Gransnet forums

AIBU

I'm afraid I swore in public (bad Marelli....)!

(98 Posts)
Marelli Mon 30-Nov-15 17:03:35

So, because I'm all 'het-up', I'm coming to Gransnet to confess shock.
Our street is very narrow, and can be difficult to negotiate in a car, especially when turning in from the busy Main Street. People, therefore, park on the one side so that cars can move up and down more easily. However, when I turned into the street this afternoon, someone had parked on the opposite side as well, leaving a very narrow gap to squeeze through. As the chap was just leaving his car to go into a shop, I wound down my window and asked him if he could move the car a bit so I could get through safely. He replied, "Have you got a licence?" I responded that I most certainly did, but did he - as he had parked so inconsiderately? I kept trying to get through, then gave up as I was worried I would damage 3 cars - mine, his and the car parked on the 'normal side'. I reversed and asked him (he was progressing in a leisurely fashion to the Spar shop on the corner), if he could move his car. He again said I shouldn't have a licence if I couldn't get through that space. At this, his missus got out of the car and repeated what he'd said. Well, that did it! I'm afraid I swore (a bad word)! I think it went something like this: "All you had to do was f...ing move it a wee bit!"
They both sneered - especially his wife, who said "A woman - swearing..." By now there was a queue of cars behind me, all building up onto the main road, the one directly behind me being a large 4x4. I squeezed through, bit by bit, and parked in my usual place outside my house. Looking back down the road, I saw said 4x4 driver also having a wee discussion with this person.
I was so angry at myself for swearing. blush, so I went back to the man who had, by this time got back into his car. I asked him to roll his window down, which he did, reluctantly. I apologised for swearing, saying that I'd been rude. They were both horrified that, as a woman, I'd sworn.... hmm By this time, having done my best to make whatever amends needed, I told them that they really did need to get a life, and came back into the house.
There, I feel better now. I'm still shaking, but I think that could be something to do with the sugar-rush of the chocolate cookie I had earlier this afternoon.... wink
Sorry about the long post, but I needed to tell it all!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 21-Dec-15 12:29:30

tchsmile !

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 21-Dec-15 12:28:56

That's ok Alima. [tchsmle]

Glad you were happy with it anyway Bellanonna. So good to know. can't do without your opinion. tchhmmtchgrin

Would never dream of using the c word. Who would even think it? And Why?

Bellanonna Mon 21-Dec-15 12:22:05

Talking of swearing I have never used the C word as I think it is so demeaning to women, one bloke calling another a C implying he is nothing more than a female. I say I've never used it but I'm actually saving it for some man person who may anger me greatly. By the same token, if C just refers to female physiology surely dick, prick, etc are equally offensive but we ( some) use them more readily. I don't, I admit.

Bellanonna Mon 21-Dec-15 12:17:00

I took your drink comment as being jokey Alima. Jbf usually has a better sense of humour! [surprised]

Alima Mon 21-Dec-15 11:17:56

JBF, I do apologise. Thing is, I have had some nasty incidents involving steps in the past and each time was the worse for drink. (The best way imo as it doesn't hurt till the stitches are removed). Really should not judge others by my own misfortunes. Having signed the pledge many years ago I must confess that my forays into using gutter language now occur when completely sober. I am too ashamed to detail the last one on here. Suffice to say it involved DH gliding across the floor like the sugar plum fairy. Sadly my exclamation rhymed with gnat. Luckily DGS was not around at the time.

Ana Mon 21-Dec-15 11:05:05

I'd say that was a very promising start, Jane10! tchgrin

Jane10 Mon 21-Dec-15 10:50:02

My swearing practice last night was not an unmixed success: I had failed to warn DH so he came over a bit faint and had to have a wee lie down and we haven't seen the cat since but, on the plus side the noisy neighbours across the landing seem to have poked a white flag through their letter box. Well its a start.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 21-Dec-15 10:39:30

I'll bet we all swear when stressed. We hear it everywhere these days so it would be superhuman not to. Perhaps you are superhuman Alima.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 21-Dec-15 10:36:54

angry Really cross about that post.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 21-Dec-15 10:35:53

Alima! I don't even drink! Bloody cheek. Unless you were joking. Bad joke IMO.

