Gransnet forums

AIBU

Shooting at Care Home

(12 Posts)
NanKate Wed 30-Dec-15 15:32:35

What a desperately sad story of the man in his 80s who went to visit his wife in her Care Home and shot her because he said she had had enough. She had dementia.

I do hope he isn't sent to prison.

Luckygirl Wed 30-Dec-15 15:41:21

It sounds as though he had been staying there himself over Christmas. It would be easy to bring a small gun in in his suitcase. I am not sure how it could have been prevented, but it does seem odd that he did it in the lounge (apparently) rather than in their own room.

What a sad end to a shared life - but I am sure that there are many of us who can understand how he felt - not many would see it through though. Just sad all round - and very scary for the other residents and the staff.

Stansgran Wed 30-Dec-15 15:57:46

Yes but he should have shot himself as well.

Anya Wed 30-Dec-15 16:07:56

Why?

Indinana Wed 30-Dec-15 16:08:51

There was a similar incident in our neighbourhood some years ago, where a woman in her 80's stabbed her husband to death because she could no longer cope with the stress of his failing health, and having to care for him while suffering from depression herself.
Such a terribly sad way for a marriage to end, after all the happy - and sad - times they must have been through together.

phoenix Wed 30-Dec-15 16:52:22

As I understand it, he WAS trying to shoot himself, but due to a disability couldn't manage to do it.

Teetime Wed 30-Dec-15 16:54:06

Oh dear this is a terribly sad story. I wonder how many couples would like to make a pact though. Does it raise the question of euthanasia again?

Jane10 Wed 30-Dec-15 17:06:17

Their poor families. Did they have children?

Luckygirl Wed 30-Dec-15 17:09:14

I know someone who, when she was diagnosed with early dementia, took her own life because she did not want her children to have to see her decline or to look after her. Very sad; but also courageous.

KatyK Wed 30-Dec-15 17:22:06

I was just reading about this. Goodness knows what someone has been through to drive them to this. I read that the man was on crutches and only has one arm. What horrors has he been through in his life I wonder and to end up with his wife in this position. Poor souls.

LullyDully Wed 30-Dec-15 18:46:38

I am coming to the conclusion that getting old is problematic..

Such a sad story....he was brave but shooting her was extreme. Only choice open to him I presume.
I just wonder how the law withheld deal we him.

Riverwalk Wed 30-Dec-15 19:00:03

Only choice open to him I presume ??