov-15 08:47:03

Mmmm....I'd put her above the likes of Rihanna, Britney et al, but perhaps below Amy W, who in my view had originality and an edge that made her stand out. To my mind, Adele's songs are too formulaic to be considered great, and her voice, whilst ok, is not great either. I like her look but I don't think that's important anyway as a musician. Her songs are bland but well-produced. I'd put her on my "perhaps later" pile of cds, but I can kind of understand her popularity. She has a kind of mass appeal, and perhaps that's enough. She writes her own songs and sings them from the heart. She has a personality that appeals.

Great though? No, not in my view anyway.

Iam64 Tue 17-Nov-15 07:23:48

That's a dismissive way to describe Adele, who is a real talent. One of the things to admire about her is the fact she has her own look and doesn't follow the over made up, skinny, big bottomed/big breasts look that so many young women seem driven to aspire towards. Go Adele grin

Deedaa Mon 16-Nov-15 21:59:11

I don't get her at all. Nice enough voice but nothing special and her hair, make up and clothes always look so middle aged,

whenim64 Mon 16-Nov-15 21:49:51

I like Adele. Great girl, very funny and she has written and sung some brilliant songs. Her album is on my Christmas list.

petra Mon 16-Nov-15 21:45:16

She can do anything she likes. She's great. I can still remember the first time I saw her in 2008.

Iam64 Mon 16-Nov-15 21:09:53

Great voiceimo

grannylyn65 Mon 16-Nov-15 20:22:59

Never mind I'll find someone like you, was her last 'hit'

Ana Mon 16-Nov-15 20:13:04

Never mind what? confused

grannylyn65 Mon 16-Nov-15 20:07:26

Never Mind !

Alea Mon 16-Nov-15 20:03:10

Did she used to do the song about "chasing pavements"? I always associated it with debt collectors as I thought she was singing about "chasing payments" [confuse]

Ana Mon 16-Nov-15 19:35:33

(in her songs, I mean, I don't care how she talks in real life!)

Ana Mon 16-Nov-15 19:34:16

I do like some of her songs, and admire her as a songwriter, but it really irritates me the way she pronounces words such as 'table' as 'tayboo'...

Antjexix Mon 16-Nov-15 19:31:44

Not my cup of tea,far too depressing