Auntieflo Mon 21-Dec-15 09:47:25

I'm not a swearer, but have been known recently to use the odd ' shit'. On Friday DH took me to Tesco and we borrowed a wheelchair, complete with trolley attached to the front, crutches in trolley, so we were not an insignificant cavalcade. Or so you would have thought, but to many we appeared invisible, looking very surprised when asked " excuse me". My knee is still a bit painful smile so if anyone had knocked me I may have sworn a bit. Although I must say the Tesco staff couldn't have been more helpful.

Teetime Mon 21-Dec-15 09:32:39

Marelli I totally sympathise and I am impressed that you went back to apolgise - they should have had the grace to accept your apology and not make judgmental comments.

I'm a swearer when provoked - you should hear me on the golf course. DH of course is a gentleman and rarely swears and never at other people but then as I have said before I look up to him because he is middle class - I know my place!.

Riverwalk Mon 21-Dec-15 09:32:32

The sheer cheek and entitlement of some people never ceases to amaze.

I was recently pushing a patient along in his wheelchair, his wife walking besides, so we were two across and it was quite a wide pavement. Coming towards us, three abreast, a 30-something mother with two 7/8 year old girls, all three on little scooters.

The mother obviously expected us to stop and make way as they came to a dead stop right in front of us.

"Fuck!" she said in a very posh accent and reluctantly moved aside.

Jane10 Mon 21-Dec-15 09:27:22

Finnochio - reckon it could be more of a f***ing blockbuster than a novella! In the film Helen Mirren could be CO but I'd like to cast Patricia Routledge somewhere. The uniforms would naturally feature pastel cardis and beige macs to increase the element of surprise in attacks.

downtoearth Mon 21-Dec-15 09:24:25

Grans Army springs to mind with the home guard grin

Oh by the way can I be sworn in, my strengths are bollocks in public places when facing perversity....and f...k off when facing jobsworths...I can do covert operations due to my indulgence of people watching ....roger roger..

Alima Mon 21-Dec-15 09:14:44

JBF, do you ever visit the house of God when sober?
Jane 10, when they turn the exploits into a film Helen Mirren would be great as the lead. Mouth like a docker!

ffinnochio Mon 21-Dec-15 08:46:46

Jane 10 I think you have the makings of a comic novella with the swearing granny brigade. wink

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 21-Dec-15 08:44:12

You haven't really sworn until you've said "Shite me!" when stumbling down a cathedral step. Or "Oh my God!" when doing the same thing on entering a church. Why did they put steps everywhere in very old churches? tchconfused

Jane10 Mon 21-Dec-15 08:37:30

With Prince Philip as patron we could form the Royal Expletive Corps. A crack team of swearing Grans who could come to the rescue of Grans being bullied in public places. Could also operate under cover for surprise attacks. Oh no! Am getting carried away -might be literally too. Och.

Jane10 Sun 20-Dec-15 21:30:16

Just in case soldier. We run a health and safety swearing unit here. No need to take dangerous risks.

annodomini Sun 20-Dec-15 21:27:09

PS Dentures? What dentures?

annodomini Sun 20-Dec-15 21:25:09

Too right, Jane10. Once, after an altercation in the Asda car park, I was slightly put out on hearing DS, aged 3, telling his dad, 'We saw a sod in the car park today, Daddy.' tchblush

Jane10 Sun 20-Dec-15 20:40:06

Also prior to commencement please ensure that any pets or DGC are safely out of earshot. Thank you.

Jane10 Sun 20-Dec-15 20:38:50

Right. Virtual practice. 10pm tonight. All GNers let fly for one solid minute. Key things to aim for -variety of swear word, volume and intensity. Everyone please remember to fix dentures securely before commencing. I will look forward to hearing how everyone got on. Off now for a good gargle and warm up!

Wheniwasyourage Sun 20-Dec-15 20:15:42

Sorry, that was to Jane10, but welcome, Ana. We're going places now. Watch out, all you ****s who want to be rude to our fellow GNers!