Gransnet forums

AIBU

Nigella and her licorice box [confused]

(14 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Mon 30-Nov-15 21:25:06

(Was not sure what thread to place this on).
So am I the only one that doesn't know what to make of Nigella and her licorice box.
Does any GNers have such a thing or even any items in the box.
She didn't say where to buy any of the items in the box, even the licorice powder used in the recipe confused

merlotgran Mon 30-Nov-15 21:37:01

She doesn't give any measurements for ingredients either - just seems to chuck stuff in willy nilly. Might be OK for a marinade but a cake??

merlotgran Mon 30-Nov-15 21:37:25

weights, I mean, not measurements.

vampirequeen Mon 30-Nov-15 21:38:33

Is it so that you have to buy her book?

merlotgran Mon 30-Nov-15 21:42:22

Oh yes. I'm sure it is but I won't be buying it.

Alea Mon 30-Nov-15 21:57:39

I have just bought the book ( from that well known S American river) for a fraction of the cover price. It only came today so I have not checked, but I am sure she will give exact quantities!
The only time. I have ever used her recipes in the past, they have actually worked well.

Cherrytree59 Mon 30-Nov-15 22:05:41

Oh heck. Licorice or liquorice???

ninathenana Tue 01-Dec-15 10:07:00

Cherrytree looking at Holland & Barratt site it can be spelt either way. smile
Presumably depending on which side of the pond you live.

Liquorice powder is available on Amazon.

Stansgran Tue 01-Dec-15 10:40:33

What do your teeth look like after a piece of that cake? If it is a cake #dontwatchthecookeryprogrammes

Alea Tue 01-Dec-15 11:10:19

And the recipe gives exact quantities. Might give it a try with my new BFF. (Santa came early!!)
Reminds me of a birthday cake I once made for DD, a nest covered in dark brown icing with little Easter eggs in it. I had read somewhere that adding a little blue food colouring to the chocolate would intensify the brown.
Yep, the children all went home with blue mouths and grey teeth.
tchblush

kittylester Tue 01-Dec-15 11:49:02

Love it Alea. Love the mixer too, I use mine loads.

I love Nigella's recipes and use more recipes from her books than from those of any other chef except maybe Nigel Slater (who rarely gives quantities!)

hildajenniJ Tue 01-Dec-15 14:28:21

I can't be doing with Nigella, she annoys me and I can't bear to watch. My go to recipe books are the Hairy Bikers. I think I have them all!

LullyDully Tue 01-Dec-15 17:16:05

Her recipes are good. Try her Christmas Rocky Road. DGCH made it for school staff and relatives last year......yummy!!!!! Not good for after Christmas diets.

LullyDully Tue 01-Dec-15 17:16:41

P.S. recipe on line