Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are we over emotional ?

(161 Posts)
NanKate Mon 11-Jan-16 15:25:35

I woke up this morning to the sad news of the death of David Bowie.

Every time I have switched on the radio or BBC News24 that is the main topic of conversation The 1.00 o'clock news was predominantly about his life.

Don't get me wrong this news needs to be covered, but I just feel it rather too much. Hope I am not becoming an old cynic.

What do others think ?

Jalima Tue 12-Jan-16 20:07:43

And thank goodness they are not making 'food drops' from planes, they have sent in convoys of lorries, so I hope it gets through to the right people.

Digressing again, but answering a couple of previous posts re more important news!

Evertheoptimist Tue 12-Jan-16 20:00:01

I grew up loving David Bowie's music. I'm sad that he's gone but have enjoyed all the music/documentaries over the past 2 days.
But I've just realised that I always read threads to see what jinglbellsfrocks has commented and what others think of it!!! Usually hilarious! grin

Jalima Tue 12-Jan-16 19:58:56

Alvin Stardust
No, grumppa, Alvin was previously Shane Fenton (of Shane Fenton and the Fentones) and aka Bernard William Jewry (27 September 1942 – 23 October 2014)
It says on Wikipedia that he was from Muswell Hill, but I always thought he was from Fenton in the Potteries, as he had (I thought) a Potteries accent.

Anyway, I digress, back to over-emotional.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Jan-16 19:42:29

shock Perhaps I've said enough now!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Jan-16 19:42:09

perhaps he thought he was going to get a second coming

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Jan-16 19:41:26

I think it's a horrible video! grin Makes me to NOT want to buy the album.

Daddima Tue 12-Jan-16 19:23:23

I think it has obviously been a " slow news day"!

I was never a fan, but can understand people who were fans being sad. What makes me shout at the radio are phrases like " the world is in mourning", or " outpouring of grief".

Anyway, Jinglebellsfrocks, I looked at the video too, and found it really creepy ( and not very good!)

I also thought "Lazarus" was a strange name for it. Lazarus rose again, didn't he?

Ana Tue 12-Jan-16 19:21:38

You're not the only one, jngl. The first sentence of your post, WhenIWas didn't make sense to me at all...

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Jan-16 19:16:13

story

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Jan-16 19:15:57

I didn't finish that! (I've got low blood sugar - long stry)

The rest of it is:

Nope! I can't make head nor tail of that. confused

I'm sorry. I don't seem to have any idea what anyone is saying on here today!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Jan-16 19:14:21

" I think your saying that the "evil bastards" .... would have triumphed if we didn't spend enough time mourning (if one can really mourn someone who was a complete stranger) David Bowie was bizarre."

Anniebach Tue 12-Jan-16 19:13:23

tigger, newsreaders and reporters are not there to please themselves

Wheniwasyourage Tue 12-Jan-16 19:10:01

jingl, I think your saying that the "evil bastards" - and yes, thank you, I knew who you meant - would have triumphed if we didn't spend enough time mourning (if one can really mourn someone who was a complete stranger) David Bowie was bizarre. While it is right to feel sorry for the family of anyone who dies, I don't think we need the endless news coverage. In my case, David Bowie was not someone special and I chose not to watch the news as much as I usually do so as not to have to put up with what I thought were over-emotional reactions. I hope this post is not too long for you.

M0nica Tue 12-Jan-16 18:57:21

The antidote to long postsgrin

M0nica Tue 12-Jan-16 18:56:45

The DM on the other hand relegated him to page 6. Their front page headline was the resignation of the head of the Environment Agency

Ana Tue 12-Jan-16 18:50:14

Perhaps they have a whole stack of pre-prepared stuff for people in the media who are getting on a bit!

And I wouldn't underestimate the ability of newspapers to rise to the occasion - they had quite a lot of time and plently of staff available to prepare that supplement.

M0nica Tue 12-Jan-16 18:45:46

The Independent had a whole supplement devoted to Bowie. They cannot have put that together overnight, were they expecting it? And they had pages and pages devoted to him in the main paper.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Jan-16 18:28:12

confused Totally.

tigger Tue 12-Jan-16 17:59:59

But jinglebellsfrock, I need to keep my posts short so you can process them

tigger Tue 12-Jan-16 17:58:52

wilmerknickersfit - I wasn't referring to this thread

TriciaF Tue 12-Jan-16 17:41:32

1)George Gershwin ( sorry, that's stretching it.)
2) Bob Dylan
But more up to date Dear old Macca, still going strong .

gettingonabit Tue 12-Jan-16 17:30:26

Burt Bacharach. Without a doubt.smile

NanKate Tue 12-Jan-16 16:32:37

This is almost a new thread on its own.

Greatest popular entertainer/artist of C20

For me it would be,

Elvis Presley
Michael Jackson
Freddie Mercury
John Lennon
Tina Turner

What are your favourites Gransnetters ?

JessM Tue 12-Jan-16 15:50:47

I can see why his image is on the front page of every national paper today - photogenic and photo-loving creature that he was. TBH I was much too busy being a mum in the 70s to pay any attention to him.
Most of those grieving are men in their 50s - the group who run the media.
I agree with the Welsh news on S4C that gave him a minute just before the sports news. But not with the pundit who said (If i understood correctly) that he was the greatest artist of the 20th c.
I think Picasso is my nomination.

Jayh Tue 12-Jan-16 15:43:52

I am not surprised that the BBC has received complaints about the coverage time given to this event. I thought it was too much when there are so many other newsworthy items to report. I wanted to know how the food drops in Syria were going.
My hard hearted husband said this morning 'It's one day AB.(after Bowie).'
I think he thought it was too much as well.
However, it is sad when famous people die and it is natural,if you are a fan, to feel a sense of loss.